What's new

Safety razor head design

What I'm about to post has probably been covered here before or scattered throughout the forum, but I'm looking through 165 pages of this thread, so while I'm trying to put a search together that will pull this out, I'll submit this to see if we can get all the information in one place and maybe submit it as a wiki article.

The questions:
  1. What are the different types of DE razor head designs (i.e. open comb, slant bar, straight bar, any others?...)
  2. What are the purposes of the different designs and how does each affect the shaving experience.
  3. Can we get some good close up photos of each head design.

only design I can think of that you didn't hit is the traditional "butterfly" opening design, but then once closed it's usually straight bar (though I think I may have heard the Vision is a slant, but I don't have one).

Straight is normal - the gap between the bar and blade dictates how agressive the razor is.

Open Comb in theory I think is supposed to help disentangle your stubble as you shave it, and therefore be good for thick beards. I have one and don't think it does much other than poke my skin if I'm not careful.

Slant Bar is supposed to be very aggressive and mimic a straight for reasons I've never understood, but that may be because I don't own one.

as for photos, if you go to classicshaving.com and bestgroomingtools.com you can see up close photos of the various head designs.

I found a post by Moses back in April that seems to be a pretty good description of a straight bar vs an open comb design attacks the beard. Based on most of the posts, it seems that it may be a matter of opinion or personal preference which gives a closer shave. I haven't found any specifics on the slant bar yet.

For what it's worth, and that may or may not be a lot depending on personal preferences, I'd like to stick to the technical aspects as much as possible and maybe link to the other threads for input on personal experiences.

What I'm about to post has probably been covered here before or scattered throughout the forum, but I'm looking through 165 pages of this thread, so while I'm trying to put a search together that will pull this out, I'll submit this to see if we can get all the information in one place and maybe submit it as a wiki article.

The questions:
  1. What are the different types of DE razor head designs (i.e. open comb, slant bar, straight bar, any others?...)
  2. What are the purposes of the different designs and how does each affect the shaving experience.
  3. Can we get some good close up photos of each head design.

see pics :smile:

This is a great thread. I'm saving this page as an archive for future reference.

Thanks so much for all the great pics.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom