What's new

Pen Review Visconti Bronze Age Homo Sapiens

Pen Review: Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age (Oversize)

The Visconti Homo Sapiens is a pen that I was fascinated by from the first time I read about it. A pen made from volcanic rock ash, who wouldn’t think that is cool? When I finally was able to, I did not think twice about purchasing one.

Appearance and Design
It is a big pen! The Volcanic Ash that it is made from gives it an almost stealthy, matte black finish. Add in the solid bronze accents and clip and you have a pretty simple yet very nice looking pen. The pen also incorporates the my pen system where you can get small medallions with initials or gem stones to put in the end of the cap.

Construction and Quality
The quality of the parts used in making this pen are great. The feeling of the Volcanic Rock Ash is smooth and almost feels soft in my hand. I have read that many people say the pen feels warm to the touch, but I really do not get that. Thought was put into construction in that nothing feels sharp, or out of place. The closing system that is used for the cap is a push and quarter turn. The cap has never come off on me by mistake. Also the groove that the cap secures into does not feel sharp or uncomfortable if you generally hold your pen higher on the section. The clip is also well constructed. It has a good amount of spring to it, but will hold the pen securely to your pocket or pen case.

Nib Performance
The nib on this pen is a joy to use! It is 23 kt. Palladium, mine is a medium. The pen glides effortlessly across the page. There is ever so slight feedback, but the nib is extremely smooth. The Palladium gives the nib a huge amount of spring (not flex), you can push some decent line variation out of it. The one downside is that the nib skips every once in a while. When I did the writing sample, the nib skipped 5 times in a short period of time. Now that much skipping is not the norm for the pen. It is also a pretty wet nib!

Weight and Dimensions
As I said before, this pen is big and heavy. When I weighed it, it had ink in it. Could not have had much since by the time I finished the writing sample the pen ran dry.

Total weight: 45 grams (1.58 oz.)
Weight uncapped: 25 grams (.88 oz.)
Length Capped: 145.5mm (5.73 in.)
Length posted: 147.4mm (5.81 in.)
Body including section (not nib): 108mm (4.25 in.)
Diameter: 14.5mm (.57 in.)

Filling System and Maintenance
The filling system on this pen is called the High Vacuum Power Filler. It operates by unscrewing the blind cap and pulling back the vacuum rod. When it is depressed, the pen expels the air and sucks up the ink. It works well, though I never actually measured the amount of ink it holds. You cannot perform any maintenance on this pen on your own. You need a special tool to remove the nib, and there is no evidence of a way to remove the vacuum rod. This limits regular cleaning to basically just sucking up and shooting out water until it is clear. This can be a pain depending on ink selection. I like pens that I can take apart a little to insure good cleaning like being able to use a bulb syringe to flush nibs.

Cost and Value
The MSRP on this pen is $595. That being said, I searched three well known pen sellers and the prices on this pen today were $650, $520 and $445.
Is the pen worth that, that is a question you need to answer for yourself. Between the nib, the filling system and what the pen is constructed of, the quality is evident. Whether or not that justifies spending the money is up to you.

Conclusion
I have thoroughly enjoyed this pen since I bought it. I love the look, the feel and how it writes. The minor skipping issue that I brought up has been known and discussed, but it does not bother me at all. In fact, I like the pen so much that I also bought the Steel Age Homo Sapiens.

Writing sample
​

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of link Dave... wonder if the skip was the ink rather then the pen... or maybe it just needs an initial flush... those are some cool looking lines and contrasts though, its a beautiful pen for sure

I put this up on the big screen (my desktop instead of phone or tablet), and that pen just looks better, Visconti sure pays attention to the details on their pens, great packaging to, certainly not the kind of box you toss in the trash

Great write up Dave, and even better pen

Last edited:
Holy cow, Dave! That is a great looking pen and a wonderful review! No i understand your questions regarding pen reviews you were asking a few days, ago.
Congratulations, my friend.

wonderful review! i think i might put this on my list of must get for myself next special occasion presents lolz. I love the volcanic rock ash, looks so unique and pretty.

What kind of link Dave...

