• Japanese Naturals

• Coticule

• Thuri

• Arkie

• Slates

• Other natural

• Lapping Film

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I had answered a month ago it would have been Lapping film, now I am getting much better with the coticules.

Well, it's confirmed. Both my Norton 220/1k and 4k/8k are on their way. What is the general consensus around here as the best finishing stone? Should I stop at the 8k & switch to my balsa with Chromium Oxide or should would a coticule be a better choice?

Well, it's confirmed. Both my Norton 220/1k and 4k/8k are on their way. What is the general consensus around here as the best finishing stone? Should I stop at the 8k & switch to my balsa with Chromium Oxide or should would a coticule be a better choice?

Well I no longer have my Norton 4/8 (sold it), but I can tell you that you should be able to get a really good shave off of just the 8k. Anything above that is up for debate, as different people prefer different finishers. I personally prefer to finish my razors on a coticule, but you may find that you like something else (c12k, Naniwa 12k, etc...).

I typically will use Crox (just a few laps) when my razor starts to pull a bit, but not for finishing. People do though, so it's totally up to you. Like I said, coticule edges seem to be the smoothest, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure you will get many other suggestions here :thumbup1:

If I do go the coti route as a finisher after the 8k, would a slurry be used or just water?

Depends on the Coticule. They vary a LOT as far as how fast/slow they are, and different cotis "finish" differently. If you're using it solely as a finisher you could do what I do, which is to wet the stone, then rub your slurry stone ONCE over the coticule. This makes what's called a "misty slurry"; barely noticable.
Then from there, you could do 30ish x-strokes, rinse the stone, then do 30 more on just water.

This is just what works for me though, and is just one of MANY finishing procedures. In fact, this is not guaranteed to give you good results because what works on my stone may not work on yours. There are many other options as well (using oil, Unicot procedure, etc...) so you just have to explore & see what works for you and your stone.

Don't be afraid to ask questions though; we all had to start somewhere!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. One last question: What is your opinion of the Belgian Blue coticules as finishers?

I think a light slurry on the coticule is needed for all but the final finishing strokes (then water or even Baby oil with very light strokes). I use the BBW side (with slurry) for a "progession" between something like your 8K to the yellow coticule side. I am not sure it does very much, but it is there so must be used!

I found the perfect explanation to my own question here. I just thought I'd share it with you.

Yeah, I read that whole site cover-to-cover when I was learning. (still read it all the time)..It's like the holy grail of Coticule information!! :thumbup1:

Kent, I actually already know how good JNAT edges are. I got a couple of razors with JNAT finish from the JNAT Master... Alfredo (Doc226) of course. Anyway, there's something "special" in Coticules that I seem difficult to explain. They just seem right, exactly what I want.

They're also addictive. :thumbup:

i use arki's, coti's , c12k's, barber hones and slates. i just like to use them all. but my keenest edges come from my translucent arki. but i do use edges from them all. the one finisher i use most is a toss-up between my arki and c12k.

You guys have sold me on giving the coti another go. I've contacted BakerAndBadger and we've come to an agreement on this stone in the hobbyist forum. He's even setting me up with a slurry stone. Great guy!

View attachment 302424

You guys have sold me on giving the coti another go. I've contacted BakerAndBadger and we've come to an agreement on this stone in the hobbyist forum. He's even setting me up with a slurry stone. Great guy!

Well Done! Beautiful stone, great size. I have a coti that's roughly the same size and for that type of real estate, I just use half-strokes, even on the final finishing laps. Circles are another thing to consider...

View attachment 302424

Excellent! I think you'll enjoy the size. I too have a similar sized La Dressante that I hold in my hand, and circles/half-strokes seem to work the best on a stone of this size.

Here's a pic of mine, which ois a similar size:

$20121213_091502.jpg

I try to mix time between my coticules and jnats. I'd say I'm about 50/50 depending on mood and razor I'm using.

I've got a coti, barbers hone, and a full Naniwa progression - 1k, 5k, 8k, and 12k. I tend to use the Naniwa set more than anything else, but that is usually because I'm setting a bevel on a new razor. Been using the coti for some touch-up work, but haven't had to do much of that yet.

Well does a Columbian use coke? Being in Belgium I use the local drug..... Cotis!!!! Dropped a few notes on what's supposed to be a thuri and also welsh slates but I always come back to my smooth and forgiving edges. That said my JNATs arrive in 3 weeks so I'll see what happens.

Top Bottom