What's new

The 2013 Gun Range Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit the outdoor "range" with my brother and my mom yesteryday.

List of firearms available (sharing is encouraged and appreciated, and no one is stingy with ammo, aside from one particular round...more on that later):

- H&K P30 9mm - my mom's 9mm...very comfortable, accurate, all around a very nice handgun
- Springfield XD 9mm SubCompact - my new one...first time out with it...accurate, comfortable even in my big hands
- Walther PPS .22lr - nice little plinker, easy to shoot, no issues with cycling target ammo
- Springfield XD 5" 9mm - big brother to my xd, owned by my little brother (he owns a gunshop)
- Springfield TRP Operator 1911 - awesome firearm, great trigger, just all around super
- Remington 45 Colt revolvers (2) - my brothers wheel gun rig, he's a very quick draw and shot

Rifles - I don't know the specs on all of these, since they are built and modded by my brother...
- AR15 by DEZ Tactical (I think), with red dot, front post, bipod, etc. etc. etc. very very accurate...
- AR15 (not sure of the make)...all I know is that he has a big long bull barrel on the thing, big optic, bipod, etc...on the money at 100yds.

This last one was the only one he was stingy with ammo, for good reason...it's a custom round, that my brother developed/modded/etc. with his gunsmithing friend in NC when he was at his metal working school. It costs about $5 per round. Big Boom, little recoil, very well smithed gun. It's on a generic polymer stock, with a custom bolt, barrel, and a long scope. The first round is the stock brass with a ballistic tipped projectile, after that the brass is "fire-formed" (the shoulder gets pushed up and out, and the angle decreased), which allows for a few more grain in the brass. Just 2 more grain and we'd be working with a compressed load.

All around a good time

Went out to my dad's backyard range last Sunday. I brought my 1940 Tula M91/30, he had his Hungarian M44 to match. (A previously Bubba'd Enfield Mk4 No1 and a Hungarian M95 also made their way to the bench.)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Shot my Glock 19 Gen4 for the first time today. This thing was a bear to get. I ended up having to order it from a dealer and sit and wait by the phone for it to come in. It shot great though. I put 45 rounds into this target at 20ft. This was my second target and I finished the day with a third target at 25ft.
$IMG_1258.jpg

I didn't shoot today, but I went to volunteer at a work day at a local skeet range run by the Hurlburt Field force support squadron. All nice guys at club, there are 3 skeet fields and they are building a five stand field. I'm looking forward to buying my first shotgun and learning these sports.

Nice range weekend. Shot a Steel Challenge match with my 13 year old son yesterday (he shot a tricked 10/22, I shot a Sig P226 9mm) and I called and shot a .22/centerfire 1200 bullsey match today (S&W 41/Rock River 1911 .45). :biggrin1:

Tom

Short trip to the range yesterday:

- Springfield Armory XD 9mm Sub Compact

Had a little fun trying to hit a playing card sized target at about 50 yards with a sub compact. My brother and I both hit once out of 10 rounds...but we surrounded the target, so we would have still hit whatever we were aiming for.

- A couple 1911's - Kimber and Springfield Armory TRP Operator - definitely more accurate at 50 yards than the sub-compact.

And, and little plinking with a Ruger SR22...it's always fun.

I made it to the backyard range on Saturday with my Armscor m200. It's a 38 special that is a knock off of a Colt Detective Special with a 4" barrel. I finished off a box of Sellier & Bellot wad cutters I had started a month ago. I'm still not a great shot with it, but at 50' I'm now hitting the target much better than I was a few months ago. I guess the range time is paying off.

Sunday morning I am going to try and roll my own using a variety of different powders and try them in the afternoon. We'll see how that goes.

Headed out today, shot my first actual groups since sighting in, this was my third group. Three rounds, at first I couldn't find the third, so I flipped over my target backer and it came thru the with the first shot on the left hand side, if you look real close you can tell. It measured 1.340 inches from a supported position, 100 grain Federal Power-Shok thru Ruger American .243. I am real happy, now to work on my skills much more, and I just ordered my dies so I'll see if I can come up with some better loads...
$042813150953.jpg

I made it out to the range again Sunday evening. I wasn't able to put together a variety of loads as I had planned, so instead loaded 50 rounds of a recipe I had done in the past.

Made it out to the range on Saturday to try out three new guns. My Kahr CM9, my Walther PPK, and my brother's Ruger GP 100. The GP 100 is a really sweet shooter. He put a spring kit in it to lighten the trigger, and it is really nice now. It shoots just as well as my S&W 686.
I was pleased with how manageable the CM9 is, and I was able to get good shot placements with it.
The PPK was disappointing. It shoots WAY to the left. At 10 yards my shots were about a foot left of the bullseye. I noticed that the rear sight is already adjusted pretty far to the right, so I am wondering if a previous owner tried to adjust the sight, but couldn't get it far enough to correct the issue. In fact, it is so far off that I think I need to inspect the crown for damage. This one might need some work from a good gun smith. It also wasn't feeding hollow points reliably.
This trip was especially fun because we were able to get our mother to come with us. She enjoyed shooting our revolvers loaded with .38 Special, as well as my Browning Buckmark. She didn't care for any of the 9mms, or .45s though.
It was a good day at the range, with the PPK being the only disappointment.

Good shooting, nothing wrong with that group from hunting ammo!

