What's new

Sharpening Kitchen Knives?

I have had a set of Globals for six or seven years now. They have seen nothing but a steel and one run on the Global wet stone gadget (not impressed.) I'd like to get them bad to their wicked sharp selves. Can anyone recommend good resources for sharpening kitchen knives, especially Globals. I'm considering sending them out as well as DIY.

I have had a set of Globals for six or seven years now. They have seen nothing but a steel and one run on the Global wet stone gadget (not impressed.) I'd like to get them bad to their wicked sharp selves. Can anyone recommend good resources for sharpening kitchen knives, especially Globals. I'm considering sending them out as well as DIY.

Spyderco Sharpmaker. If the knives are in really bad shape, you may need to get the diamond rods as well (an add on for the kit) which remove a lot of stock/metal in a short period of time. The spyderco system is INCREDIBLY easy to use (dare I say brain-dead easy) AND comes with an instructional video to boot - so no excuses for not getting things right. :wink:

This is my "go-to" system for most of my kitchen knives, pocket knives, etc - and works fantastically well, and once again - it exceptionally easy to use. For REALLY expensive/high end knives I use Shapton stones - however with everyday knives, (Wustoff, Global, Henckels, etc) for most people it's overkill.

The Spyderco system is inexpensive, HIGHLY versatile and famously easy to use.... what more could you ask for?

+1 on spyderco sharpening system.

I was werry about buying it at first, but have long forgone that. The only thing that I dont like about it is that the base is made out of plastic, and after about 5 years of using it, the rods dont hold true as much anymore at the base. But, if you plan on just using then for yuor kitchen knives, then you wont have to worry about it. Mines only like this after I've done my whole comapny's knife collection numberous times.

For quick metal grinding, I just use my grinder :biggrin:

I use a Gatco sharpening system for all of my kitchen, sporting and utility cutlery. It works very well, and maintains a consistent angle on your blades, which I seem to be deficient at without a device.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I arrived at this site via the knife world, and I find the two pursuits to be analagous. Honing a razor or sharpening a knife are skills that are part science, part magic, and part luck. Ultimately, you are responsible for the edge that you put to your face or to your food. With shaving, at least you have the option of buying disposable blades, but with knives you're on your own. Sending them out to be sharpened is not a very good option, unless you have a sufficient supply of blades to keep you going through the turnaround period, as many restaurants do. You can always do what most people do- live with woefully inadequate knives, or pretend that you're sharpening them with a steel.

The truth is simple, but perhaps not what you'd like to hear: learning to sharpen your knife is as important as learning to use it. No way around it. Now, you may either consider that to be a chore, or a pleasure- same as shaving.

I have a set of the Globals and use a fine diamond impregnated steel often. I used the global "water stone" that does look like a gadget and it worked great for me.
Try it again, and be sure to follow the instructions (which goes against every fiber of a guy's being :)
Good Luck, Ken.

I arrived at this site via the knife world, and I find the two pursuits to be analagous. Honing a razor or sharpening a knife are skills that are part science, part magic, and part luck. Ultimately, you are responsible for the edge that you put to your face or to your food. With shaving, at least you have the option of buying disposable blades, but with knives you're on your own. Sending them out to be sharpened is not a very good option, unless you have a sufficient supply of blades to keep you going through the turnaround period, as many restaurants do. You can always do what most people do- live with woefully inadequate knives, or pretend that you're sharpening them with a steel.

The truth is simple, but perhaps not what you'd like to hear: learning to sharpen your knife is as important as learning to use it. No way around it. Now, you may either consider that to be a chore, or a pleasure- same as shaving.
I went the opposite way - B&B to a wall full of Japanese kitchen knives, plus a few waterstones. I'll agree with Jay that if you use your knives a lot, it is worth the effort to learn to sharpen them properly. Otherwise, send them out .

Being a free-hand sharpening newbie, I think I have dulled my knives more than sharpened them at this point, but I am having lots of fun doing it. Once I get the hang of it, it will be a great feeling of accomplishment. Actually, I find sharpening to be like wet shaving in that it is a zen time that you can enjoy.

I use a large range of Global knives.
The angle of the blade edge is different from conventional blades. Global does sell blade guides to use with sharpening stones to keep their angle intact.

If you use a non-Global sharpener that guides the blade and puts/retains the "standard" angle on the blade, it may affect the quality of the Global edge.

+1 on Dave and D&R. Also, I recommend using stones as opposed to shaving systems. Knifes with harder steels (global and japanese made knifes) do not do well with steels and some of the "systems". It takes a while to master, but whetstones give a FAR superior edge.

Check out the kitchen knife section at knifeforums.com for threads and threads information. People there love there knifes as much as we love our razors. (and poor me loves both sharp things.... ;-) In fact I think there is a large intersection between the two groups.

Japanese knives typically use a 15 degree angle, rather than the western 20 degree.

Global makes a sharpener for Japanese knives:
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1198962536&sr=8-1

There is also this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Asian-Edge-Sharpener-red/dp/B000QYBCV6/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b

This one is specifically for Global knives:
http://www.amazon.com/Minosharp-Cer...G/ref=pd_sbs_hg?ie=UTF8&qid=1198962939&sr=1-2

I have and like the Furi knife sharpener as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-O...KC/ref=pd_sbs_k?ie=UTF8&qid=1198962778&sr=1-1

Roger

Like OUCH, I arrived here after several years over at Bladeforums.com where I became anal about keeping knives sharp. The key to me is getting a great edge on the knife, then maintaining that edge through handwashing, steeling and probably forbidding the wife to ever touch them. Wives have this genetic tendency to see kitchen cutlery in the same light as a Leatherman or something from the tool bin at Depot. :eek:

I personally use an Edge Pro but I seldom need to use it. Edge Pro also offers a Ceramic steel which is a very easy and quick way to put a razor edge back on a SHARP knife.

The Sharpmaker is probably the easiest but as OUCH pointed out, you may need to purchase the diamond rods (triangles) if your knives are really dull. Without them, you'll be on the Sharpmaker for days trying to create a burr; the first step in creating a really sharp knife.

Here is a great treatise on the whole science of sharpening. It may take a couple of beers or wines, or whatever poisons to get through, but it is worth the effort. HERE

It may take a couple of beers or wines, or whatever poisons to get through, but it is worth the effort. HERE

Well, with an endorsement like that, I'm in!

In all seriousness, this is a great site for working with sharpening aids and getting an idea of what you're in for. It's definitely got legs and it gets referred to all the time here and at various knife forums. It does tend to get into the nitty-gritty (literally), but it's a solid jumping off point.

One thing that I think its lacking in is free-hand sharpening techniques. I found this link and found the demonstration simple and un-intimidating. While it doesn't get into the grits/bevels/tools tons, I love the simplicity.:001_tt1:

EDIT: I did fail to mention one thing...the guy in the video does talk a little like a robot and he's clearly reading cue cards, BUT, it doesn't require the beer or wine unless you're so inclined.

Send em out says I.... Home made sharpeners make it almost impossible to do the final polish which fully sets the edge. Get them sharpened by a professional once a year and hone them each time before use and they will serve you well indeed.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's good enough for me. I'm throwing out my sharpening kit and sending my knives out to Alton Brown. :tongue_sm

full

One more thing- I think Global should buy Anthony Boudain a new car. He's done more to sell their knives than anyone else. (Pretty good knives, too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom