What's new

Running start or standing start?

Please forgive the ignorance here but I was wondering if you take a running start with a straight or start from a static position? I have done some shaving of others with a shavette but tonight will be my first straight shave on myself and would rather come away from it with a good experience.

Running start or Drag race?

If you refer to a stroke that begins before it touches your face vs. resting the blade on your skin then taking a stroke, the answer is a running start. It doesn't take a lot of motion just have the blade moving before contact. YMMV

-jason

it's a a split second start into movement. the most important thing is not to move only sideways, it needs to be moving in a up/down motion at least.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you place the blade on your skin prior to moving in the direction of the pass the hand's natural tendency to shake and move laterally a bit can cut you. So +1 to the running start. When you get better it's not as much of an issue.

I am a little scared I have to admit. I have been in some high stress places in my life and I really don't feel the strain much but this one has me dreaming Sweeney Todd!

But what the H***, chicks dig scars, right? :austin1:

I am a little scared I have to admit. I have been in some high stress places in my life and I really don't feel the strain much but this one has me dreaming Sweeney Todd!

But what the H***, chicks dig scars, right? :austin1:

Bingo. No shame in that fear, you'd be nuts not to be somewhat afraid, and it's the respect we give the edge that keeps us careful. However, once you take that first swipe, you realize how it feels and that its not so bad. You get comfy with it quickly.

Didn't your momma teach you not to run with sharp things? You'll put out an eye! :a30:

But yeah, having the razor in a gliding motion before contact is a good idea. That point of shaving is the most common way to get cut.

Well, I'll be darned. No nicks, no weepers, WTG and ATG on the cheeks and ATG on the neck. I did find out that my hands are retarded and that they want the angle to be closer to 90° than 30° so I just went slow and took it bit by bit.

I cleaned up with an 89 black beauty and a personna labs blade. Smoooooth. Thanks for all the help, please continue on with comments, I like to hear your stories.

Wow. That's impressive. Anything beyond with-the-grain strokes during the first shave takes guts. Good job.

Well, I'll be darned. No nicks, no weepers, WTG and ATG on the cheeks and ATG on the neck. I did find out that my hands are retarded and that they want the angle to be closer to 90° than 30° so I just went slow and took it bit by bit.

Ignore the whole degrees thing, and shoot for spine-widths. Keep the spine about 1 spine-width, maybe a smidgen more, from your face. Because larger razors have appropriately thicker spines than smaller razors, it keeps things size independent and something more easily visible. Too steep an angle and razor-burn and shorter edge-life will soon follow.

Sounds like you did fantastic! Congrats!

One other thing, and your eyes will likely pop here, but when you get comfy enough, maybe shave 25 or so, try adding a little azimuthal angle to the stroke by either rotating the blade so that it is non-head-on to the stroke, or taking the stroke itself with a bit of slide to it. Sounds stupid, but again, this is not supposed to be an axe going into trees (100% head on) but instead, a sharp knife sliding through a stick of fresh Italian bread. That slight angle (whichever method you choose) will help glide through the whiskers cleaner and easier, again reducing razor burn and increasing edge life.

Last edited:

I cleaned up with an 89 black beauty and a personna labs blade. Smoooooth. Thanks for all the help, please continue on with comments, I like to hear your stories.

Way to go. Was the shave what you expected?

Krodor, That's what I was afraid you were going to tell me, slide the sucker across my face like the videos here show. I am sure I will get there but a step at a time. Thanks for your well wishes and encouragement, I will try the spine width next shave tomorrow.

Way to go. Was the shave what you expected?

Yes, it really was. I am so happy that I didn't start with a traditional straight though, I want to bring a razor up to shave ready myself and I will be damned if I give in to my desires and take a short cut here. That means Weck shaves for now. If you want, I have a Weck i'll be happy to PIF you along with a blade or two (don't have more yet) to get you started.

*Update*

I did shave #2 with the Weck two days ago and will do my third tonight. The second shave was just like the first but I was able to do a XTG from ear to mouth (I wear a goatee) as well as the rest.

I did do half of my face with a standard Soligen razor for comparison sake and I felt I got a better shave from the Weck using a Personna blade. Beginners luck still holds and I hope it will follow me tonight. This shave will be just the Weck though, I like the smoothness of the shave.

I have to admit, I am jazzed with the idea of getting more straights and Wecks, they make me spend even more time shaving and the wife is fascinated with the "danger" of the whole thing.

$Goat-EE.jpgMy Goat-ee

Top Bottom