What's new

Received Feather SS - no turning back now .

Dont know about you but I am hoping in the back of my head that this will lead to owning a "real" straight one day or the teak handled SS or DX
I know what you mean - anything is possible. If you told me 6 months ago (before I started wet shaving with a DE, when I was still using an electric shaver), that I would be one day shaving with a str8 (even a non-traditional str8 such as the SS), I would have said: "no way in hell!". Fast forward to today - I actually enjoyed my shave with a str8 razor this morning :thumbup1:

Well, my shave today was OK, but still needs lots more work. I still got a few small nicks, and still have some razor burn (actually, a little bit more razor burn than yesterday) - I need concentrate more on zero pressure and let the SS do its job. The awkwardness of holding the SS was less today, but I am still trying to figure out how to hold for each side/part of my face. I did 3x passes today but only on the easy areas, and the save took longer, about 30 minutes or so. The ProGuard still felt sharp as before, but still not ultra-smooth gliding-wise.

Still need lots more practice, but I noted a few things when comparing with my DE shaves:
- easier around the jaw line with the SS
- less razor burn with the SS on the neck area, but more around the chin, and edge of the lips
- it is awesome to "see" the stubble that was cut, as it is being cut on the SS.
- the "guard" on the SS definitely works great for a str8 newbie such as myself:
proxy.php

Will

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Great progress in two days!

I notice that straight shaving tends to exfoliate the skin more, especially if too much pressure or angle is used. Also your lather needs to be as slippery as possible to allow the blade to slide over the skin without taking too much if the top layer off. If you try a pass without lather you might find little bits of skin intermingled with the stubble- so imagine how you skin can take a battering if you aren't careful.

SO I found shaving everyday you need to be on top of your game to avoid a little burn. If I skip a day the skin builds up enough where I can be a bit more sloppy with the technique. Then again some people have durable skin and can shave everyday with aplomb. YMMV and all that, but a semi perfect straight shave is still better than the best DE shave IMO.

Thanks Kent. Lots of learning ahead of me, but I remain encouraged.

If my face feels "normal" tomorrow from today's razor burn, I will try the SS tomorrow before going to work (and try a lighter touch!); if not, I will shave with my Futur to give my skin an extra day "off" :biggrin1:

If I went for a BBS every day I would have to be a lot more careful than I am. The exfoliation issue would make me kinda raw and bleedy (like Paco's old tagline).

You are off to a great start. Like you I went from DE to Straight, but started with "regular" razors. I was interested in the Feather system but the scary-sharp stories had me waiting for a while. That was a mistake, I would have been better off with a Feather much earlier in the move. With Str8 shaving there are so many skills to master and variables. (Prep, Lather, Edge quality, stropping, angle, pressure blah blah) that you don't know what you did right when it goes well or what you did wrong when it goes badly...
The SS/Feather takes a lot of that out of the equation. A perfect edge is only seconds away...

Blades - I've tried the Dorco, Pro, Pro Guard and KAI Mild Pink. They all do well but the KAI seems to be the best all around blade so far...YMMV.
I've used the SS Folding, SS Non folding (very nice BTW) and the CJB Blade Holder - a Korean clone of the Feather RG non folding.

When I travel long enough to check a bag I bring the SS Folding and a spare blade or two (Hint: if you travel, set the dispenser with the last couple of blades aside to take on the road)
The SS folding fits in a toothbrush holder BTW...
Since you don't need to bring a strop and the pre and post shave blade care is next to nothing you save a lot of time & space but still get a BBS shave...for this reason I often go to the Feather SS when pressed for time. I find I can get to DFS or DFW+ with one careful pass and touch up for that pesky area (we all have at least one)

With a little practice I was getting 14-18 shaves from a blade, again YMMV.

PM me if you want to try the Dorco and Feather Pro Blade.

And excellent photography BTW...

Good shaving...

If I went for a BBS every day I would have to be a lot more careful than I am. The exfoliation issue would make me kinda raw and bleedy (like Paco's old tagline).
Thanks man - I think I am being too hard on myself, wanting too much too soon. I will stop seeking the BBS for now until I get more experience :thumbup1:

You are off to a great start. Like you I went from DE to Straight, but started with "regular" razors. I was interested in the Feather system but the scary-sharp stories had me waiting for a while. That was a mistake, I would have been better off with a Feather much earlier in the move. With Str8 shaving there are so many skills to master and variables. (Prep, Lather, Edge quality, stropping, angle, pressure blah blah) that you don't know what you did right when it goes well or what you did wrong when it goes badly...
The SS/Feather takes a lot of that out of the equation. A perfect edge is only seconds away...

Blades - I've tried the Dorco, Pro, Pro Guard and KAI Mild Pink. They all do well but the KAI seems to be the best all around blade so far...YMMV.
I've used the SS Folding, SS Non folding (very nice BTW) and the CJB Blade Holder - a Korean clone of the Feather RG non folding.

