Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Portable Induction Cooktop, like Nuwave

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,186
    Images
    1

    Default Portable Induction Cooktop, like Nuwave

    Does anyone have any experience with portable induction cook tops, like the infomercial branded Nuwave PIC? I'm very skeptical of the high price shipping charges associated with the Nuwave products.

    I'm asking because my brother-in-law just told my wife about it this morning and thought we might like one for our unfinished kitchen (in a stalled phase of home remodeling at the moment). So what are your thoughts? I like the idea, but perhaps there is a better brand that does the same thing.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    19,332
    Images
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with portable induction cook tops, like the infomercial branded Nuwave PIC? I'm very skeptical of the high price shipping charges associated with the Nuwave products.

    I'm asking because my brother-in-law just told my wife about it this morning and thought we might like one for our unfinished kitchen (in a stalled phase of home remodeling at the moment). So what are your thoughts? I like the idea, but perhaps there is a better brand that does the same thing.
    When we were remodeling I used a microwave and a Colman propane camp stove. This worked fine for about 11 months without a kitchen.
    Mick (insert witty comment here) - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,186
    Images
    1
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    When we were remodeling I used a microwave and a Colman propane camp stove. This worked fine for about 11 months without a kitchen.
    So you know my pain then. We are trying to live completely debt free, so the kitchen is waiting for funding to do it right the first time.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    I have no experience with the NuWave PIC, but I'm not a fan of most "As seen on TV" gadgets. Although this one intrigues me, I have been put off by the total cost of ownership. Most such items are gadgets of limited use and quality.

    My suggestion would be to buy a dual burner electric hot plate for $30-$50. It will continue to have a life after remodeling as there are always those few times a year when you need one more burner than you currently have.

    The camp stove is another excellent suggestion. Even if you aren't into camping, having some alternate means of cooking is always a good idea, just in case of a power outage or other emergency situation.
    Last edited by PugslyCat; 01-22-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spell check...always spell check before posting...
    ~Paul

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,626
    Images
    1

    Default

    induction burners are great if you have the cookware to cook in them. Use them for exhibition cooking events where you can't have flames. Work fine. I don't know how much ours cost or what brand. They are also nearly six years old or older.
    John/ Chef
    Came for the razors, stayed for the pens.
    Find me in the Nib!

  6. #6

    Default

    I use an induction burner in conjunction with my stove top. To be honest I tend to use it more than any burner as it heats up the quickest and is the most energy efficient. I have all stainless steel and cast iron which is a requirement as non-ferrous cookware does not work. It's also tricky to get used to as the heat tends to pulse more than a halogen or ceramic cooktop does.

    I dont remember the brand I use though. sorry.

  7. #7

    Default

    My sis had the single burner induction cooktop in her kitchen for about 2 years in her efficiency. She never had any problems with it, and it did boil water in about half the time as a gas cooktop. I'm sure you knew the downside of having to switch over all of your current pans to copper bottom ones to get it to work.

    I too had to do the microwave/camping stove thing in the final phase of my house build when my lease ran up in our apartment. From seeing both I would go with the camp stove method for 3 reasons.
    1. Because one burner is not enough when cooking
    2. Because it is much cheaper (and with remodeling you almost always go over budget)
    3. Because you can keep all of your current pans

    hope this helps!
    I could probably load Tabac on a Q-tip and still get a decent lather

  8. #8

    Default

    Oh yeah, I'm a cast iron fan as well
    I could probably load Tabac on a Q-tip and still get a decent lather

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    36,819

    Default

    I don't have a portable induction cooktop but have an induction stove. I got to say, I love it. The only minus is to make sure that you got pots and pans that are induction compatible. If you cannot stick a magnet on them, it won't work. Other than that, I often have water spilling because it boils so fast!
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,186
    Images
    1
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will be installing our new kitchen next weekend, so no need for the portable any more.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts
    24,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fchan View Post
    I use an induction burner in conjunction with my stove top. To be honest I tend to use it more than any burner as it heats up the quickest and is the most energy efficient. I have all stainless steel and cast iron which is a requirement as non-ferrous cookware does not work. It's also tricky to get used to as the heat tends to pulse more than a halogen or ceramic cooktop does.

    I dont remember the brand I use though. sorry.
    What do you mean that the heat "pulses more"?
    Matthew | QueenCharlotteSoaps.com - Handmade hand & body soap, shampoo bars, tallow shaving cream and soap, aftershave balm, and much more

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    7,580

    Default

    Subbed.

    SWMBO has been bugging me for a glass cooktop, and our oven just died.

    It's efficient, but is it cheaper than gas?
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    19,332
    Images
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will be installing our new kitchen next weekend, so no need for the portable any more.
    sounds great. Nothing like finishing a long running project. Ours started as a BIG hole in the ground and took a very long time to finish.
    Mick (insert witty comment here) - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,186
    Images
    1
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    sounds great. Nothing like finishing a long running project. Ours started as a BIG hole in the ground and took a very long time to finish.
    Here's my new take on home renovation.

