What's new

mold on my ink

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out a small sample jar of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It had been laying on it side for at least a month. When I looked was three different mold colonies growing on the ink. I assume, at some point, I cross contaminated the ink with something when I transferred from the big bottle, to the smaller sample bottle. I will check my original bottle when I get home, but has this ever happened to anyone else? but,

$003.jpg

Must have had something to do with the static electrical char..... Oh wait... Sorry Mike, yeah I say let it grow!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Perhaps the sample bottle was contaminated before being filled? One can hope that's it, and that it isn't in the larger bottle.
Mold in a bottle may be a sign of mold in a pen, and my understanding of that phenomenon is that it isn't something for the faint of heart to deal with.

Mold is a hardy bugger, and difficult to get rid of in a fashion that doesn't ruin whatever it has taken hold in.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Obviously, do not use the sample ink in a pen. Well, maybe in a Chinese pen, but otherwise ... no way. I'd be very hesitant about the original bottle too, until you can be sure it's okay.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That gives a new meaning of "SITB" if you ask me.

One time I found a pen that had that growth inside. Same brand of ink, too.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I thought it was excess nib licking prior to loading the pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, and i had thought i had seen it all! i guess i am still not old enough to be an old-timer. Hee hee.
i would have to concur with the consensus; let it grow!

Wow, and i had thought i had seen it all! i guess i am still not old enough to be an old-timer. Hee hee.
i would have to concur with the consensus; let it grow!

That's good Celestino, according to Jim, you'll get your pen quicker

And hahahaha someone's well documented nib locking

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out a small sample jar of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It had been laying on it side for at least a month. When I looked was three different mold colonies growing on the ink. I assume, at some point, I cross contaminated the ink with something when I transferred from the big bottle, to the smaller sample bottle. I will check my original bottle when I get home, but has this ever happened to anyone else? but,

View attachment 304619
that might contain the cure to some disease.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The 4.5 oz bottle of HOD looks good, but I will flush all my pens anyway, and set the HOD aside for a bit.
Thanks guys, and I will keep an eye on the sample jar.

Top Bottom