What's new

DIY pipe lighter

I have an imitation Zippo and got to thinking I might be able to drill thru the insert to make it a pipe lighter. Have you folks tried this? Does it work?

Oddly enough, I prefer a standard Zippo to the pipe version for lighting mine. Used to have the pipe insert but it never worked as well as the standard!

OK, I'm just odd!

Gareth

I'd been thinking of modifying a zippo to try. Hadn't actually tried using it as was.

I presume you use it in the same way as a pipe zippo - hold sideways and draw?

Thanks Gareth, good to know. I think I'll try it with the cheapo lighter I have instead of buying a pipe zippo.

I tilt the pipe and tilt the Zippo to match. Been using it that way for many years and never had a problem.

Gareth

If you send Zippo your case with a letter requesting a pipe-insert, they will buff said case, and return it with the requested insert (assuming, of course, it's not a knock-off, sorry OP). They also return the original insert, should you decide you don't like the pipe insert.
Check with your local B&M's too, see if anyone has a Thunderbird insert they will let you try out. Many folks complain about the off-putting flavour and aroma of Zippo fuel, the T-bird system is a butane insert that fits into a Zippo case.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There was a guy on YouTube that drilled his out. I think at worse the drill bit can hang up and mangle the chimney. I ended up dropping 15.99 or so for the pipe model.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you send Zippo your case with a letter requesting a pipe-insert, they will buff said case, and return it with the requested insert (assuming, of course, it's not a knock-off, sorry OP). They also return the original insert, should you decide you don't like the pipe insert.
Check with your local B&M's too, see if anyone has a Thunderbird insert they will let you try out. Many folks complain about the off-putting flavour and aroma of Zippo fuel, the T-bird system is a butane insert that fits into a Zippo case.
no kidding!? I see their pipe lighters with the insert are around $22. and they will give you an insert for free! I might have to jump on this.

is the "fuel smell" really prevalent when you use a zippo?

I used to always use a Zippo when I smoked Camels because it's always a pain to light a disposable when it's breezy.
I never noticed it... but one of the guys I worked with a couple of years ago would always comment the morning after I had refilled it.

Some people it really seems to bother, others don't notice it at all.
See if you can borrow a Zippo before you buy one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used to always use a Zippo when I smoked Camels because it's always a pain to light a disposable when it's breezy.
I never noticed it... but one of the guys I worked with a couple of years ago would always comment the morning after I had refilled it.

Some people it really seems to bother, others don't notice it at all.
See if you can borrow a Zippo before you buy one.
I have one engraved with my nickname that i bought many moons ago. I never smoked regularly I just think everyone should own a zippo. now that i'm getting in to pipes I was thinking the pipe insert would be an easy alternative to buying a pipe lighter. I have a torch lighter that i use for cigars but i heard that it burns to hot and could damage the pipe.

i'll just have to use the zippo and make my own call i reckon.

The newer Zippo fuel in the black can is a lot better than the old blue can or Ronson brand fuel, but there is a very mild undertone of naptha. It can be reduced by allowing your Zippo to burn for a few seconds before bringing it to your bowl, and even further by not allowing the flame to be drawn deep into the tobacco-chamber - it's kind of hard to explain, but if you draw the flame to around 1/4" above the leaf, it will catch.
You also have to watch that you don't overfill the lighter - that not only provides a huge kick of fuel flavour, but can cause a minor chemical burn on your leg.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The newer Zippo fuel in the black can is a lot better than the old blue can or Ronson brand fuel, but there is a very mild undertone of naptha. It can be reduced by allowing your Zippo to burn for a few seconds before bringing it to your bowl, and even further by not allowing the flame to be drawn deep into the tobacco-chamber - it's kind of hard to explain, but if you draw the flame to around 1/4" above the leaf, it will catch.
You also have to watch that you don't overfill the lighter - that not only provides a huge kick of fuel flavour, but can cause a minor chemical burn on your leg.
nice tips! thanks!

but can cause a minor chemical burn on your leg.

Solved that problem....

http://www.zippo.com/product.aspx?id=1024792

$1_1024792_FS.JPG

Available in brown and black, Zippo or Harley Davidson, clip or belt loop.

I went with a belt loop, but getting in and out of vehicles I've had it snag and pull open, so I glued the loop and have to feed my belt through it.
Rests nicely at 5-o'clock and no cherry after filling.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I prefer the more finished appearance of the zippo pipe insert. I just have one and rotate it and my thunderbird torch inserts amongst my various zippo cases.

Top Bottom