What's new

The Calligraphy Thread

$2013-01-20 13.45.01.jpg

Since there is a few of us getting into the wonderful world of calligraphy I thought it was time to start a thread for it.

A place to discuss techniques and hardware, and show off our trials and successes as we all learn this wonderful art form

and maybe bring in some members who are looking to get started

Please when posting pictures share what pens, nibs and inks you were using
and share a bit about what inspired you or what you are doing

Welcome to
The Calligraphy Thread

Attachments

• $2013-01-20 11.55.14.jpg
    $2013-01-20 11.55.14.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 861
Last edited:
Yeah... that was me having fun, regads wasnt the first time it happened,

Was kind of hoping it would go a little longer before anyone caught on lol, man ya'll are to fast,....

Last edited:
Good idea. I was trying out some blackletter variations yesterday and I have been practicing today as well so i will post some pictures in a bit.

Good idea James. Do you guys think it is easier with bigger nibs? With the stuff I tried last night with the Lamy 1.9 the nib seemed very stiff. Maybe I am just not used to using it like that.

I prefer the bigger nibs I think they are more forgiving, are you trying to flex the italic Dave?, I've never tried it before lol

seen this in my book, i played around with it a bit before but i like the nasty look of it, not sure i would ever do a christmas card with it, but its cool even so

$2013-01-20 18.17.48.jpg

this was the last time with the sheaffer 1.3 as that one is mailing out tomorrow with the little booklet thought i would show what it could do before I shipped it on out to KC

Last edited:
I played with the flex on the nib... its very stiff but does flex and add to the look a bit Dave but usually I just let the nib work as it is....

When do we get to see what you have tried so far Dave?

All I did so far was the Alphabet I showed last night. I have wanted to mess around more, but haven't been up to it today. I will though!
On the Lamy nib, it is pretty stiff, don't think it will flex at all.
What do you suggest for practice, doing the alphabet over and over, or just diving in?
I may check Michael's (craft store) tomorrow if I can to see what they have for calligraphy until I order the parallels from the Goulets if Michael's doesn't have them.

My michaels has the speedball and sheaffer stuff... and I dived right in to keep me interested

I don't think italics are meant to flex, you'll notice dip pen versions are just flat plates, the pointy calligraphy nibs on the other hand should I was looking at the speedball number 5 kit for myself as it had a good mix of nibs to play with

My michaels has the speedball and sheaffer stuff... and I dived right in to keep me interested

I don't think italics are meant to flex, you'll notice dip pen versions are just flat plates, the pointy calligraphy nibs on the other hand should I was looking at the speedball number 5 kit for myself as it had a good mix of nibs to play with

So would you recommend the speedball kit over the Sheaffer to start?

Speedball is a dip pen kit with more option... dip pens also have more capability since the ink loads across the whole nib rather then feed down the slit... I find I'm at my limits with my sheaffers now, and wish I would have went with the speedball to start myself

anytime Dave, Im still considering getting them, so if you do pick them up please share i would be interested in seeing what you can do with them

I actually bought some nibs but still dont have a nib holder, although im looking for an oblique one to try at copperplate and spencerian, but Im not sure ill need the number five kit once i get that and the pilots

In the meantime im more then happy to help spend other peoples money for now lol

Part of what i had in mind with the thread were some fun game we could play that could help us all learn along together, the best part is it can help both new and those of us with a little more time under the belt get to know some new techniques

I was in may car at a red light when this thing pulled up beside me, i giggled and snapped a pic when i saw it and thought I wonder if i could copy the goth script part, so anyone else want to try with me, Ill give everyone a few days to practice and see if they can figure it out, then when you think you got it post up your results and lets see what we all came out with

"Abbey
Pressure Cleaning Inc."

$2013-01-12 14.28.09.jpg

heres a closer look
$truck.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give it a try. I'm not going to have much time to practice, but why not give it a shot.

Are we just copying the picture or trying to figure out the alphabet?

just the abbey pressure cleaning inc part, since we dont have a complete alphabet, but its never a bad idea to try for more

best part is, this kind of thing will help you find the core of the strokes involved, then help push you a little bit into breaking the laws a wee bit to help you progress, i choose this one to start because its just that, basic 45 degree strokes, with just a little bit extra, you will have to play around a little bit to figure them out but it shouldnt be to hard at all

Top Bottom