What's new

To Music or Not to Music ?

Hey everyone got a question for you. As you shave do you listen to music and if so what do you listen to??
Today will be my first day shaving with a DE and I think I am should go with some smooth or calming maybe something Irish.
:barbershop_quartet_:badger::clover:

No music for me. Most mornings, if I listen to anything but the sound of whiskers being dispatched, I just listen to the news on NPR through the bathroom door.

Last edited:
For me, its the gentle whir of air through the vents, the light trickle of water escaping past the leaky stopper, and the sounds of stubble popping off of the chin.

But if I was doing music, it'd be something with some big-band swing, or some smooth blues.

Do as you like, but I prefer peace and quiet. But then again, I'm probably a lot older than you! :001_huh:

+1. For one just starting out, the benefit of audible feedback can be very helpful. By eliminating as much ambient noise as practible, it's easier to zero in on the best angle for mowing down whiskers. Whatever you decide, enjoy your shave!

I don't unless I remember to bring my mobile phone in the bathroom.
That might be 1 time in 100.
It's nice to hear the sound of the razor doing it's work.

I usually listen to NPR while I shave to get the news and some talk radio. I'm an NPR junkie, so that's just me. But if I weren't, I would be listening to music.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I do, either classic rock, jazz, blues or classical music. I use two different app on my ipod: Songza or Tunein Radio.

For me, its the gentle whir of air through the vents, the light trickle of water escaping past the leaky stopper, and the sounds of stubble popping off of the chin.

But if I was doing music, it'd be something with some big-band swing, or some smooth blues.

I love big bands and some blues. My husband is a huge blues fan so I get a lot good music from him.

+1. For one just starting out, the benefit of audible feedback can be very helpful. By eliminating as much ambient noise as practible, it's easier to zero in on the best angle for mowing down whiskers. Whatever you decide, enjoy your shave!

Jim,
I couldn't find the cd I wanted so I went with Mumford and Sons Babel. I had it loud for my shower and prep but once I started shaving I noticed I couldn't hear it so I turned the music way down. After my first leg and the cd had replayed for the third time I went to my MP3 player. I kept it low so I could hear the blade cut. I really like that sound. Probably why I loved watching my dad shave when I was younger was to hear it cut.

I usually listen to NPR while I shave to get the news and some talk radio. I'm an NPR junkie, so that's just me. But if I weren't, I would be listening to music.

I really like NPR and maybe next time I will plug them in. I really like listening to Flogging Molly and She Wants Revenge today. But as my moods change so does my music.

Thanks everyone for your feed back. I ended up with Mumford and Sons Babel for a while then switch to my MP3. Had lots of Flogging Molly, She Wants Revenge, White Lies, and others. I noticed when I was around my knees shaving I really had to focus since this was my first time shaving with a DE but I got the hang on it. I really enjoyed the sound of it. You just don't get that with a crappy oh I mean a cartage razor.

For my husband he likes the heaters on full and as little back ground sounds as possible.

I'll usually bring in my phone if I'm listening to audio books, that way I can keep going on with the store while I'm in the shower and while I'm shaving.

I'm usually shaving very early in the morning so out of consideration for my wife no music - I'm not averse to the idea though (although I do think the auditory feedback of the stubble popping is a good thing and quite relaxing in a zen sort of way itself).

My personal wish would some day to be able to shave looking out over a nice landscape rather than just the mirror of my bathroom. When I'm on holiday I'll take a travel mirror, scuttle etc. and go out on the balcony of whereever I am to get a nice view. It's lovely.

Top Bottom