What's new

Great-grandpa left me quite a bit to start! Help identifying! (PICTURE HEAVY)

Well I got back to my parent's house this weekend to check out what I thought was one blade my great-grandpa had left us (I had never met him). He was at one time a barber, but for some reason I had thought we only had one straight and probably no accessories to go with it. I need help identifying some of these blades and their worth, if you guys don't mind me helping (I am NOT selling these ever, they are sentimental to me) I just would like to know how expensive an item I'm slinging around is. Also, I'm debating on shaving with the Bohler because they all are still feel very sharp, so please comment on their conditions and whether you think they need a resto or not. I will be sending them out somewhere for honing. So, without further ado:

The lot:

$IMAG0239.jpg

The brush doesn't feel like anything all that nice, I'm guessing some synthetic and will be replacing that with a badger brush.

Razor 1: Bohler Extra, Solingen. Blade says "Blue Steel" on one side, the otehr side is "Broch and Sohne Solingen Germany"
$IMAG0240.jpg$IMAG0246.jpg$IMAG0247.jpg

Razor 2: Anton Wingen Jun. Solingen Othello. Blade says "M. Jung New York made in Germany" and other side Jung's Junior.

$IMAG0241.jpg

More pictures in reply I think I am going over the limit here

Last edited:
More on Othello:

$IMAG0248.jpg$IMAG0249.jpg

Third razor: Worst condition of the three. Nothing written on its case. Blade says "Krusius Brothers Germany" and other side is empty.

$IMAG0242.jpg$IMAG0250.jpg$IMAG0254.jpg

Third reply needed for last pictures

On to the honing stones. There is a little one and I don't know what it is? The bigger one says "Carborunduim"? MFD. By the Carborunduim co. Niagara Falls, NY.

$IMAG0245.jpg$IMAG0243.jpg

Then the strop. It appears nylong, and since it was folded for years and years (This stuff hasn't been used at least 20 if not more) it has those creases in it. Some wear in the middle of it as well (just darker looking). Is it any good?

$IMAG0244.jpg

EDITED: Please help here, do I need to buy a new leather strop? Or is this fine?

That's all folks!

Last edited:
Kailand,
One of the most enjoyable things I've been doing lately is taking old razors, most in worst condition that the third one you show here, and restore the metal to something attractive. Just did one yesterday. You can do this strictly with sandpaper and restore that good looking Krusius blade to something that looks like now. (Honing is a different story. Much harder.)

Take a look at some of the threads in the restoration sub-forum.

Finally, congrats on having such a great remembrance of your great grandfather. There is no money that could be spent to ever equal owning a treasure like what you have. I would trade any razor in my collection for one from an ancestor and any two for one from one of my granddads.

oake

I have no expertise in your items, but just wanted to say how fortunate you are to have them. I wish I could have been given my grandfather's old straights. Hopefully, one of my cousins was given them.

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely am superbly greatful for having these.

I will never trade these off (same reasons as you said - they hold so much personal value. They've shaved SO many faces so LONG ago!). While I am quite the handy person compared to many friends and have done lots of woodworking etc, I am not all that handy with metal work just yet. Since these hold such value to me, I don't want to touch them with sandpaper as I'd be too worried to ruin them since I've literally only sharpened knives before and that's the extent of my blade work. I plan to buy a $10 decent blade off of ebay for the purposes of learning to restore, hone, etc.

Are you saying the Krusius is a high end nice razor then? I've read threads elsewhere now that it is a great shaver. I haven't seen much on the other 2.

@Graybeard57 - You are so right. The moment I kept digging out razors (after the first) from his old barber's case I was ecstatic! Fortunate is an understatement, not only have I acquired all this gear, but it is in the family!

I like the handle on that brush, if you could drill it out and but a badger knot in there it would be very cool looking. might hafta collar it down first with some kind of insert though.

Wow, that is great, what a great way to remember your great grandfather. Sorry, but I cannot help with the worth of anything, but t can tell they are high in sentimental value! Enjoy your shave.

Yes, that is one thing I do like about it. I would have to hollow out where the bristles come out though, as there are about 50 small holes holding the 50 small knots. This I can restore easily though, as I am more familiar with woodworking than metal! I could carefully route out the top and put in badger.

Thanks for the idea! I was disappointed in the brush, but now it could turn into something much better!

I've also tried testing the blades on my arm hair - no go! haha

Very nice!! I know that Wingen's are fine shavers, so I say get em honed up & enjoy!!

EDIT: It looks like there may be a mismatch with the WIngen box and the Jung...anyone know if this is correct?

strop

Now half as wise
The brush is for brushing off the neck after a haircut. I suspect there is some old talc lingering if you look closely. I have a modern version that I use regularly. I'd keep it for use or display, and get a regular shaving brush rather than try to convert that brush.

Those items are awesome. I know nothing about them, but I would consider them priceless for the sentimental value.
My wife displays her late father's Burma Shave mug, Ever-Ready brush, and Durham Duplex straight, on a shelf in our spare bathroom. Actually, they are what prompted me to start straight razor shaving.
Enjoy,
Bil

@Strop - This makes so much more sense! I won't go ruining it then, and may use it for that purpose instead! Thanks for pointing that out.

I wish I could find out more about these razors, anyone know someone I can't point to to get more information on them?

ALSO, I would really like to know if the "Silk-FInish Emil J. Paidar Co." nylon strop is any good, or if I should just go get a leather one. Any insight?

The carborundum 118s is a pretty highly sought after hone and, along with the 102, specifically made for Razors. Lap it and use it for touch ups.

Awesome oakeshott! Thanks for the information. I mispelled it, as the label is a little distorted right at the "u" and looks like a "i u" instead. Thanks for that correction!

Kailand...no one can tell the sharpness of an edge by a photo,but if these have been sitting unused you can be sure they need a good maintenance by a guy who knows what he is doing.You have a fantastic collection,and every shave will make your grandpa give a huge smile.Spend a little dough,clean them up,and put them to use,these are a great treasure !

strop

Now half as wise
Not sure if the creases will hang out of the fabric, but I wouldn't use it the way it is. Regardless, you'll need a leather strop. There are a number of vendors that sell "beginner" versions so you don't wory as much when you put the first cut in it.

Anything out of Solingen is going to be a great shaver, whether one recognizes the name or not. I've got two Krusius Brothers' razors and they shave as well as the best... A KB 67 Extra and an Eaton 86. Those blades are capable of providing as good a shave as you'll get anywhere...

Enjoy your journey!

Top Bottom