When I travel long enough to check a bag I bring the SS Folding and a spare blade or two (Hint: if you travel, set the dispenser with the last couple of blades aside to take on the road)
The SS folding fits in a toothbrush holder BTW...
Since you don't need to bring a strop and the pre and post shave blade care is next to nothing you save a lot of time & space but still get a BBS shave...for this reason I often go to the Feather SS when pressed for time. I find I can get to DFS or DFW+ with one careful pass and touch up for that pesky area (we all have at least one)

With a little practice I was getting 14-18 shaves from a blade, again YMMV.

And excellent photography BTW...

Good shaving...
Thanks much for the great tips. I might still try a traditional straight at some point, but yes, not wanting to learn the hone/strop was a huge factor in trying the SS.

I would like to please try the Dorco and Pro Blade - maybe they will glide better/smoother than the ProGuard I am using. I will send you a PM shortly :biggrin1:

Thanks,
Will

Will,

so day two went better for me as well, I spent a little more time on my preshave prep, which seemed to make a big difference, I have quite the wiry scruff and was dragging a little on the curve between my jaw and neck espcecially...

I also tried a thinner soap/water mix and that seemed to help too...

I think this will be relegated to the weekend rotation for now until i can figure a way to soften my beard better without a longer prep, which I dont have too much time for in the morning...(i posted a thread about this today)

Good luck going forward

Scott

Thanks Scott. I am also debating if I should continue practicing during the work week, or just on weekends. I am eager to practice with the SS more, but don't want to over-do-it either :blush:

Thanks Scott. I am also debating if I should continue practicing during the work week, or just on weekends. I am eager to practice with the SS more, but don't want to over-do-it either :blush:

feel ya on that one, i sure got the "bug" if there is one for this...something about holding the folding "knife" really is a good feeling, wonder how long till i buy my first traditional straight, or get my grandfathers restored, if i can get it away from my dad!

feel ya on that one, i sure got the "bug" if there is one for this...something about holding the folding "knife" really is a good feeling, wonder how long till i buy my first traditional straight, or get my grandfathers restored, if i can get it away from my dad!

I agree on the "holding the knife" part. It is of course a very subjective thing, but holding the SS sure feels better to me that holding my DE's:biggrin1:

I started out by only shaving at night, when I have lots of time. I have gotten my shave down to about 15 minutes total, so I have recently started shaving in the morn, before work.
Congrats, sounds like you are doing fine.
Bil

I shaved with the SS this morning, but only attempted a two-pass shave, being extra careful with the pressure, and although not as close a shave as with the 3x pass, my face feels a "lot" better today, and got no cuts/nicks. I think that for now on, I will stick to the two-pass shaves until I get more experience - I think it was foolish of me to try the 3x pass to start with. Lesson learned :blush:

I think that for now on, I will stick to the two-pass shaves until I get more experience - I think it was foolish of me to try the 3x pass to start with. Lesson learned :blush:

You can get excellent shaves with just two passes with these puppies. I can get DFS (or near enough) with a WTG, XTG and touch up (essentially a double xtg). The shave will last into the night. You will enjoy it.

You can get excellent shaves with just two passes with these puppies. I can get DFS (or near enough) with a WTG, XTG and touch up (essentially a double xtg). The shave will last into the night. You will enjoy it.

Great to hear. You and others have provided much encouragement/advice, so I feel a lot better about my newbie str8 razor mistakes - thanks much :biggrin1:

If you keep using this razor frequently you might wanna read this topic again in a month or two just to see how far you have come in that short time, the difference in shaves will be enormous! Practice, practice ...

If you keep using this razor frequently you might wanna read this topic again in a month or two just to see how far you have come in that short time, the difference in shaves will be enormous! Practice, practice ...

Thanks man. I did a two-pass shave today, with a few touch-ups, and got no razor burn. Still need work on my chin and upper lip, and still playing/trying different ways to hold the razor. Not quite a DFS, but close/good enough to go to the office :biggrin1:

Just got the PIF package from you today - thank you very much for the help and taking the time to put these in the mail for me. Much appreciated :thumbup:

I look forward to returning the favor to others getting started, who might be wanting to try out new blades in the future :thumbup1:

I tried the Feather Light blade today on my SS. Not a great fist impression on me. Since the blade exposure is so small, and since the SS has that "lip" or "guard" at the edge, in order to get the blade to cut, I had to significantly increase the angle, which made it harder to shave with. Of course very sharp, but the increased angle actually made the SS to feel more "aggressive" with the "Light" blade, which is the complete opposite of what I would have expected from using a "light" blade.

Of course, just day one with blade, and I will try it again tomorrow, but so far I liked the ProGuard blade better on my SS. In the PIF there was also a Feather Pro, and a Dorco, so if tomorrow's shave feels about the same as today, I will try one of the other blades.

Will

Top Bottom