What's new

Changing my look

I'm on StyleForum more than B&B these days. SF was difficult to get used to at first but I have to remind myself they remind me of catty women. Like anywhere else, lots of good and some rude people...B&B is the exception (lots of great people here), not the rule when it comes to online forums.

The more I think about it, the more I want the midnight blue suit. I think I'll be able to find an old tailor shop like that in St. Louis (I'm only about a half hour away) and I might go in this summer and get a shirt or two made and get some advice. I really like the classic, simple look (think of Barney Stinson's suits from How I Met Your Mother but not shiny and not quite as tight). When dressed down, some simple casual slacks and a nice shirt will do. I haven't even started thinking about hats yet, but they will certainly be a necessity.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I haven't even started thinking about hats yet, but they will certainly be a necessity.

proxy.php

Not quite that tall, please.

I have two bowlers (brown and gray) and one mixture of a fedora and a trilby in brown. That should do for a bit.

I too am trying to change my wardrobe up a little. I've caught myself going out wearing gym shorts one too many times. Your best friend however will be a nice tailor. Go around town and meet with a few and try and build up a little bond with them.

Here's a site I've found to be an interesting and valuable reference:

http://tsbmen.com

Some of the outfits are a bit outrageous, but mostly there's at least some part of the look that is worth stealing/modifying to suit your tastes

Not sure what your local tailors charge, but I bought a suit from www.lktailor.com and found them very reasonably priced for what I got. They travel to the US once or twice a year for fittings and bring samples of all their fabrics. I wound up needing the suit sooner than expected for an interview and they were extremely accommodating. From Hong Kong to my door in about 2 weeks.

I know that you are talking about spending nice money for nice things, but I was really really surprised at the selection of high-end clothing which I saw at Value Village today. I got this really nice lambs wool JCREW vest there for $6.99. Going to wear it for Valentines day dinner. Not sure with what yet though. Hopefully I have a bow tie to match.

$photo-22.JPG$photo-23.JPG

Also, for my wedding last summer I purchased a suit which fit me perfectly, and which just so happened to have been custom tailored for the Washington State governor! It was on sale, and I got it for $5.99!
$224794_4122675258358_335453875_n.jpg

Years ago I bought my first nice suit in the Los Angeles fashion district, midnight blue with heavy white stripes, it was a bit too big, got it tailored and still have it 10 years later. Haggled those guys down from $549 to $300 out the door. Los Angeles fashion district is an amazing place to be if you ever make it there.

Last edited:
I love to throw on some nice slacks and a matching vest sometimes just to go do some stuff. Nothing crazy. I will admit I like to get the 2 day beard every once in a while but it looks pretty good on me. Jeans and a t-shirt can be classy if you make it that way. I wear boots almost always (ariats) and they go with everything besides nice slacks (leather suade type thing) but I'm going to buy some nice shiny black ones very soon. Its just nice to look good. Wear nice belts. Thats another thing I've discovered. I used to think any belt will do. NO. I wear nice belts always now. Even if I'm slumming in a pair of nice jeans I will have a nice belt on. I try not to forget but sometimes if I'm untucked it happens.

Top Bottom