What's new

About to Pinaud Clubman myself

On the way home tonight I'm picking up two bottles.

Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve Cologne

I like the old fashioned and traditional stuff so I'm hoping these will suit me, I read a lot of good things about them.

When I went traveling for 3 months I only allowed myself 2 aftershaves to take and those are the two I took. Never grew tired of using one or the other for the entire trip.

proxy.php

Am I right in saying that if wearing the aftershave, there's really no need for the cologne as it's pretty potent by itself?

Use it wisely my friend, and approach it with caution. You may get the sudden urge to buy every product in the Clubman line (even Lilac Vegetol). You have been warned.

I've been a Club Member for years. I even have the Clubman talc and hair gel. I am thinking about trying Special reserve if I can ever find it locally. I'm a little confused by the opinions on SR. Is it true that it close to English Leather? That was a standard in my teen years (70's).

It is close to English Leather but it's been a while since I've smelled that. I think SR is stronger. Someone described it as smelling like an ashtray full of cigarette butts. I'd say it's like cigarette butts sprinkled with English Leather :)

SR had a sweet undertone on me that I really wasn't a fan of. Clubman and vanilla? I am all in! I also like to mix lime sec with agua lavanda for a nice lime-lavender splash

I LOVE Original Clubman. Special Reserve is a different animal. I use it, but only on occasion. It would be approximately 11th of my present AS options.

1. Clubman
1a. Stephan 320
3. Dominica Bay Rum
4. Osage Rub
5. Family Dollar Spice
6. Masters Bay Rum
7. Barbasol Brisk
8. Barbasol Pacific Rush
9. English Leather Lime
10. Florida Water
11. Clubman Special Reserve
12. Lilac Vegetal

Actually, SR and Florida Water change places depending on the weather. SR is probably 10th right now.

Used the aftershave this morning and oh, it's fantastic. It smells far nicer on than sniffing the bottle.

A question about the SR - On the bottle it says "Aftershave cologne". Does that mean I should splash it all over my face like an aftershave or dab it on like a cologne?

Try it and find out :) Try not to pass out!

I would use it gingerly. It seems to affect different people differently but I would dab. I've tried diluting it with Witch Hazel and spraying it on and it's still a bit much for me.

In my opinion Pinaud Musk is a better choice when you are considering SR.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Clubman Special Reserve is a fine scent if you take it for what it is and don't overdo it.

After it dries down, it's a different beast than smelled from the bottle. When freshly applied, it's a patchouli-bomb. Give it a bit, though, and it settles into a woody oiled-leather groove that lasts all day. Someone once described it after dry-down as smelling like a well-oiled baseball glove. Just be sparing with it, 'cause it will take over a room if you splash it on with the abandon of regular Clubman.

Top Bottom