What's new

Newbie with thick beard/hair - blade suggestions?

Hey guys, I've only wet shaved about 5 or 6 times and had a questions about which razor is best for a guy with thicker facial hair. I started off with a Merkur that came with my long handle DE, and I was quite impressed with how it worked. Only got razor burn the first time due to applying a little pressure. I feel like I liked these a good bit, but I do read quite a few negative reviews on them.

Just switched to a Feather razor, and it was quite sharp but also nice. I hadn't shaved for about 4 days and this sliced my beard completely off on the first go with the grain, and cleaned up the rest against the grain. Although I need notice a few bumps on my face which got cut from the shave - but this was probably from irritation of the longer hair and from facial hair oils. I'll try it again in a few days to see which I prefer.

So I'm basically asking: For those with thick and dark facial hair, which blade works best?

also my brush has lost a few hairs the first few shaves, just one the last time - is this from braking in or should I be concerned? Fairly decent brush, Kingsley Badger: http://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Badg...8&qid=1360094157&sr=8-8&keywords=badger+brush

Thanks!

I strongly recommend a blade sampler that has Personna, Astra SP and Feather blades. Westcoastshaving has good sets. The best way to find a blade that matches your face and razor is try as many as possible.
I like Personna blades.

Welcome to B&B!
Im not too familiar with Kingsley Badger Brushes. Brush shedding can be a normal occurrence, as long as it doesn't get out of control. The first few uses is normal to shed a bit, but if it continues with each shave there could be an issue. At this stage of your use I'd still call it 'normal'.
As far as blades go, that's very subjective. If you enjoy the Merkur's, don't let bad reviews change your mind. What works for one person, may not work for another. Try as many blades as you can until you find the magic one. For me, Blue Bird's work fantastic, so do Gillette 7'oclock Yellows. I have thick dark hair and sensitive skin (So I think).

I strongly recommend a blade sampler that has Personna, Astra SP and Feather blades. Westcoastshaving has good sets. The best way to find a blade that matches your face and razor is try as many as possible.
I like Personna blades.

+1. A blade sampler is a great starting point. Every razor and person has the right blade; it's simply a matter of finding it. Your technique will evolve over time, so hang onto those blades you thought were no good, and give them another try a month or two down the line. They may have improved. Enjoy your shaves!

strop

Now half as wise
Blades are a really personal choice. Sounds like you have 2 that seem to work for you. There really isn't one best blade. The other thing to remember is that your technique will improve over time, and blades that you thought at one time weren't very good may seem a lot better for you. Some find different blades work better in different razors for them as well. It's all part of the journey that makes this fun.

my only advice is..try a straight razor and with heavy weight to it...it doesnt mind any thicknessof anyones face whatsoever...:laugh:..but if you want a good DE blade...try a Treet Carbon Steel..sometime ago I had a friend send me a bunch of beand new carbon steel blades..felt better than coated blades IMO

Well, for blades it is really a personal thing, but my coarse and dark hair really enjoys the Super Iridiums. You can still get them.
With razors, it will really depend on you. The Merkur Progress is a great adjustable, the Weber razors are very fine, or you could try an open-comb razors such as the older Gillettes as the New, Single Ring, et cetera.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty new as well and my hair sounds similar to yours. I've tried Derby, Personna Med (but realized blade edge was bent so won't comment), Super Iridium, and Gillette 7 o'clock blacks. The 7 o'clock black were the best by a long shot. I've also read a lot of good reviews for them on here. Blades are very subjective though.

Being a new guy in the same situation I agree with the variety pack solution. It's what introduced me to Astra SP which work quite well for me but maybe your feel for them will be different than mine.

I would have thick dark and fast growing facial hair and so far I like a feathers in a Merkur 39C slant bar a lot.

In my fatboy I find the feathers too harsh - still trying out some options there.

Your best bet is to get a sample pack and try each option for 3 or 4 shaves. There's one out there for you.

Like others have said, blade choice is quite subjective, and often it's the razor that makes the difference. The Muhle R41 with an Astra SP will mow through the toughest, thickest, heaviest growth with the lightest of touches (of course YMMV applies ;)

Top Bottom