What's new

Van Der Hagen Deluxe + 1 tsp glycerin = ?

I've been using Van Der Hagen Deluxe (pink soap w/shea butter) since I started using soap and a boar brush last month. I was getting what I thought was pretty good lather. Then, I ran across a thread here on B&B that suggested that adding one teaspoon of glycerin to the Van Der Hagen Deluxe would put it on a par with the best shaving soaps out there.

So, I carefully melted a new cake of Van Der Hagen and carefully stirred in one teaspoon of glycerin and let it stand 'til I shaved the next morning. That was about a week ago. Here are my observations. The soap is now physically harder. Also, the addition of glycerin seems to detract from the lathering capability of the soap. Even after working more soap into the brush, the lather produced seems drier and not as lubricating as before. Adding a little more water to the lather just dissolves it.

Funny thing is that I've been getting some of the closest shaves during the past week. Maybe its due to the extra care I've been taking. One other thing I notice is that if I add a few drops of water to the sticky film the Van Der Hagen and glycerin leaves on my face, I get a very slick film that allows me to shave in any direction without irritation, for a short time.

I see very few posts about adding things to soaps. Perhaps it's not a good practice. Any comments?

-Clarke

I haven't added to them but I did make a Frankensoap the other day. I had pieces of pucks of VDH Deluxe, TGQ Highlander, & HB Coconut & I melted them all together in a Old Spice mug. Works like a charm. Slicker than owl snot.

hmm. I do something like that, only I add a few drops of vegetable glycerin to my brush after it's loaded with soap, then I build a lather on my face. that seems to work fairly well and I can attest to the slicker, denser lather. did you use a solid or liquid glycerine? (not sure whether that'd matter, though).

I've had real good results with the VDH soap by wetting it while I shower, then pouring the water out of the mug and dropping ~5 drops of glycerine on the soaked puck before building lather.

I've been using Van Der Hagen Deluxe (pink soap w/shea butter) since I started using soap and a boar brush last month. I was getting what I thought was pretty good lather. Then, I ran across a thread here on B&B that suggested that adding one teaspoon of glycerin to the Van Der Hagen Deluxe would put it on a par with the best shaving soaps out there.

Van der Hagen already adds glycerin. You would think if adding a bit more would turn it into a miraculous product, VdH would have figured this out. It's a fine glycerin-based soap as it stands.

I've never tried adding glycerine but then again I've always had good results from just using a boars hair brush on the Van Der Hagen. Soaking it in hot water while in the shower also softens it up nicely and produces a fantastic lather.

In my humble but correct opinion, VDH is the best deal out there.

Never had that problem here. I always found VDH to be a bit drying, but adding that glycerin completely fixed it. No problems lathering, no film, perfect shaves. Only thing that wasn't great was the scent but hey, what more can ya want for a buck.

Top Bottom