What's new

Switching soaps?

So I've been at this for abit less than a week, giving my face time to calm down in-between shaves, I've gotten the hang of proper lathering now and the angles and pressure all seem to be falling into place.

As it stands I'm using the Wilkinson Sword blue container soap. I wanted something a little better. So I went out and treated myself to some Trumpers Almond soap and picked up a puck of Col.Conk Lime. Should I wait until I run out of the Wilkinson then switch, or is there no problem switching up soaps from shave to shave?

Check the posts and you will see most Gents here keep dozens of soaps and change them all the time. I have 9 in my rotation. I can't remember when I used the same soap 2 days in a row.

I agree with the gents above, variety is the spice of life. And what good is a soap if it just has to sit unused? :)

I hope you'll enjoy them!

I have 3 soaps going on now. Someday I feel like Col. Conk bay rum, or Katmando, or I may feel like Polo Blue. I also keep them in different kinds of containers too. I use a scuttle for the Polo Blue, a steel mug for the Katmando and my Classic Shave mug for my Col. Conk bay rum.
Ernest

OldSaw

The wife's investment
When I have a good soap going I usually use it on most days until it is used up and then switch. However, I also have some of that Wilkinson Sword blue container soap and highly recommend switching at your earliest convenience. I will probably have to toss the Wilkinson soap since I can't see any reason to ever return to it.

When I have a good soap going I usually use it on most days until it is used up and then switch. However, I also have some of that Wilkinson Sword blue container soap and highly recommend switching at your earliest convenience. I will probably have to toss the Wilkinson soap since I can't see any reason to ever return to it.

Don't throw the Wilkinson away. I'm using mine as hand soap and in the shower, it's great stuff.

Good man, waste not want not. The empty container is worth keeping too for when you just buy a soap and have nothing to put it in. I grated some Roger & Gallet into mine, worked really well and it saves on space, as opposed to using cups or shave mugs, which can soon over run a small bathroom.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Good man, waste not want not. The empty container is worth keeping too for when you just buy a soap and have nothing to put it in. I grated some Roger & Gallet into mine, worked really well and it saves on space, as opposed to using cups or shave mugs, which can soon over run a small bathroom.

You know, I was thinking that very thing as soon as I posted my last reply. Thanks for the tip. Now I will be able to take two different soaps in my travel kit. My other one is a Colonel Conk Almond in the Conk travel container that I got back around 1990, (the container, not the soap).

I haven't got round to trying Colonel Conk as yet, so what's it like? All the reviews are mostly good but people seem to prefer the triple milled to glycerin based soaps.
With a couple of straights in the post, I'm having to curb myself from buying more soap which is really hard as I definitely want to add Provance Sante, Tabac and Kent, to my rotation.

J

Jarmo P

I have Tabac soap ordered. I only have one hard no name soap so far, but it is so nice to use it compared to having to open proraso tube and build lather in the bowl.

And in the long run it is cheaper too I guess to do with shaving soaps?
With soap I just build lather straight to face. Feels more traditional too :p

EDIT:
I think many people will find this Mark's video helpfull about how to hold the brush as well as how to build the lather straight to face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I haven't got round to trying Colonel Conk as yet, so what's it like? All the reviews are mostly good but people seem to prefer the triple milled to glycerin based soaps.
With a couple of straights in the post, I'm having to curb myself from buying more soap which is really hard as I definitely want to add Provance Sante, Tabac and Kent, to my rotation.

I've been using Conk almond for many years. The almond is the only one I really like. Over the past couple of years I have been in search of great shave soap and have found the triple milled soaps to have an edge on the others. However, for a mere $3.50 I think Colonel Conk is a great value. It is easy to lather, shaves well and I like the scent.

Top Bottom