Headed out today, shot my first actual groups since sighting in, this was my third group. Three rounds, at first I couldn't find the third, so I flipped over my target backer and it came thru the with the first shot on the left hand side, if you look real close you can tell. It measured 1.340 inches from a supported position, 100 grain Federal Power-Shok thru Ruger American .243. I am real happy, now to work on my skills much more, and I just ordered my dies so I'll see if I can come up with some better loads...
View attachment 329896

Went with my son's Boy Scout Troop to shoot 22's at the Izaak Walton League. They have a gorgeous place out in the woods and it was a perfect day. Each scout received individual instruction, shooting 6 scouts at a time. Some were shooting for the first time. I am a big proponent for teaching proper firearms use and safety to youngsters. They provided everything free of charge. I was impressed they were able to find 22 ammo, let alone enough for 29 scouts to shoot 30 rounds each. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I finally scored my Ruger SR22 pistol and got him out for shooting on Sunday! I was very excited! Too bad this endeavor wasn't trouble free...

I bought the gun new through Gunbroker and after the FFL process still came out at a very good price. But, with scheduling it took pretty much an extra week before I had the gun in hand.

It has interchangeable magazine baseplates. When I went to do this I realized that one of the mags was missing the spring seat thingy that held the baseplate to the spring. Lame, but not surprised with a purchase as it was. Called Ruger and great customer service, the part is on its way to me no charge! But, only had one mag for shooting.

I took some time and figured it all out, broke it down and made sure all was well. Took it out shooting and started with some CCI Blazers. It shot these great and it was obvious fun from the first mag! Ran through 50 of them, which was all I had.

Then went to some Federal bulk stuff.... From the first mag through maybe 70-80 rds more we had malfunctions. Pretty much every mag it failed to feed the second round. Several times there was a failure to eject, and once the next round forced the empty case into the barrel and I had to poke it out from the front. One time it totally misfed the round and it ended up sticking up out of the chamber bullet first like a stovepipe!

At this point, my wife was getting pretty sketchy about shooting it anymore with that Federal ammo. She's always nervous I'll shoot myself or it'll blow up on me lol. And we had rain moving in so we called it a day. I took it home and cleaned it. It really wasn't very dirty, but it certainly couldn't hurt. I put a little Hoppes oil in the key places too. Maybe that'll help the next time out.

Highlights from shooting it though, was it was alot of fun, fairly accurate (even for me who can't hit nuthin' hehe) and the whole fam was able to shoot it. My wife actually shot through the antique rusty steel plinking buffalo's hanging frame, taking him outta commision!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue we had? Suggestions to fix it?

Here's a pic of him out of the box:

Attachments

• $SR22.jpg
    $SR22.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 99

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I shot a friends SR22 and we had the same problem. I know .22 is hard to find right now but see if you can scrounge up a couple different brands and see which ones work the best, and which do not.

Went to the range last Sunday. I got to shoot a friend's Kahr Arms CM9 and a Walther 9mm, but can't remember which model. Had a great time.

After giving the dandelions a quick spritz on Sunday morning I went out back and popped off a box of . 38's at 50 feet. I am definitely seeing some improvement in my marksmanship, but it's still not good.

I think I would benefit from taking the binoculors with me and checking the target after every round while the sight picture from the last shot was still fresh in my mind.

You MUST try several different brands of ammo. It's a .22 thing, not your pistol. You'll find some bulk that works, don't worry.

Shot it again on Sunday, this time trying a couple different bulk brands. Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester Xpert .22 HP's. Both shot flawlessly! Well actually, I had one dud Rem round, but that happens I guess. I'm pissed at myself though because I didn't take the Federal out to retry it and see if something had changed. After the first outing I cleaned and lubed the gun well and I wonder if that is what helped.

I finally scored my Ruger SR22 pistol and got him out for shooting on Sunday! I was very excited! Too bad this endeavor wasn't trouble free...

I bought the gun new through Gunbroker and after the FFL process still came out at a very good price. But, with scheduling it took pretty much an extra week before I had the gun in hand.

It has interchangeable magazine baseplates. When I went to do this I realized that one of the mags was missing the spring seat thingy that held the baseplate to the spring. Lame, but not surprised with a purchase as it was. Called Ruger and great customer service, the part is on its way to me no charge! But, only had one mag for shooting.

I took some time and figured it all out, broke it down and made sure all was well. Took it out shooting and started with some CCI Blazers. It shot these great and it was obvious fun from the first mag! Ran through 50 of them, which was all I had.

Then went to some Federal bulk stuff.... From the first mag through maybe 70-80 rds more we had malfunctions. Pretty much every mag it failed to feed the second round. Several times there was a failure to eject, and once the next round forced the empty case into the barrel and I had to poke it out from the front. One time it totally misfed the round and it ended up sticking up out of the chamber bullet first like a stovepipe!

At this point, my wife was getting pretty sketchy about shooting it anymore with that Federal ammo. She's always nervous I'll shoot myself or it'll blow up on me lol. And we had rain moving in so we called it a day. I took it home and cleaned it. It really wasn't very dirty, but it certainly couldn't hurt. I put a little Hoppes oil in the key places too. Maybe that'll help the next time out.

Highlights from shooting it though, was it was alot of fun, fairly accurate (even for me who can't hit nuthin' hehe) and the whole fam was able to shoot it. My wife actually shot through the antique rusty steel plinking buffalo's hanging frame, taking him outta commision!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue we had? Suggestions to fix it?

Here's a pic of him out of the box:

I have had issues with Federal bulk in the past as well. Misfeeds and stovepiping mostly. I think that some of the Federal bulk .22 just doesn't have enough punch to cycle some semi auto actions reliably. That's my theory, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom