What's new

Montale Dark Oud- a scent I don't get

I ordered a trial size of Montale Dark Oud from Perfumed Court and I'll tell ya, I don't get it. Aside from a somewhat woody dry-down, it has a strong medicinal, turpentine-like start, and actually reminds me of the Greek wine Retsina. Not my thing at all. Any thoughts on the stuff?

I like it. But this sounds like like it might be your first oud experience. That medicinal type smell (sometimes likened to band aids) is sort of the signature of oud scents, most especially the synthetic ouds as distinct for actual oud oils.

It can be a bit like drinking scotch for the first time I would say. If you don't "get it" that's fine. Im sure it hits a lot of people funny. I like Dark Aoud myself. I will all tell you a fair number of women have commented quite positively on it when I wear it.

Go with your own nose. You were smart enough to by a sample and see for yourself. If you have some sample left, I would encourage you to try it again in a few days. I don't know how much experience you have with frags patten1969. Not sure what inspired you to try Dark Aoud. But if you're new to them, there can be a lot of strange experiences like this to come. Men just starting to sample different stuff can have a lot of "***" moments. Happened to me plenty. Especially first time I tried Kouros.

It's an acquired taste to be sure. I like the scotch parallel as illustrated by Stylin. Who likes scotch the first time they taste it? It's something that grows on your or doesn't and certainly isn't for everyone. Polarizing for sure, but that is what makes scent so interesting.

It's an acquired taste to be sure. I like the scotch parallel as illustrated by Stylin. Who likes scotch the first time they taste it? It's something that grows on your or doesn't and certainly isn't for everyone. Polarizing for sure, but that is what makes scent so interesting.

Me! I loved scotch the first time I tried it. So much I nearly finished a bottle of Glenfiddich by myself. God I love scotch!

Me! I loved scotch the first time I tried it. So much I nearly finished a bottle of Glenfiddich by myself. God I love scotch!

Me too - and other whiskeys too. As a southern boy I started with bourbon way younger than i should and liked it neat from the first time I tried it. Single Malt Scotch was a revelation when I first tried it - wow. I have a co-worker who is a Scotch enthusiast and we were having this same discussion about acquired taste. He's a part time minister from the deep south, you need to hear the accent in your head: "Beeee-ullll, (that's Bill but it takes about three syllables) I was raised Southern Baptist and never had a drink. I went off to college and tried beer and wine - they were OK once I got used to them. But oh my when the first drop of Scotch Whisky touched my tongue..."

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
One of my favorite scents! And my scotch preference is also an acquired taste: Talisker, Lagavulin and Laphraoig....

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I really enjoy the band aid smell. Its just takes me back to my childhood when the band aids came in the metal tins. Its is a powerful concoction though. I sprayed 4 sprays, and stepped into a subway once. I had more deathly looks than I care to remember.

I really enjoy the band aid smell. Its just takes me back to my childhood when the band aids came in the metal tins. Its is a powerful concoction though. I sprayed 4 sprays, and stepped into a subway once. I had more deathly looks than I care to remember.

It is quite a bit more potent than one is aware when wearing it. Same holds true for TF Oud Wood which is similar.

I suspect if you either like or dislike the Dark Aoud, you will likely feel the same about the many other Montale Aoud scents. To my nose, they are many variations on the same oud note. Of course, it's ironic that I would say this, as I'm always so aware of how one note in a scent can cause cause you to love it or hate it, and the other notes in the Montale Aoud type scents could be triggers of like or dislike for you. I just think many of the Montales smell similar with their common oud note.

Top Bottom