What's new

Received Feather SS - no turning back now .

I have been using a Cobra Classic and tried the Feather AC razor since they share the same blades. definately a different experience.

Good luck.

Since I am now getting good shaves even with the Feather/Kai blades even when new (I was getting razor burn initially, 3 months ago), I decided to give the Feather Light blades another try (I hated them initially). Well, they do require a slightly different/higher attack angle since the blade exposure is smaller/shorter, but they worked great: I got a great and smooth shave this morning with the Light blade:
proxy.php

@ wquiles.... BTW.... what are are your thoughts on Feather Pro Blades?
When I started roughly 3 months ago, I found all of the blades a tad too sharp - a little unforgiving when new. After a few uses, they would "mellow" out, and were more pleasant. During that time I switched to the Kai Mild Guard, and I used that exclusively for a long while, and then got to shave with traditional straights for the next 1-2 months. After 3-4 months "experience", I just recently went back to the Feather Pro Blades (which I initially found too sharp), and just finished having 6-7 great shaves with a new blade in my RG. Then again with the Feather Light, which I hated in the Feather SS (I now have sold all SS models, CJB, and the folding DX - I now just have the fixed-handle RG), and today I got a great shave with it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while you are learning, the Feather blades tend to be unforgiving. I saw them as "too sharp", but in reality my technique was not good enough to try some of those sharp blades, and even though I honestly though I was applying light pressure, I was still using too much pressure, instead of letting the very sharp edge simply do its job. During that time I got a few nicks/cuts and a little razor burn, but as my technique improved, and I learned to "really" apply little pressure, I am now enjoying those blades I initially discarded. I now feel I can shave with any of them, but I must admit having found a razor that feels great (fixed handle RG) really helps as well.

So, if you are starting, I would try the Feather Guard and the Kai Mild Guard. They are a little bit more forgiving when starting out :biggrin1:

Last edited:
When I started roughly 3 months ago, I found all of the blades a tad too sharp - a little unforgiving when new. After a few uses, they would "mellow" out, and were more pleasant. During that time I switched to the Kai Mild Guard, and I used that exclusively for a long while, and then got to shave with traditional straights for the next 1-2 months. After 3-4 months "experience", I just recently went back to the Feather Pro Blades (which I initially found too sharp), and just finished having 6-7 great shaves with a new blade in my RG. Then again with the Feather Light, which I hated in the Feather SS (I now have sold all SS models, CJB, and the folding DX - I now just have the fixed-handle RG), and today I got a great shave with it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while you are learning, the Feather blades tend to be unforgiving. I saw them as "too sharp", but in reality my technique was not good enough to try some of those sharp blades, and even though I honestly though I was applying light pressure, I was still using too much pressure, instead of letting the very sharp edge simply do its job. During that time I got a few nicks/cuts and a little razor burn, but as my technique improved, and I learned to "really" apply little pressure, I am now enjoying those blades I initially discarded. I now feel I can shave with any of them, but I must admit having found a razor that feels great (fixed handle RG) really helps as well.

So, if you are starting, I would try the Feather Guard and the Kai Mild Guard. They are a little bit more forgiving when starting out :biggrin1:

Brother.... thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I really appreciate it! Its people like you who make these forums great! :)

Brother.... thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I really appreciate it! Its people like you who make these forums great! :)
You are welcome. I have gotten a lot of help here, so it is good when I do have an opportunity to help others in return.

Never say never, but perhaps the last "Feather" system razor I will be testing - the fixed handle DX (top) vs. my work-day shaver RG (bottom):
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The DX came at 1.6 oz while the RG came at 1.5 oz. I have been shaving with the RG for a while - tomorrow I will try the DX.

The Feather SS will be my first straight, just not the Japanese style. I could get one now but I'm going to hold off for a couple of weeks. I still need to perfect my DE technique.

love my feather ac dx with folding dark wood handle! i agree that at first the blades are too sharp/aggressive but then you learn to let the blade do the work and lighten up and perfect your form and they become comfortable. the first shave or two though on a new blade still has some bite though and will bite if you get cocky, rushed or lazy with it. show it respect and it will show you a good shave.

OK .... so this may be a bit extreme... but do you guys sterilize your feather blades after every shaves? Or is this over kill? I intend to use 1 blade for a max of one week.....

I am new to all this so please go easy :D

OK .... so this may be a bit extreme... but do you guys sterilize your feather blades after every shaves? Or is this over kill? I intend to use 1 blade for a max of one week.....

Yes, I do. I have one of these medium size Barbicide containers, and after each shave, I take the blade and leave it inside the container until next time I shave. I then take the blade out (tweezers), rinse it well with tap water, and put back into the RG/DX:
http://www.amazon.com/Barbicide-Mid...UTF8&qid=1371304031&sr=1-3&keywords=barbicide

Nope, I open up the razor, rinse it all off, and then dab it dry before putting it back together for the next shave.

Thank you to those of you that have contributed to this informative thread. Yesterday I purchased an Artist Club DX Japanese style non folder with a pack of Light blades. Good first run today but blades need more exposure. I will wipe mine down inside and out after each use and store with the blade separate. This approach is because it will be in rotation with many straights and be stored in a seven day set leather roll up. If I were to use it daily I would only disassemble to clean on blade changing. Never had a issue with a DE by not disinfecting it.

Nope, don't do anything... rinse it off in hot water and shave er, switch blades every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I dip a new blade in alcohol before my first use and say once a week thereafter.

Thank you to those of you that have contributed to this informative thread. Yesterday I purchased an Artist Club DX Japanese style non folder with a pack of Light blades. Good first run today but blades need more exposure.
+1

The light blades are sharp enough, but their limited exposure means a higher angle of attack. They work, but not quite as comfortable as the "normal" length blades (Feather and KAI). I am slowly using these Light blades, and don't plan on ever buying these ever again :thumbdown

+1

The light blades are sharp enough, but their limited exposure means a higher angle of attack. They work, but not quite as comfortable as the "normal" length blades (Feather and KAI). I am slowly using these Light blades, and don't plan on ever buying these ever again :thumbdown

+1

The light blades forced too steep an angle which left me with razor burn even with no pressure. Pro blades are definitely more comfortable.

The SS is definitely a great razor. Lately I have been shaving with 2x of my DE's (EJ89 and Gillette NEW Comb) with various DE blades (re-visiting which DE blades work best for me), but on my next "rotation" I am back to the Feather razors - I miss them by now :)

Top Bottom