Assuming you mean ink... Visconti Brown. I only wrote it down in the writing sample, should have mentioned it again. I have flushed the pen about 3 times even used JB's pen flush. And used 3 different inks that behave well in my other pens.
Other people have also commented on the willingness to skip, but with this pen it isn't as big a deal as I have heard others talk about.

Congratulations on your new pen--looks great! Nice review too.

As far as the skipping goes, maybe ship it off to Mike Masuyama for some tweaking? The guy is a wizard and he advertises his experience with Visconti. He fixed an old Montblanc for me after two well-respected nibmeisters looked at it and shuddered. I love the stub grind he did on the recent Essential too.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great looking pen and some sharp photos to show it off! Very nice.

Before sending it out, write a few more pages and see if that initial skips go away. It seems like the old baby bottom malady, those can be really annoying.

Very nice review!
This is one pen that I have had in my basket more than once but have yet to pull the trigger on. I have a couple of Viscontis and one on the way and love them. This review might just be enough to push me over the edge (not that it takes much) to pull the trigger.

Very nice review!
This is one pen that I have had in my basket more than once but have yet to pull the trigger on. I have a couple of Viscontis and one on the way and love them. This review might just be enough to push me over the edge (not that it takes much) to pull the trigger.

What other Viscontis do you have? I would love to see them, and hear about your experiences with them. Another amazing one you may want to look at if you haven't already is the Wall Street. I have the Red LE Wall Street and it is a wonderful looking and writing pen!

I remember blew posting one in the acquisition thread one of the ones named after an artist I remember it looking pretty... then getting sticker shock

I remember blew posting one in the acquisition thread one of the ones named after an artist I remember it looking pretty... then getting sticker shock

It was the Van Gogh, that is actually one of the less expensive Visconti pens. Unless you looked at the set of 12 (I think it is 12).

Hmmm... i forget guess ill go remind myself

The purple Rembrandt pens are nice and well priced as well... i think I'm going to stop looking at them now

Last edited:
I owned the non bronze a while back and loved it. It was quite a wet writer.

As for the skipping I would get it checked out. You paid for a quality pen and deserve one that has no issues at all... Mine skipped also and I didn't care until I randomly decided to get it fixed. I liked it even more afterwards.

I have the bronze age, it is a very interesting pen, I quite like it, as it has some heft to it. Unlike my MB 149, I do not write with it posted as it becomes top heavy. Mine has not had any issues with skipping (but don't tell it), and as far as filling it with ink, I find that to get the most ink in, you have to do the plunger action in an ink well about 3 times minimum. Others have also commented that the best way to get the most ink into the pen is using the travelling pot (but for $80, I'll plunge 3 times and refill more often). I bought my wife the Divina Desert, which is a really beautiful celluloid pen, on sale for a good price (check out Stylo.ca). Some of my other pens will react to ink and paper combinations, which is a bit annoying...

cheers

george

I have the bronze age, it is a very interesting pen, I quite like it, as it has some heft to it. Unlike my MB 149, I do not write with it posted as it becomes top heavy. Mine has not had any issues with skipping (but don't tell it), and as far as filling it with ink, I find that to get the most ink in, you have to do the plunger action in an ink well about 3 times minimum. Others have also commented that the best way to get the most ink into the pen is using the travelling pot (but for $80, I'll plunge 3 times and refill more often). I bought my wife the Divina Desert, which is a really beautiful celluloid pen, on sale for a good price (check out Stylo.ca). Some of my other pens will react to ink and paper combinations, which is a bit annoying...

cheers

george

The Divina Desert is a beautiful pen! On the ink pot, that is the best way to fill any vacuum filling system because the air being expelled from the pen gets trapped in the ink pot, and actually pushes the ink into the pen. Even TWSBI designed an ink well to be able to get a full fill on the Vac 700.
The other trick you can do is fill the pen, then turn it around and depress the plunger just enough to expel the remaining air, until you see ink coming out of the nib, then without letting go of the vac rod, put it back in the ink and finish pressing it down. I have never done this with the Visconti, but that is how I always get a complete fill with my Vac 700.

strop

Now half as wise
That is a beautiful pen Dave. I've looked at Visconti's several times but haven't pulled the trigger, although a friend of mine has several.

The skipping would drive me nuts! I would have to have it fixed.

Top Bottom