• Slates

• Other natural

• Lapping Film

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So what do you use most now?
Assume the bevel doesn't need resetting.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I also realize there is a "rock du jour"...but leaving this open indefinitely might keep things honest.

Coticule for everything after the bevel. I love the edges and they are great to just look at.

...Ray

After bevel set I use a coticule most times. If it's a wedge I go with lapping films, they're faster and put a nice edge on the razor. Sometimes I still finish off with a coticule afterwards.

You know I never hear about the Shapton glass anymore. I wonder if they are still popular on other forums?

See above, "Rock du jour"

Looks like WCS has discontinued the line... They still offer a 3k for $72. It was in their clearance section for months, but that's the only grit left.
I was looking at them on SRD last June and stock was very spotty, but it was the cost that kept me away from them.

I think people realized that a pasted paddle or balsa block is just as effective as a $300 Shapton and there's simply no point in going higher than the 15k range on the hones. Heck, people get decent shaves off of 8k stones every day.

Love my Shaptons. I won't make blanket statements for other synthetics that I haven't used but I get very effective and quick results from them.

Top Bottom