What's new

Thinking of trying a shaving gel

Hey all,

Not sure where to post this as it is not a soap or cream (feel free to move it if necessary). I have decided to try a shaving gel when I dont have time for a full, luxurious warm-lathered shave. I have looked through all the reviews and found a couple shaving gels mentioned, mainly Anthony Logistics and Kid Glove Sharp. Does anyone have any comments on the other various high end gels? I remember seeing a thread on this topic involving mantic and mozart, however, I cannot find it anywhere.

I am thinking of trying the Molton Brown Shavewax this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Sincerely,

Hi, I've tried a shaving gel called Bold for Men. Had the opportunity to try it out some time ago, it is one of the best shaving gels/creams/soaps I've tried. I think by that time, they gave this product in a gift box to Oscar winners :biggrin:

Well the gel is for dry shaving, you don't need water. You just put it in your face, let it work for a minute or so and shave. The hair comes off easily and it has a component that makes you feel fresh. This is also a cream recommended to people who want to shave thier heads - they don't have water running down the face!

The whole idea of wet shaving is the soap/cream experience and the brush. using some garbage out of a can may save you maybe 3 minutes during a shave if that over the traditional method. If you are that rushed just use one of those multiblade systems and the canned garbage. Then you'll really save some time.

Sorry if I sound harsh but what you are doing just cheapens the whole wet shaving idea.

The whole idea of wet shaving is the soap/cream experience and the brush. using some garbage out of a can may save you maybe 3 minutes during a shave if that over the traditional method. If you are that rushed just use one of those multiblade systems and the canned garbage. Then you'll really save some time.

Sorry if I sound harsh but what you are doing just cheapens the whole wet shaving idea.

It's easy to think this since most (all? :wink: ) of us tend to romanticize the crap out of the whole deal. There are at least two categories of wetshavers: those that are getting along just fine with the mainstream mass-marketed stuff, but like the romantic notions of doing it old school (this would be me) and then there are those that are suffering through uncomfortable shaves and really just want a no-nonsense, easy, and comfortable shave regardless of what products are used in doing so. For some, this may include a DE and some type of gel.

Just some food for thought. :smile:

My favorite shave gel is the Neutrogena Razor Defense Gel (the one in the can). I'm sure there are better gels out there, but this hands-down beats any other gel or foam from a can I've ever used.

-Mason

My reaction? BURN THE WITCH! :eek:

But, on a slightly more serious note, have you tried the non-lathering creams such as Nancy Boy and a few others? Same amount of time involved vs. putting canned goo on your face and with much better, skin friendlier results.

Well, either we allow shaving gel discussion or not. This is a shaving site. One can wet shave just fine with gel. Are you for banning all gel discussions? If not, then these kinds of comments don't really serve a purpose other than a thread-crap.

-Mason

If that isn't a classic example of shavegeekery, I don't know what is! :wink2: I'm not sure what it is about shaving "old-school", as it were, prompts otherwise sane guys to prosetylize with the same fervour as that guy ranting about the coming Armageddeon on the corner of Market & Powell, but there you go.

In any case, if you can use a brushless cream/gel and live with yourself, there are lots of good ones out there. I personally like Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave (seems to only be available at Nordstrom) when I'm in a big hurry or on the road - a quick smear over my face, one quick pass with a Superspeed or cartridge, and I'm ready to go. If you like gels, the ZIRH gel works great (though it feels a little weird covering your face with something that looks and feels like the ectoplasm from "Ghostbusters"). I have not used Cremo Cream, but many others have reported excellent results with it.

I find when I am pressed for time, brushless really gets you in and out of the bathroom quick. Sure it's not as luxurious or "traditional" (when was Burma-Shave brushless cream introduced, 1940 or so?) as a good brush and a nice soap, but sometimes it's just about getting the hair off your face! :001_smile

Thank you all for the advice. Again, I am looking for that, "Oh no, I slept in and need
a quick, two pass, before work shave", not the normal, "lather up and relax shave". Clearly
the latter is preferred, but life does not always allow for that.

I will try the Molton Brown brushless wax and write up a review next week. There is
a big difference between this type of gel than canned edge gel/foam for sure.

Happy shaving!

Thank you all for the advice. Again, I am looking for that, "Oh no, I slept in and need
a quick, two pass, before work shave", not the normal, "lather up and relax shave". Clearly

I will try the Molton Brown brushless wax and write up a review next week. There is

Happy shaving!

If you want quick, try brushless creams like Cremo Cream or Palmolive brushless. I can't stand brushless creams but some members have good success with them.

It's easy to think this since most (all? :wink: ) of us tend to romanticize the crap out of the whole deal. There are at least two categories of wetshavers: those that are getting along just fine with the mainstream mass-marketed stuff, but like the romantic notions of doing it old school (this would be me) and then there are those that are suffering through uncomfortable shaves and really just want a no-nonsense, easy, and comfortable shave regardless of what products are used in doing so. For some, this may include a DE and some type of gel.

Just some food for thought. :smile:

+1
I'm your category

I would try Cremo Cream, supposed to be very good. I actually posted on this forum about a xmas present I had received, Anthony Logistics Shave Gel. While I prefer using a brush, this stuff did deliver as promised. I got a good, close shave with no irritation. My only complaint is that it dried my skin a bit, not bad, but more than the other traditional products I've used.

That said, I would use this stuff if I was in a hurry and didn't have time to treat myself to a brush/cream/soap.

Steve

Happy shaving!

Good to hear! Maybe you'll become one of the brushless shaving gurus around here. I'm looking forward to any reviews on brushless creams and gels. Sometimes the wind don't blow, the sky ain't blue, the grass ain't green and you don't have time for a quality shave. I keep a store brand shave gel (which I'm ashamed to mention) in my work kit. I use it at the office when I have to shave at work.
Ultimately, shaving is all about you and how you want to do it. Just be adised that most people here will march through Hell to enjoy a wetshave, so watch the crossfire.
Enjoy!
Ernest

I bought my 19 year-old son some of the Clinique shave gel and he gave it rave reviews. He was using Edge before.

Almost embarassed to admit it, but the closest shave I have had since returning to DE shaving was with Zirh brushless shave cream. I suspect the gel would be as good, or better.

I suspect that the feedback from running my fingertips over my face after the first pass was a great help in subsequent passes.

Paul

(P.S. If we can discuss still using cartridge blades in this forum, surely brushless products are not outside the scope.)

Top Bottom