What's new

The Calligraphy Thread

I'm trying to learn Copperplate as I think it's one of the most handsome hands.
I haven't done any calligraphy for about 30 years. Man this is difficult!
Here's a sheet from my first day:

proxy.php

Any here's a practice sheet from today, mid way through my second week.
A long, long way to go!:blink:

proxy.php

Does anyone use Gillott 303 or 404 nibs? I have a pinch of each and can't even get a letter from them without catching paper or overflexing. I know someone has to use them or else they wouldn't be as highly recommended, I just started with a Nikko G and can't get into the the Gillott.

Free to a good home. :)

Does anyone use Gillott 303 or 404 nibs? I have a pinch of each and can't even get a letter from them without catching paper or overflexing. I know someone has to use them or else they wouldn't be as highly recommended, I just started with a Nikko G and can't get into the the Gillott.

Free to a good home. :)

I have a 404 and I agree it's sharp, and I decrease my nib angle quite a bit to "make it work", but never really get the results that I'd like. Super light touch is required here, and I'm quite ham handed, lol.

I just got a Pilot Parallel 1.5mm in the mail and this thing is awesome. It makes me want to go right out and order a "real" FP with an italic nib. The 1.5 is a little wider than I would want for an everyday writing pen but I think I could make do with the .8 to 1.1 range. I've been considering putting some time into learning a basic chancery alphabet and trying this Parallel, my first Italic style nib, has me excited.

Practice and stay with it. And if you go a few weeks or months without using it the first few letters or even pages may feel rusty or off. Just keep practicing!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419399078.956115.jpg

My wife asked me to do this for her Grandmother for Christmas. She also made a large quilt with her all of her late Grandfather's (pictured) old ties. Hence the "Love ties us together"

Thanks. I've taken it out of the frame to "touch it up" a bit. I'm not satisfied with it because the words "ties us" aren't straight, lol. Can't fix that though, but I can clean the lines up a bit

I tried to line the work area several times to keep the letters, ascenders and descenders straight....and it never looked right to me. So I just started practicing with no guide lines and this was about the 3rd try, I liked it and went with it. Hope her Grandmother likes it

Top Bottom