What's new

Better Razor Than Edwin Jagger De89

I have a DE89 and it's fine. It' maybe #2 in the rotation. Right now #1 is an old Gillette Super Adjustable. Like it lots.

I currently have an Edwin Jagger De89lbl razor. I've read that they sometimes break at the screw-post that attaches the head to the handle. In the event this happens with mine at some point, what would be a step or two above the Edwin Jagger?

I like the way it shaves. It's the only DE razor I've owned, so I don't know if it's considered a mild, aggressive or medium razor. I would like something with a similar feel. (I do NOT want a Merkur, by the way.)

It would be nice to have a stainless one, but would be happy with a plated razor if it's better made.

Thanks for any suggestions.
They only break through ill-treatment. Dropping them or screwing them up too tight may lead to damage. I expect the the EJ 89 will last a lifetime, properly cared for.
The next step up, I would suggest, may be the Merkur 37C (slant bar). A very efficient razor. An extremely low percentage of failures but overall another one that will last a lifetime if looked after.

If you liked the EJDE89, then go for the Muhle R89, the "parent" of the EJDE89 series. The Muhle is well made and gives a great, smooth/mild shave.

Some of the EJs break due to being dropped.
That is unfortunate, but they have been known to replace broken heads free of charge.

I really like these razors and I have a few on hand. Merks, too.

Unless your funds will not allow it, I suggest experimenting with a few different types of razors,
spending enough time with each one to learn the proper technique required to get a good shave.

My EJ DE89 is 5+ years old (daily use until recently). If you really feel that you need to replace it - consider a Fendrihan MkII - stainless steel, slightly more efficient, a smooth shave, and under $40.

Top Bottom