What's new

CCW-Got the Permit, Got the Gun, Now what?

Lots of chatter here about Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW).

As a former Chief Firearms Instructor I have seen quite a few different aspects what many believe to be adequate "training" when it comes to carrying a firearm. This was most recently witnessed yesterday watching a group of retired officers participate on an annual requalification necessary to retain their authorization to carry a concealed firearm under H.R. 218. Indeed the results were.......let's say varied. Some guys obviously spend some time practicing, others do not. Some are fastidious about weapon maintenance, others (sadly) could not care less. The results are the proverbial proof in the pudding.

Much of the same holds true for civilians who carry a firearm every day. Gun maintenance (if any) is often minimal, "training/practice" is oft times ineffective or misguided. It is not uncommon for people who routinely carry a firearm to show up at the range, load up a few magazines and casually squeeze off a box of rounds (taking their sweet time to slowly bring the gun to eye level, take a few seconds to acquire a sight picture, crack off a shot, then step back and assess their handiwork). Great fun for sure, but hardly adequate as far as preparing for why you're carrying the damn gun in the first place.

I'm not going to go off on a monolog here about how to do what and how often. I will suggest the following though:

1. When spending time "training" to use your firearm, do just that. Proper discipline requires you practice how to quickly and safely get your gun out of it's holster (or whatever retention means you carry it in), get it up on target, and fire a properly placed round or 2. This does NOT mean dawdling in front of a target for 15 seconds trying to accurately place a shot. That mindset will get you hurt or killed in a lethal situation.

2. Talk to your local Police; see what their qualification course(s) of fire entail. Practice shooting that particular course of fire. If it's good enough for your Law Enforcement Community; it's good enough for you.

3. Don't ever think there is such a thing as too much practice or that shooting is like riding a bicycle, it ain't.

I practice often; I wish I could spend more time doing so than I already do. Said practice allows me to routinely finish with a target that looks like this after shooting the Florida CJSTC 40 Round Police Qualification Course of Fire. Not bad but room for improvement.
$target1.jpg

Train often....stay safe.

Well said. I'm afraid too many people who get their CCW think the license is itself the end goal. It actually scares me a bit to think there are people who couldn't hit the side of a barn but carry thinking that the mere carrying of a gun will protect them. I'd also add, that in Ohio, the requirements to get a CCW are laughably easy. When I took my course, the class was filled with senior citizens 70+ yrs old who had never held a gun let alone shot one before. Every one of them passed the practical part of the test with (in my opinion) an undue amount of assistance.

Last edited:
I agree that one should train to use the weapon in the application needed.

I would encourage people to check with the range master before training, involving withdrawing from a holster. It's frowned upon, for safety reasons, in a lot of ranges and could get you a stern talking too. It's always best to ask ahead of time.

There are classes offered, at most ranges, for holster, self defense, CCW and other situations. One should consider taking a course to get the feel for using your CCW, even if you spend most of your time slow shooting at a target .

Very good comments and one that everyone (even those who do not nor have never considered carrying a weapon should read).

Here's a good twist...run hard for 100 yards, and then present and fire. Range practice is good, but it doesn't take into consideration adrenaline and all of the other factors that jump up in a "real life" encounter.

Holster presentations and dry fire practice at home are not bad ideas, either, since most ranges do frown upon drawing from a holster on the firing line. Work at getting the pistol out of the holster you wear with the clothes you wear when carrying. Learn what works while in the comfort of your home and not on the street.

How is your shooting in the dark? Do you have a light? A way to carry the light?

Find a local IDPA group and compete using your carry set-up. You don't necessarily need to play the game since some of the rules are often not tactically sound but use the opportunities to figure out what works and what doesn't when under the stress of working against the clock. Compete against yourself and try to improve your scores. Does your gun belt keep things where they need to be? Does your holster actually work?

Take a more dynamic class where you can learn to use and fire from cover. Practice shooting with the weak hand and weak eye. Practice clearing malfunctions. Know what to do to clear the weapon and get it back into action. Can you rack the slide one-handed?

THINK...think about scenarios and how you might respond. Stow the "John Wayne" stuff...learn your home, develop a plan with spouse and children for home invasions and other threats, even threats in public places. Consider the personal implications for killing someone...can you do it? Believe me, I'm not advocating rushing to the sound of gunfire since the best bet is to protect you and yours and move away from it if possible.

