What's new

Rock Island Armory

I've been looking at getting a 1911 and the RAI are getting mostly positive reviews. Looking around most 1911 style pistols go for some pretty good money. These are on the cheaper side of what's out there. Has anyone had any first hand experiance with these?

I have an RAI 1911. It's nothing fancy, but I've had no problems with it. To do it over again I would have gotten the standard instead of the mid-sized just to get the longer sight radius. Mine is the parkerized finish which took a little getting used to as my previous guns had old fashioned bluing.

I've tried a few of their full-size 1911s under the Armscor label in the Philippines. Armscor is the largest firearm manufacturer in the country. Most recently, I've tried out a standard parkerized one and their high-cap tactical version. The parkerized one was a rental and in pretty bad shape: my shots were hitting around 4" high and 4" to the right at 7 yards, but it had seen a LOT of use. The high cap was much better (and in much better shape). I got around 3" groups at 7 yards shooting as fast I could while still using the sights. IMO they are excellent value for money!

I have had a Rock Island GI 1911 for a couple of years. Super solid gun, fun to shoot, reliable as hell. Plus with a very modest initial investment you've got a gun that you can turn into a hot-rod 1911 later if you get the hankering.

I fired one a while back (a rental) and I must say that I was very impressed. Although they're on the bottom of the price scale, they do what they need to do and I was actually tempted to purchase one due to the favorable impression it made on me.

Recently I handled them, all were tight as hell and were all finished pretty well for the phosphate finish on them.

My youngest son has one and it's been great. He's had it for about 4 years now. Gives reliable service. The thing I like about it is it's factory trigger pull, very nice. A friend also has had one for about 5 years. His also has a great trigger.

The internals are nice, smooth, and show no tool marks. The pistol seems much like a military contract model in both appearance and function. I don't know how it will hold up over the long haul. It's cast rather than forged but then most 1911 clones are these days. A good dependable gun for the money.

Here's my son's pistol as it currently appears, wearing some custom "double-diamond" stocks.
proxy.php

I have 2 Rock Island 1911's. A full size GI model and a compact tactical. Both have been combat accurate and reliable. They make a great enrty level 1911 for the $$ IMO.

I prefer the tactical model as they come with a beavertail and better sights, that are worth the extra $$.

They also come with a lifetime warrenty if needed and their customer service has a good reputation.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. I am going to go pick one up tomorrow.

Great. Keep us posted. I'm sifting through 1911 decisions now actually and would love to hear your thoughts.

Got it in today. Hopefully some range time soon.

Attachments

• $P1000207.jpg
    $P1000207.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 158
  • $P1000208.jpg
    $P1000208.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 158
  • $P1000210.jpg
    $P1000210.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 157
Nice one Rick. I came very close to buying one of these a few years back. Looking forward to hearing your review.

Had a chance to get to the range today. I brought with me two different brands of 230 fmj round nose, one was some off brand stuff called Independence and the other was some Federal. The pistol only came with one mag so the other day I went to the lgs and picked up a Kimber-Pro 7 rounder.

I mixed the two different rounds in each on the mags and got to shooting. This was my first time in a long time with a .45. I'm in no way an expert of guns in general and even less with the 1911 format.

I put 70 rounds through it first time out. The gun ran with no malfunctions at all. The only hiccup was the mag that came with the gun didn't hold the slide back after the last round one time. All other times it worked great as did the Kimber mag. Like I said I'm not all the familiar with the 1911 platform but the gun felt nice and smooth as was the trigger.

So far I'm pretty damn impressed with this thing. It's a better shot than me, that's for sure.

Here a sample of my shooting at 10 yards. I have a hard time with these damn bifocals much beyond that with this size target.

As you can see I was pulling a bit to the left.

Attachments

• $P1000215.jpg
    $P1000215.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom