What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Shave Soap

I came across Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad soap yesterday being sold in puck form, so I bought it and a little plastic container for it in the shop next door.

I've been shaving with my Merkur Slant for the last week and a half using a variety of soaps and creams, and have been quite happy with it - no nicks, though quite a few alum stings.

Today I tried the Merkur Slant with the Nomad soap, and was very pleasantly surprised - none of the alum stings I'd expected were there.

I was impressed.

I also have the Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad shaving cream which I had found to be very good and nearly as slippery as my Trumper's shaving cream. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the very good performance of the soap version of Nomad.

Regards,
Renato

I have the Sienna and I am very happy with it. No problems or complaints about the lather from me.

I have the Sienna and I am very happy with it. No problems or complaints about the lather from me.

Yes, my Nomad lathered very easily with a badger brush - more easily than with say Tabac, and definitely more easily than Cade and Durance where I have to use a boar brush to get anywhere.
Cheers,
Renato

Was reading this thread earlier and what did I spy on another shave site BST? Yep, a brand new puck of Nomad. Not being one to deny destiny I had to buy it. :blink:

Legion

Staff member
I've never gotten along with C&E hard soaps. Won't lather well for me.

I like their creams, though.

Got a bowl of Sienna but I have not tried it yet. The scent of Sienna is interesting and reminds me a bit of GFT Eucris soap. I have a tube of Nomad cream and used it once. Very nice lather. Smells fresh and green.... like sugar snap peas or something fresh from the garden.

Ben

I have a puck of Crabtree and Evelyn sandalwood I've been dieing to try. I'm just using up my open puck of Rays of Colorado Bay Rum, so it won't go bad, or to waste. (it too is an excellent shaving soap).

Was reading this thread earlier and what did I spy on another shave site BST? Yep, a brand new puck of Nomad. Not being one to deny destiny I had to buy it. :blink:

Destiny waits for no man. I hope you're impressed too.
Cheers,
Renato

I've never gotten along with C&E hard soaps. Won't lather well for me.

I like their creams, though.

That's very curious. I used my cheap $10 badger brush from Hong Kong to lather with it - and I can't see any difference between that brush and my Edwin Jagger $50 badger brush.
Harder water where you live perhaps?
Cheers,
Renato

Got a bowl of Sienna but I have not tried it yet. The scent of Sienna is interesting and reminds me a bit of GFT Eucris soap. I have a tube of Nomad cream and used it once. Very nice lather. Smells fresh and green.... like sugar snap peas or something fresh from the garden.

Ben
I must say I am not a fan of the scent in the Nomad cream, but the scent in the Nomad soap wasn't as harsh to my nose.
Cheers,
Renato

I have a puck of Crabtree and Evelyn sandalwood I've been dieing to try. I'm just using up my open puck of Rays of Colorado Bay Rum, so it won't go bad, or to waste. (it too is an excellent shaving soap).
There is no reason to delay.

I buy little plastic clear bowls with a screw top, which are meant for salads or something - cost $1.25, and the puck is almost an exact fit for it.
Then for $2 I buy a packet of three of those round metal things with lots of little holes that you put on top of your kitchen sink drain to stop particles going down the drain. I put one of them in the plastic bowl, and the puck on top of it so that it drains and doesn't go mushy. I leave the bowl open after use to let the puck dry.

I've had no problem with any of the 10 or so pucks I have stored in this fashion. I do have two wooden bowls with soap pucks in them (Truefitt & Hill and Kent), but I figure the money is better spent on the pucks rather than the bowls.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
I just rediscovered this soap. After the countless soaps I've used, experimented with, etc, this ended up under a jar of CF Lime and next to a tub of Cella and Valobra. It wasn't that I was ever really unhappy with it, I just kinda lost it in the mix. I gave it a try the other day, and I've since rotated it with Mike's, for some variety. Needless to say, the second time around was even better than the first. A word of advice with C and E would be to soak it for a few minutes to give it a jump start. This helps you avoid bubbles, and gives a creamier lather. Great stuff!

For those having problems lathering C&E, I soak the puck while in the shower and use a wet brush lathering method. I load my brush until I don't see bubbles anymore and the lather looks rich and creamy. After that, I face lather with it.

I just rediscovered this soap. After the countless soaps I've used, experimented with, etc, this ended up under a jar of CF Lime and next to a tub of Cella and Valobra. It wasn't that I was ever really unhappy with it, I just kinda lost it in the mix. I gave it a try the other day, and I've since rotated it with Mike's, for some variety. Needless to say, the second time around was even better than the first. A word of advice with C and E would be to soak it for a few minutes to give it a jump start. This helps you avoid bubbles, and gives a creamier lather. Great stuff!

For those having problems lathering C&E, I soak the puck while in the shower and use a wet brush lathering method. I load my brush until I don't see bubbles anymore and the lather looks rich and creamy. After that, I face lather with it.

This is curious - have they changed the recipe for the soap recently I wonder?
I have a couple of dozen soaps (pucks and sticks) and rate my Crabtree & Evelyn as amongst the easiest to lather - I just wet the brush and after half a minute had more lather than I needed.
Cheers,
Renato

I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I'm just particular with my lather. I have said no to many favourites around here, just because they weren't creamy enough. Often, English triple-milled stuff gives off a "fake out" lather until you find what makes it tick. This was the same idea for me. I give it a big thumbs up!

I haven't tried the Nomad soap yet. I have tried the Sandalwood and it is truly a top performing soap. Their creams are outstanding as well.

Top Bottom