    Week one: Tear out all the walls, and plumbing.

    Week two thru week 247: Put it back together.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    19,332
    Images
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    Here's my new take on home renovation.

    Week one: Tear out all the walls, and plumbing.

    Week two thru week 247: Put it back together.
    well... Our kitchen Reno started out this way It went down hill from there....

    Mick (insert witty comment here) - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,186
    Images
    1
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    well... Our kitchen Reno started out this way It went down hill from there....

    Hi Karumba!
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    19,332
    Images
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    Hi Karumba!
    If your wife complains about your kitchen reno you can always show her this picture of the start of our reno project

    Demoed the house down to 2 free standing structures, dug a basement which has an outside accessible bathroom. Kitchen and dining room with a 2 car garage on the main floor. Above that is my shave cathedral and a dressing area with 2 walk in closets and another room that we don't know what to do with (over the 2 car garage) so it is just storage for now.

    All told it was about 14 months of construction. We were VERY glad when it was over.
    Mick (insert witty comment here) - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,912
    Images
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJohnBoy-ardee View Post
    induction burners are great if you have the cookware to cook in them. Use them for exhibition cooking events where you can't have flames. Work fine. I don't know how much ours cost or what brand. They are also nearly six years old or older.
    I'm assuming that you use these in a restaurant setting? Are yours 120v or 220v? I've used commercial grade 220v induction burners and they are really nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty1 View Post
    My sis had the single burner induction cooktop in her kitchen for about 2 years in her efficiency. She never had any problems with it, and it did boil water in about half the time as a gas cooktop. I'm sure you knew the downside of having to switch over all of your current pans to copper bottom ones to get it to work.

    I too had to do the microwave/camping stove thing in the final phase of my house build when my lease ran up in our apartment. From seeing both I would go with the camp stove method for 3 reasons.
    1. Because one burner is not enough when cooking
    2. Because it is much cheaper (and with remodeling you almost always go over budget)
    3. Because you can keep all of your current pans

    hope this helps!
    You don't need cooper bottomed pans to use an induction cook top, in fact cooper doesn't work with an induction cook top.

    From an article on cooksillustrated.com,

    Don’t even think about aluminum, copper, or Pyrex—and you can only use nonstick pans that contain iron material. (To find out if a pan functions on induction, try attaching a magnet.)
    Shawn

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    7,580

    Default

    Catch-22.

    I was watching a "How it's Made" show a couple of weeks ago and they were doing potware.

    The extremely high end pots are a copper core for heat transfer inside a (ferrous) stainless outer shell for compatibility with the induction systems.
    The "finishing touch" was a shallow groove turned high on the side of the pot to reveal the copper core.

    Non-ferrous metals will work, but not efficiently. There are videos of home-made induction coils melting copper slugs and pipe in a clay crucible, but it takes time.

    Low conductance heats better.
    Ferrous more efficiently directs and contains the magnetic field.

    Unfortunately, low conductance also means poor heat transfer, which leads to hot spots.
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,131
    Images
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
    Subbed.

    SWMBO has been bugging me for a glass cooktop, and our oven just died.

    It's efficient, but is it cheaper than gas?
    Hi Rich. I have one of the glass cook top ranges. A Samsung(yeah, I didn't know they made appliances either) we purchased 2-3 years ago. Speaking strictly to electric range tops I can say this. Open coil vs glass top; No comparison. Buy a glass top. They put all their research into these. The glass holds and distributes heat better than an open coil so in my opinion is more efficient in the sense it likely has to be on less to make the same cooking heat. IE; it cycles less which uses less wattage.

    Electric vs gas. In my opinion, unless you are living in some oddball area natural gas is MUCH cheaper to operate than electric. I do notice an uptick in our electric bill at Christmastide when all the baking is going on. There are also other advantages to a gas range top. When you adjust the flame lower it lowers the heat instantly. With electric ranges, to include our glass top, you have to be much quicker on the trigger or you can overcook items. Many times when making things like curds, jams, custards, or other temperature dependent dishes you learn to perfect the remove-from-burner-quickly-so-you-don't-burn-it method of lowering temps. It is pita at times. I VASTLY prefer cooking on a gas range top. It is not an option in our home since the kitchen does not have a gas outlet in it. Conversely if you do not already have an electric outlet in our kitchen then you will have that expense as well. Most importantly, go with what the main cook wants. It makes for happier meals.


    Cheers, Todd

Similar Threads

  1. The portable Den
    By M80 in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  2. Portable Induction Cook Top?
    By StillShaving in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 09:21 PM
  3. Smooth cooktop vs. coil cooktop range
    By oldblue in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
  4. Freestanding Cooktop/Oven
    By pauls51 in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 05:12 AM
  5. End of the portable PC?
    By blantyre in forum The Speakeasy
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.