What's new

kinda ashamed to put this up on here.

So how's it shave? Are you getting better?

Hi Krodor,

Yes i am getting better, but i still havent dared to try the ATG or the XTG pass using the Shavette. I just do 2 WTG passes and my shave is done. I guess i need some more confidence before i attempt the more complicated passes.
I tried a XTG last night and i nicked myself pretty badly on my throat :( :cursing:

Any tips on this ??

I've had five shaves with my half-DE shavette, so I'm pretty close to where you are in the process. I started out going only WTG, and added XTG as I improved my technique. On my neck and throat my hair grows from chin towards neck, and I just can't find a grip on the razor for going XTG there. So I have just gone WTG then ATG on that area the last two shaves, and had great results with it.

I am way behind even you two, I have four shaves with a Weck style str8 and none with the shavette, that sucker scares the living crap out of me still. I am glad you two have had good shaves though, that makes me want to give it a try but for now I will be sticking to my hair shaper.

Good luck and keep on keeping on!

Don't rush the XTG or ATG. No need to add those passes until you are very comfortable handling the blade. I've been using them for months and still don't do ATG.

Haven't tried this with my Parker shavette since I have half-blades for them, but if you palm-strop both edges of the DE blade before breaking it in half and loading it in your razor, it might calm the blade's bite a little bit for you. Check in the general shaving/DE section; there are tons of threads/videos on how to palm strop a DE blade.

Hi Krodor,

Yes i am getting better, but i still havent dared to try the ATG or the XTG pass using the Shavette. I just do 2 WTG passes and my shave is done. I guess i need some more confidence before i attempt the more complicated passes.
I tried a XTG last night and i nicked myself pretty badly on my throat :( :cursing:

Any tips on this ??

you have to change the grip for XTG and ATG,
0 pressure. this is what i do.

hold it out so the blade is facing straight up. grip it from the top with thumb on one side and index and middle finger on the other side.slightest let and it should fall out of your hand.
now go atg, almost impossible to put pressure with this.

you have to change the grip for XTG and ATG,
0 pressure. this is what i do.

hold it out so the blade is facing straight up. grip it from the top with thumb on one side and index and middle finger on the other side.slightest let and it should fall out of your hand.
now go atg, almost impossible to put pressure with this.

Can you please put up a pic of this grip ?? Its difficult to understand really !

I am ready to start with a straight. There are a handful at the local antique store. Some $20, some $40. There's a place downtown LA that will sharpen. However I feel inclined to let them sell me a razor (which they quote around $100). It could cost me $150 just to get started. And then there is that banged up looking strop and dirty old razors in that Antique Store. I just don't know which way to turn. What say you?

Contrary to what you seem to think, one day when you have a Dovo or a TI, a silvertip badger and some super expensive soap or cream you might actually be disappointed. One of my favourite shavers is a no name german razor that I bought in a DIY across from where I work. I prefer that razor to both of my TIs. The only Dovo I have is a shavette which takes half DE blades just like yours, sometimes I think it gives me a better shave than many of its more expensive siblings. The brush I used most often is a budget boar brush similar to what you use and it makes mounds of slick lather. Finally, if I use creams, I use Nivea which IMO outperforms any of the 3Ts.

To sum up, let me just say from my three years experience in traditional wet shaving, I have found that there is no correlation between price and performance in the wet shaving world. On one occasion, I bought a soap in a nice bowl for 40 € that was so crappy that it ended up doing shower duty, on the other hand you can get cheap soaps such as Palmolive and treat yourself to fantastic no fuss lather every time.

That guy is a pro !!!!! How the hell does he move it so quickly on the ATG pass, i guess he was born with a straight razor in his hand :p

its not that hard,
shallow angle , that blade is flat on his face and light grip..very hard to put pressure with that grip.

keep it as flat as you can its k if you go too flat and it just skims, adjust slightly and you are there.

A man with modest tools and good technique beats a guy with state of the art gear and a dearth of knowledge every time.

+1 to that Sir.

I'm from India too and on the hunt for various products which have been highly rated on the forum. I haven't had any success with B&M stores but on advice and help from B&B members, have started searching online. Did you know that many of our shaving creams and the workhorse Godrej soap have pretty good reviews from members all over the world?:thumbup1: Since many of the products online were way outside my budget, what I did for the last 7 months was try out all available Indian creams and soap and at the same time put aside a little cash every week for a good starter level badger brush( I settled on a Tweezerman). Next up is some good Tallow soaps! I don't know about you but part of the fun for me is in sourcing these products and getting them one at a time.:001_smile
If I do find any good stuff in India at reasonable prices, I'll be sure to post it. I'm new here as well, welcome!:001_smile

+1 to that Sir.