"training" too often only covers the physical aspects. what are/have you done to mentally prepare yourself to take someone's life if you carry? do you have the will to use the responsibility you exercise while carrying? do you know when or when not to draw/brandish/use the CCW? do you know the flow of legal events that will be executed if you so much as brandish a weapon, in your jurisdiction? are you prepared to invest your life savings in your legal defense (criminal/civil) if you do shoot someone?

some other aspects to consider.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
great info and if I could get a CCW I would. (I live in Illinois)
my goal this summer is to vist a shooting range and prepare for the time when I can get a CCW.

Here's a good twist...run hard for 100 yards, and then present and fire. Range practice is good, but it doesn't take into consideration adrenaline and all of the other factors that jump up in a "real life" encounter.

It's funny you mention that. I made the commitment to myself that before I would apply for a CCW, I would get in shape. I lost thirty pounds last year with exercise and a healthy diet and am more physically fit than I've been in over a decade. YMMV

I'm afraid too many people who get their CCW think the license is itself the end goal.
Sad indeed. The same can be said about even deadlier weapons, automobiles. Because everyone knows that a person with a freshly issued drivers license is a safe, experienced, professional driver. They know how to handle themselves in every situation and in every vehicle type...instantly.

Last edited:
Iowa dropped the requirement to prove profficiency on the firing range a couple of years ago. That was the same time we became a "shall issue" state. It's scary that some of the guys now teaching these classes can carry, let alone some of the students they pass.

I was thinking of getting the CCW permit and asked about it at the range near my office. Although not required to do so by the state, they won't pass you unless you can prove weapons proficiency at their range. After I found out what their requirements were I tried it at home. I wasn't even close. Like the OP says, it isn't like riding a bike and I hadn't been practicing. Maybe once I get so that I can meet their standards I'll consider getting the permit, but not until.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Excellent post & thread Acmemfg. And sadly true that many, feel as they have reached their 'long term' goals of adequecy & proficiency once they have recieved that little piece of plastic which allows them to carry a firearm.

And considering the current events along with the gouged prices and scarce availability of ammo, makes it even more difficult for the excellent advice you have given in your post to encourage those who want to do more training/practicing because they recognize the huge responsibility that comes along with that piece of plastic.

As you stated, basic practical firearms training has to be a lifestyle. A mindset. People who carry firearms on a regular basis have to realize that any firearms skill they learn, regardless if you are a new or experienced shooter will have the shelf life of Bananas.

If you do not eat those bananas, they will rot very shortly. Firearms training has to be a constant, and vigilant way of life. This is why all police departments have minimum qualification proficiency tests for all officers and their duty weapons, all the way from the Chief to the Rookie. If they fail to meet these constant standards periodically through out their careers they will not be employed as officers, period.

And as Acmemfg so eloquently stated, whats good enough for law enforcement, is good enough for you.

Edit: By the way, nice shooting Acmemfg! :)

Last edited:
And as Acmemfg so eloquently stated, whats good enough for law enforcement, is good enough for you.

I would suggest that this is false. Mindset for a civilian CCW is fundamentally different from that of an LEO. Civilians don't have a duty to protect and should not be further inserting themselves into situations in which they have no authority to act or acting outside the scope of their carry permits. The reasons for a civilian to carry concealed are at their heart different from those of LE.

A civilian will not have any immunity whatsoever if rounds fired injury or kill a bystander or damage property whereas an LEO will generally have immunity when acting reasonably within the scope of performing his duties. Also, an LEO will have some recourse to legal representation through his employer should he need it. Legal fees for a civilian are 100% on the civilian.

While I would agree that a strong case could be made for a civilian carrying a weapon very similar to what local LEO carry and using the same ammo suggests "reasonableness," qualification requirements for many local law enforcement agencies may not be as strict or difficult as one might expect. Check out this article...http://www.guns.com/2012/11/24/shooting-the-lapd-qualifying-course/ I've not shot the course, but I've shot qualification rounds that are tougher than what was presented in the article. In all honesty, the LAPD course as described is not overly challenging.

Shooting skills are 100% perishable, as has been pointed out, but the roles and responsibilities of a civilian are decidedly different from those of LE.

OkieStubble

I would suggest that this is false. Mindset for a civilian CCW is fundamentally different from that of an LEO. Civilians don't have a duty to protect and should not be further inserting themselves into situations in which they have no authority to act or acting outside the scope of their carry permits. The reasons for a civilian to carry concealed are at their heart different from those of LE.

A civilian will not have any immunity whatsoever if rounds fired injury or kill a bystander or damage property whereas an LEO will generally have immunity when acting reasonably within the scope of performing his duties. Also, an LEO will have some recourse to legal representation through his employer should he need it. Legal fees for a civilian are 100% on the civilian.

