What's new

Welcome, New Guys Come Say hello

Hi all

I made the plunge into fountain pens about a month ago with fine and medium Pilot Metropolitans along with two inks: Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Liberty's Elysium.

I have been enjoying getting used to both and look forward to my second goulet pens order arriving tomorrow (samples of two brown inks and a TWSBI ECO)!

Hi all

I made the plunge into fountain pens about a month ago with fine and medium Pilot Metropolitans along with two inks: Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Liberty's Elysium.

I have been enjoying getting used to both and look forward to my second goulet pens order arriving tomorrow (samples of two brown inks and a TWSBI ECO)!

Now it's only a matter of time until you have a 22 gallon Rubbermaid filled with nib items...not that I'm speaking from experience or anything :blushing:

Make sure to flush the Metros fairly frequently, I slightly stained my Custom 74 with Liberty's Elysium.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Hi all

Welcome to the club! I love the color selection that Noodler's inks provide. Take domzals1's advice, though. Some of Noodler's inks can stain if they sit too long in a pen, especially, Liberty's Elysium.

Might be time to introduce myself to the Nib, as I purchased my first fountain pen, a Pilot Metropolitan - M last night and a few Rhodia pads today. My Father bought me a fountain pen when I was 10 or 12 years old but I ceased using it after it's ink ran out and I didn't understand it was refillable. That and it was difficult for me to write well with! I'm hoping to get into regular cursive practice and transition to fountain pen use as a primary means of writing day-to-day. So hello!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Might be time to introduce myself to the Nib, as I purchased my first fountain pen, a Pilot Metropolitan - M last night and a few Rhodia pads today. My Father bought me a fountain pen when I was 10 or 12 years old but I ceased using it after it's ink ran out and I didn't understand it was refillable. That and it was difficult for me to write well with! I'm hoping to get into regular cursive practice and transition to fountain pen use as a primary means of writing day-to-day. So hello!

Welcome to The Nib, Nick! Congrats, on your new purchases! The Metropolitan is great first choice. Are you just going to use the cartridge to start with, or do you plan on getting some ink as well?

A word to the wise, give the nib and feed a good rinse and let it dry a bit before first use.

Welcome to The Nib, Nick! Congrats, on your new purchases! The Metropolitan is great first choice. Are you just going to use the cartridge to start with, or do you plan on getting some ink as well?

A word to the wise, give the nib and feed a good rinse and let it dry a bit before first use.

Thanks for the welcome and tip Erik, do I need any equipment for that or can you get by simply rinsing in a bowl of water/under a tap? I've seen a few videos of people syringing water through the feed and nib.

I really like the idea of using bottled ink, and will most likely be using the converter the Metropolitan comes with. There is something fascinating and almost romantic about inking a pen. I did buy a few cartridges of Pilot's Blue-Black though.

Spent a few hours this past week on sbrebrown's YouTube channel, which I've enjoyed also. :w00t:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome and tip Erik, do I need any equipment for that or can you get by simply rinsing in a bowl of water/under a tap? I've seen a few videos of people syringing water through the feed and nib.

I really like the idea of using bottled ink, and will most likely be using the converter the Metropolitan comes with. There is something fascinating and almost romantic about inking a pen. I did buy a few cartridges of Pilot's Blue-Black though.

Spent a few hours this past week on sbrebrown's YouTube channel, which I've enjoyed also. :w00t:

My pleasure. :001_smile You could probably just get away with just rinsing it under the tap, but I like to use a blub syringe and distilled water.

There are so many wonderful inks out there. So many amazing colors to choose from and so many ink qualities and properties to consider. The folks on The Nib are more than happy to recommend any type of gear if you just ask (and some of us recommend even when you don't ask! :001_smile). I can definitely understand the romanticism of inking and using a fountain pen.

Stephen Brown can be very entertaining, as well as, informative. His video's have helped me out a lot when I was starting out. We are currently trying to build the B&B Video Library, so please, let me know if there's a Nib topic that you would mind seeing a B&B video on, and we'll try our best to accommodate.

My pleasure. :001_smile You could probably just get away with just rinsing it under the tap, but I like to use a blub syringe and distilled water.

There are so many wonderful inks out there. So many amazing colors to choose from and so many ink qualities and properties to consider. The folks on The Nib are more than happy to recommend any type of gear if you just ask (and some of us recommend even when you don't ask! :001_smile). I can definitely understand the romanticism of inking and using a fountain pen.

Stephen Brown can be very entertaining, as well as, informative. His video's have helped me out a lot when I was starting out. We are currently trying to build the B&B Video Library, so please, let me know if there's a Nib topic that you would mind seeing a B&B video on, and we'll try our best to accommodate.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to it arriving and getting to know those in the Nib a little more. I'll try a syringe and distilled water to rinse it.

Been posting on the forum (mostly The Nib) since second quarter 2014 if I recall correctly. Started DE shaving in March of that year after a 35+ year hiatus. Fountain pens.... First was a Lamy Al Star in about 1998. Then a Waterman Phileas followed. Fast forward to fall of 2012, I started looking for a replacement bottle of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black found FPN where I discovered it was no longer being imported into the US. I found someone who would sell me a bottle. Then another Phileas. And it kind of snowballed from there....

Pens:
Pelikan 4
Parker 8 counting a desk pen/set
Lamy 1
Waterman 1
Esterbrook 5
Cross 1
Jinhao 1
TWSBI 2
Noodler's 1
True Writer 1
Pilot 1

Currently have 14 inked - 3 Parkers, 4 Pelikan, 2 TWSBI, 3 Esterbrook, Lamy, Jinhao

Inks from Diamine, Noodler's Waterman, Pelikan, Levenger, Blackstone, Akkerman, KWZI and a bunch of samples. I was fortunate enough to be a pre-production tester for the Blackstone Colours of Australia series (Sidney Harbour Blue, Barrier Reef Blue, Daintree Green were the three I tested. I also have Uluru Red. Didn't pick up the Stump Black as I don't use black much.(and I have two)

There was a line of inks Blackstone was trying out - before they came up with the Colours of Australia line. These would have been powdered and mixed with distilled water. A nice dark red with sheen, a mossy green, a blue with a purple hint and a black.

Papers from Rhodia, Basildon Bond, Clairefontaine, Leuchtturm notebook and a Japanese pad I just was sent - don't know the manufacturer.

I have always been fascinated with pens but never really did anything with that interest since I didn't realize there was that much out there to play with. So sadly I would just use any ballpoint that I could find or that was given away from banks, radio stations, etc. Once I got into straight razor and DE shaving I found this group and was amazed.

I didn't waste anytime and ordered a Jinhao 8812 and some Parker Quink blue ink and then got my wife one also. I was so excited to get it but life as been crazy lately I haven't had time to use it but I still carry it to work everyday. I don't have the confidence in my ability to use the pen yet so I don't use it at work at all yet.

I am not sure where this newfound hobby will lead me or even where I should go next or try next but I am very excited to find out. My life is crazily busy now. My wife and I have started the process to start a bird sanctuary so between work and caring for our flock I have little time for anything else but I am hoping that this could be a calming or stress reducing thing for me. I read earlier someone mentioned calligraphy and that may be a direction I take. Who knows.

Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning more here and thanks to everyone that posted here in the past that I may learn things from and to those that help in the future. Have a spectacular day.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have always been fascinated with pens but never really did anything with that interest since I didn't realize there was that much out there to play with. So sadly I would just use any ballpoint that I could find or that was given away from banks, radio stations, etc. Once I got into straight razor and DE shaving I found this group and was amazed.

I didn't waste anytime and ordered a Jinhao 8812 and some Parker Quink blue ink and then got my wife one also. I was so excited to get it but life as been crazy lately I haven't had time to use it but I still carry it to work everyday. I don't have the confidence in my ability to use the pen yet so I don't use it at work at all yet.

I am not sure where this newfound hobby will lead me or even where I should go next or try next but I am very excited to find out. My life is crazily busy now. My wife and I have started the process to start a bird sanctuary so between work and caring for our flock I have little time for anything else but I am hoping that this could be a calming or stress reducing thing for me. I read earlier someone mentioned calligraphy and that may be a direction I take. Who knows.

Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning more here and thanks to everyone that posted here in the past that I may learn things from and to those that help in the future. Have a spectacular day.

Welcome to The Nib, Lemic! Try writing with your fountain pen everyday, even if it's just for a few minutes. You'll probably soon find that it doesn't take a whole lot to become comfortable and gain confidence with the pen. Also, keep in mind that it's fine to use it without needing to write with flair and elegance. I often use mine for taking notes and making lists, and I certainly don't concentrate on my penmanship while performing those tasks.

I hope that you enjoy your pen and find a little time to get more comfortable with it in the near future. :thumbup:

Hi All, my name is David and I have a passive interest in all things nib-related. It all started when I commandeered my dad's Cross pen/pencil desk set. I enjoy doing shoddy calligraphy, which was where the fountain pens first came into play. Unfortunately, I never took the time to hone my craft and it's been relegated to cards for friends and family for special occasions, using chisel tip markers. :blushing:

I have a few Cross pieces to my name and a wild Monteverde in orange. My fiancé has a nice Cross pen I bought her for getting into medical school, and my groomsmen will be getting personalized Cross pens at the wedding in 2 weeks. According to SWMBO, I write/sign all my important docs with one of my "special pens" :lol:

Hey, everyone. My name is Alex and I've been using FPs for about half a year now. It started when I was doing some shopping/browsing at Amazon. I saw an ad for the Platinum Preppie and ordered one with a fine nib on a whim. I found myself enjoying using the pen so much that I ordered another Preppie (extra fine nib) as well as a Pilot Metropolitan F and a bottle of Noodler's Blue Eel for the Pilot. I work on a busy hospital floor and I use my FPs a lot. The Preppie died when it fell of my computer and hit the floor nib first. So it was a choice between the Pilot Metro and the EF Preppie. The Preppie was very scratchy then so I took the Pilot to work. After the Preppie, the Pilot at first felt big and unwieldy. I did love the smoothness of the nib. A couple of days ago, my Pilot went missing on me while at work. When I reached for it in its usual place on the leg pocket of my scrubs, nada. So now I'm down to my EF Preppie. Surprisingly, it write smoothly now and its extra fine nibs sure writes a thin line. I kinda miss the fine nibs of my other pens. I think this time I will get me a Lamy Safari and feel for myself what the fuss about Lamy is all about.

Welcome to the Nib Alex. I hope you have better luck with the Lamy than your previous FPs. Sounds like you should stick with the cheapies while at work though.

If you liked the Pilot, I would recommend the Pilot Varsity. It's a disposable fountain pen. I bought my wife a 5 or 7 pack (don't remember which) for Christmas a couple years ago...I think it was around 15 bucks.

Thanks for your reply, Jut. I definitely will stick with the entry level cheapies as I do 12 hours shifts and work a lot of days. I do plan on getting me a really nice one for home use, one that I could perhaps pass on to my kid.

The downside to my getting the varsity will be the ink choices or lack of it. After the Lamy, I'll probably get a couple of Preppies and converters as I would like to maybe get a bottle of Bayside Blue and Habanero and have pens dedicated to these colors.

Top Bottom