I'm from India too and on the hunt for various products which have been highly rated on the forum. I haven't had any success with B&M stores but on advice and help from B&B members, have started searching online. Did you know that many of our shaving creams and the workhorse Godrej soap have pretty good reviews from members all over the world?:thumbup1: Since many of the products online were way outside my budget, what I did for the last 7 months was try out all available Indian creams and soap and at the same time put aside a little cash every week for a good starter level badger brush( I settled on a Tweezerman). Next up is some good Tallow soaps! I don't know about you but part of the fun for me is in sourcing these products and getting them one at a time.:001_smile
If I do find any good stuff in India at reasonable prices, I'll be sure to post it. I'm new here as well, welcome!:001_smile

Hello, I am also from India, Mumbai to be precise. I dont know about razors and brushes but there are a few people dealing in high end shaving creams in india. T&H is available and so is Trumpers but its ridiculously priced.
Did you purchase the badger brush in india ? I looked for one but couldnt find any. Its kinda

Welcome to this place, i am new here too. :)

Nope. Couldn't find a badger brush here. Ordered it online for Rs.1972 from

http://www.bodypixels.com/

I ordered it on 1st of Feb and haven't received it yet. Will tell you when I do. Check out the link that I've sent, are these prices similar to what you found? Everything here is North of Rs2000!:glare:

I'm from Tamil Nadu, and I was asking my local barber about brushes and creams. He told me that most cities Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai etc have a Sunday market where one can find these at throwaway prices if lucky. Another place to check are the 'Burma bazaar's' where a lot of imported(smuggled) goods are available!:wink2: I will keep looking and post if I find anything worthwhile.

You paid RS. 1972 for a Tweezerman? Wow... shipping really got you there.
Might I recommend something like... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silvertip-B...-Black-Plactic-Handle-21MM-Knot-/280941592289 which would be about Rs. 1445 shipped. I certainly enjoy my FS brushes. :) I am not exactly good with estimating sizes on screen in relation to real life, but this should be a decent sized little brush, but you have to be -really- patient with the shipping.
Now, on inspection.. I notice an odd trend. The places that have world wide shipping exclude India a lot, and those that don't either add $2 for shipping, or $30. So.. weird. I honestly figured it might be easier to send something to India than to Japan/Australia.

As for the cost factor of what you are using, please keep in mind that on this forum there have been several postings with many pages, on the amazing artwork that people turn $3 razors, Gold Dollars, into. Also, enjoy the shaves and never be embarrassed about what you have. We don't even ostracize people who use cartridges, so long as it works and they are friendly enough to keep coming back and chatting. Badger and Blade is certainly not like many other places on the web. Shaving vintage style doesn't make someone a gentleman, and as long as they are gentlemen I can't imagine this place ever rolling up the red carpet and giving them the boot. Heck, even disagreements are fine as long as all parties are still cordially telling each other that their mother wore combat boots and that their dogs smell like gym socks.

That is a good looking brush, thanks for the link! I got a couple of other useful ones from another member too. Don't worry, I'm not embarrassed with what I have right now. Am actually very proud of my little collection. :001_smile Like you've mentioned, many of the sites either don't ship to India or add extra charges. So what I'm trying to do is find any shops here in India with a decent collection of foreign goods, at reasonable rates. Here in India a decent wet shave at a barber's shop with the warm towels, nice lather and SE razor costs anywhere between Rs.25-Rs.75 or $0.50-$1.50! So you can imagine the shelling I get from the wife when I tell her I'm saving up to buy Rs.10,000 worth of supplies! And all I'd actually get would be one good soap, one good razor and if I'm lucky a mid level badger brush!:lol:

That is a good looking brush, thanks for the link! I got a couple of other useful ones from another member too. Don't worry, I'm not embarrassed with what I have right now. Am actually very proud of my little collection. :001_smile Like you've mentioned, many of the sites either don't ship to India or add extra charges. So what I'm trying to do is find any shops here in India with a decent collection of foreign goods, at reasonable rates. Here in India a decent wet shave at a barber's shop with the warm towels, nice lather and SE razor costs anywhere between Rs.25-Rs.75 or $0.50-$1.50! So you can imagine the shelling I get from the wife when I tell her I'm saving up to buy Rs.10,000 worth of supplies! And all I'd actually get would be one good soap, one good razor and if I'm lucky a mid level badger brush!:lol:

WOAH !!!! Rs 1972 for a shaving brush !!!! Thats kinda steep, did you try at Flipkart ? They have some good brushes for sale. If you are looking at some good creams or soaps, theres bodyshop and also T&H was being sold in India by a stockist in Mumbai. They have the enitre collection. I bought a bowl of cream for Rs 1490/-, and its a dream !!!
Unbelievable lather i tell you !!!!!!

Where do you purchase blades from ? Are feather and Personna blades available down south ?? In Mumbai, all i can find is the usual gillette and some other local indian brands like Supermax, Zorrick, Rise, Laser etc

Do let me know if you can find any good places for blades in India.

I know I know. I had already ordered for the brush before asking you guys and now the money has been spent! I wont make that mistake again.:blush: Apart from what you've mentioned we also get Wilkinson sword blades here. I'll tell you if I find any feathers or personna. Does the shop in Mumbai have a website?

Top Bottom