What's new

The Worst Blade

Top Care generic from my local grocery store. 6 passes and still some stubble. On the bright side, no weepers. Damn things just don't cut. Same razor with GSBs or Voskhods, it's incredibly better.

I would happily shave with any and all of these blades. Most I've shaved with at some point or another and they can (with some effort) give me at least one or more good shaves. Maybe not the best shave but they are definitely usable blades.

However there is one blade that I've encountered that is completely worthless. Until you've tried a Flying Eagle Chinese blade you really have no idea just how bad a blade can get. It's a blade I could not even finish the first pass with. I can't say this for any other blade and I've tried a whole lot of them, including many of the less desirable ones.

The Flying Eagle is just sharp enough to grab onto the hair and dig in but not sharp enough to actually cut through it. This results in you pulling out each hair root and all. It's flat out torture to use this blade.

A sadistic member here sent me a pack of these blades (actually it was included in a very nice PIF) and I've passed on the majority of them on to other users with warnings of just how bad they are. The result is always the same, by far the worst blade ever. Nobody seems to make it through a shave with most binning it sometime during the first pass.

That would make an awesome prank gift!

My favorites are the Feather as well as the old Gillette Spoilers. Both provide outstanding effectiveness with much comfort and are long-lasting.

I'm not picky over the blade, most providing effective shaves with adequate comfort. For me, it's mostly about the mileage a blade gives before wheezing to a stop. If it goes a full seven-day week it makes the grade. If it can't hold out that long before it loses its effectiveness and begins to pull then it's a second rate product. I'm happy with a number of blades that receive frequent mention here as being horrible.

The worst blade I actually managed some shaves with is the Wilkinson. Tried them off and on for a couple of years after I took up double-edged shaving after a 30-year hiatus. Ineffective cutting and discomfort like no other is my experience with the Wilkinson. Tried buying them on different occasions. All were wretched.

Then there's the worst blade I never shaved with. The Chinese Flying Eagle brand. Picked up a couple of packs. I've tried them a couple of times but have yet to shave with them because they simply won't cut. I don't think the sharpening step was completed when the blade was manufactured. I've never successfully cut a whisker with a Flying Eagle. Try a pack just for the amusement. Quality so deplorable simply must be experienced.

A Senator with Flying Eagles ? Like fueling a Duesenberg with Moonshine : /

I've just finished reading all 415 posts in this thread, a tribute to "YMMV". Just about every blade mentioned had a defender somewhere in the thread. Just about...

there was NOBODY who had anything good to say about 7AM blades from Bangladesh. The other common blade made in Bangladesh, the Sharp, at least had one person who said something like "not too horrible". The other blade with no defenders was the Flying Eagle from China. I've not tried either in my 40+ years of wet shaving. My personal worst were Gillette Blue package blades from Shanghai, and I can get an uncomfortable SAS from them if I'm careful.

Was given some Gillette 365 blades and the worst I have used.
Only tried Derby, Personna and Feather.
At the moment Personna red platinums are my blade of chioce

Guys who choose Derby or Dorco have never shaved with Chinese blades. Imagine a Derby blade that's been used for two weeks.

When I started DE shaving a few years ago, I bought a pack of Wilkinson Sword from Wal Mart. Talk about a rough shave! They tugged on my whiskers like crazy. I haven't touched one since then. I should try one out to see if it was my technique, or to see if the blades are really that horrible.

Top Bottom