What's new

More on My New Weck Sextoblade.

$2711409746784040_1.jpg Yesterday, I started a thread on how scared I should be to try my new Weck Sextoblade. I got much good advice and show no dueling scar after my first use. However, the shave was not terrific. I think it may be because I used the guard on the wrong size. I need more advice! In the attached picture, the razor is laid out so that the side of the guard on which Weck's name is inscribed, which has the comb covering the blade and tines at the bottom of the guard which curve upward. I used it this way today, but I think I actually need to use it on the opposite side in which, looking down at the razor, the comb, with its tines down and curved away from the blade is on the bottom, the blade above it, and side of the guard on the short side (the side opposite the Weck logo). This latter configuration looks more like a safety razor with a plate (open or closed comb), the blade above and then an end cap at the top. Thoughts, please.

I know I'm going to get thunked for saying so but I think you should ditch the guard and shave with it open like a standard SR. It works well for me, go slow, start the razor just before touching the skin and keep your ears pinned back. :a38:

Sorry, I can't follow your description, and the picture is too small to see the detail. However, I believe you used it correctly. There is only one way to use it. The guard needs to be in between the blade and your face. If the guard is on the other side of the blade, it will do nothing for you. That is why you need to flip the guard when you switch to use the other hand. They redesigned the guard a few times. There are variants in both open comb and closed bar.

$IMG_0055.jpg$IMG_0056.jpg Let me see if I can better explain with two new images and more explanation. For purposes of our discussion, the configuration in each image represents the side of the razor that would be applied to my adorable face.

The first image is the configuration I used today. The ends of the times of the comb point up from the table in the background. Thus, the blade is below the comb as applied to my face. This gave a pretty lousy shave. I suspect that this was the wrong way to use it.

The second image represents the way that I think that I should have done it. It would have the blade above the comb and the ends of the tines of the comb pointing down toward the table, as with a DE.

I hope that the further images and description help in my efforts to use this thing correctly.

There is only one way to use it. The guard needs to be in between the blade and your face.

Really? I thought it was just the opposite, I figured the guard the other way would prevent too steep an angle by lifting the blade off your face. Having said that, I have never used a guard on mine...
Bil

View attachment 305194View attachment 305195 Let me see if I can better explain with two new images and more explanation. For purposes of our discussion, the configuration in each image represents the side of the razor that would be applied to my adorable face.

The first image is the configuration I used today. The ends of the times of the comb point up from the table in the background. Thus, the blade is below the comb as applied to my face. This gave a pretty lousy shave. I suspect that this was the wrong way to use it.

The second image represents the way that I think that I should have done it. It would have the blade above the comb and the ends of the tines of the comb pointing down toward the table, as with a DE.

I hope that the further images and description help in my efforts to use this thing correctly.
Yes, the second pic is correct. Lousy shave is probably an understatement for the first pic. There is no way for the blade to make contact.

Really? I thought it was just the opposite, I figured the guard the other way would prevent too steep an angle by lifting the blade off your face. Having said that, I have never used a guard on mine...
Bil
Yes, you are correct. I got confused and was trying to think through the configuration in my head without looking at one. It's been so long since I've used a guard, I forgot the guard went past the end of the blade.

I know I'm going to get thunked for saying so but I think you should ditch the guard and shave with it open like a standard SR. It works well for me, go slow, start the razor just before touching the skin and keep your ears pinned back. :a38:

Not by me. I never even tried to use the guard after I once saw it. There is no issue with shaving with the open blade for me. Maybe a brand new person would try it but it just adds complexity to the shave for me.

Sorry but I had to laugh when I saw the combo of the ops name and the razors name.... A sexe in French is another word for a Johnson so johnson-to-blade by dickt. My apologies

Top Bottom