What's new

The Worst Blade

Lets have a discussion of horrible blades. I would nominate the Treet Carbon Durasharp. This is a horrible blade. I have tried about 5-6 different blades from 2-3 different packs in about 5 different razors. Each shave is basically an exercise in pulling the blades out of the skin instead of actually shaving. Oh the horror...

What are your nominations?

I'm probably not the person to be the first reply on "worst blades". I was either careful, lucky or both when trying blades and havn't had any really terrible experiences that I can say is the blade. In just over a year I have tried Derby, Crystal, Israeli Personna (RIP), Astra SP, Personna Super, Wilks, Gillette 7 O'Clocks (Black, Silver Blue), Feather, Gillette "Spoiler" and several versions of store-branded "generics" from ASR and unknown sources. I'm finding I can do well with about any blade if I pay attention and keep my prep and technique consistent.

All that said... Derby is my least favorite and I will likely never by more. My consistent, count-on-it, go-to blades are Astra SP and Personns Super (labs). 7 O'Clock Blacks would be right in there if they were not 2X the price of the others.

For me, any blade with Shark on the wrapper, is the worst, I've never finished a shave with any of them. But, then again, it might be my old gray wiry beard.

The worst ever for me BIC...I also had a terrible shave last night with a Gillette Rubie. It was my first use of the blade so I'll reserve judgement until I shave with a few more.

The worst ever for me BIC...I also had a terrible shave last night with a Gillette Rubie. It was my first use of the blade so I'll reserve judgement until I shave with a few more.

Back in the 20s, Gillette had a brand called the Rubie that was nothing more than rejects from the factory, probably from Southie. I am not saying they still do that. Ref. page 24 Cutting Edge.

Last edited:
For me, Shark. However take that with a large grain of salt as they were the first blades I used when I was learning the DE. They may be fine blades, I however am too afraid to try them again.

There are few listed in this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/198176-What-blade-is-the-WORST-for-you

For me, Balaka blades were the worst.

$blade.jpg

Last edited:
The worst blades I ever tried were Chroma (German) and 7am (Bangladeshi brand not to be confused with Gillette 7 O'clock brand). Could not finish a shave with either of them. Every other blade I tried I could make work whether or not I liked it, but these two were simply impossible to even get through half a pass on one side of the face. I am good with Sharks, Derby, Dorco ST300, Merkur, Gillette Goal, Wilkinson Sword from Walmart. Not my best blades, but I can have a good shave with any of them if not the most enjoyable one. The Chroma and 7am were simply not usable for me.

Merkur & Shark. Sounds like a horrible law firm. Lol. Anyway these were the blades that I used at the beginning and on several occasions had to stop mid shave to switch them out. They just suck. I normally don't say that about to many things but these do.

This is such a subjective topic since a lot of the time when I thought I had a bad blade, it ended up either being great in another razor or was because of prep or something else. Worst blade ever, despite everything I tried were the Chinese made Gillette blues. They're super thin and super dull. Kept trying new blades but couldn't even finish a shave, which has never happened before. They aren't a fake blade but evidently are made for whispy beards or something.

Top Bottom