While I would agree that a strong case could be made for a civilian carrying a weapon very similar to what local LEO carry and using the same ammo suggests "reasonableness," qualification requirements for many local law enforcement agencies may not be as strict or difficult as one might expect. Check out this article...http://www.guns.com/2012/11/24/shooting-the-lapd-qualifying-course/ I've not shot the course, but I've shot qualification rounds that are tougher than what was presented in the article. In all honesty, the LAPD course as described is not overly challenging.

Shooting skills are 100% perishable, as has been pointed out, but the roles and responsibilities of a civilian are decidedly different from those of LE.

What are you talking about? And how did you possibly perceive me saying that the roles of a CCW should be the same as an LEO from what I posted? All I can say is, just wow!

I said Basic practical firearms training has to be a lifestyle & mindset. Lets look at some of the operative words I used in my post so that they can not be misconstrued and spun a second time.

'Basic' 'Practical' Police departments have minimum, qualification proficiency tests 'constant standards' And my personal favorite, Firearms skills have the shelf life of bananas

My points had absolutely nothing in common with what you are attempting to say in my post is false. In fact, my post was pretty common sense, cut & dry points. A basic qualification score is good enough for police and should also be good enough for civilian CCW carry.

You're just too deep for me bro, or your suggestion of my simple pointed post being false has you dumbfounded. :)

Last edited:
My wife and I both are taking our CCW this month. I have about million rounds in my life sent down range and my wife quite a bit less but is still a dead eye.

I find that LEO's come in two different colors, BLUE: Not just the color of the uniform but they have blue blood, police work is ingrained throughout them and many believe that only cops should ever use or carry a gun no matter what the 2nd amendment says. Then there are the BLUE STRIPE: These cops are citizens that carry a badge and represent about 66% of all licensed Law Enforcement Officers in the USA. Of the 800,000 LEO's, about 600,000 are the ones we will run in to of any given day the rest are Feds or specialty LEO's.

Of the 600k, 400k are not represented by large metropolitan collectives but by small communities or local collectives. The opinions on personal carry by LEO's are represented along those lines where the BLUE believe to have a CCW is almost criminal and the BLUE STRIPE believe that as long as the citizen obeys the law with their weapon, they have to right to do so if they choose.

Both groups have solid reasons for their beliefs and I am interested in both sides of the argument. That said, I am definitely one of the "Cold dead fingers" crew.

You got me, bro...you're just too smart for me.

With all do respect, I think you put words in OkieStubbles mouth and that's why he responded to you.

2. Talk to your local Police; see what their qualification course(s) of fire entail. Practice shooting that particular course of fire. If it's good enough for your Law Enforcement Community; it's good enough for you.

This is What he quoted and I think he was talking about practicing at the range or course, not lawsuits, duty to protect and firing into a crowd with immunity.

OkieStubble

With all do respect, I think you put words in OkieStubbles mouth and that's why he responded to you.

This is What he quoted and I think he was talking about practicing at the range or course, not lawsuits, duty to protect and firing into a crowd with immunity.

Thanks Chris, I thought for a second there, that maybe I had gotten my mords, wixed up. :wacko:

I'm not sure what the LEO qualification is, but when I was in the military, the pistol qualification was a joke. Most of the qualification courses I have seen have nothing to do with use under pressure, but more along the lines of can you aim and hit the target.

Now I do have my conceal carry permit and I train probably twice a month (less lately because of a lack of ammo). But I don't go to the range and just shoot. I shot a local IDPA shoot that is held every other week. It's not as crazy as what you may see on TV, but it still involves drawing, engaging multiple targets, and shooting while moving/behind cover.

I think that most people who "practice" with their CCW do so on a static range, under the best of circumstances. But I highly doubt that when the time comes, the "bad guy" is going to let you get into the "proper" stance and acquire the target. Thats why I like shooting IDPA, it gives you a variety of shooting scenarios, and for me costs the same as a trip to the range.

What are you talking about? And how did you possibly perceive me saying that the roles of a CCW should be the same as an LEO from what I posted? All I can say is, just wow!

I said Basic practical firearms training has to be a lifestyle & mindset. Lets look at some of the operative words I used in my post so that they can not be misconstrued and spun a second time.

'Basic' 'Practical' Police departments have minimum, qualification proficiency tests 'constant standards' And my personal favorite, Firearms skills have the shelf life of bananas

My points had absolutely nothing in common with what you are attempting to say in my post is false. In fact, my post was pretty common sense, cut & dry points. A basic qualification score is good enough for police and should also be good enough for civilian CCW carry.

You're just too deep for me bro, or your suggestion of my simple pointed post being false has you dumbfounded. :)

+1

I was about to reply and had actually typed out a long explanation, but decided it wasn't my fight....glad you cleared it up.

Top Bottom