What's new

Travel Tales PIF

I'm in.

Really nice PIF. I can't say I've travelled all that much, so I don't have great stories like some other people here. But, I did have the privilege of going to Paris many years ago. My travelling companion and I found a quaint little restaurant, a bistro. Nice place. Customers were seated very close to each other, in a very intimate and casual fashion. The two of us sat down; we were seated at a table for four, actually. At least, the place was so tight and tables so packed together that it was akin to a table for four. When we sat down, two people were already there with their dinner in progress. Those two people were comedian Steve Martin and his wife. He could not have been more gracious.

You still have some time to enter! This PIF will close Friday noon (central time) and the winner will be posted shortly after that.

A few years back I decided to do the stereotypical trip of backpacking across various parts of Europe. Each day I'd show up at the train station of whatever country I was in and look at the board and see what country sounded interesting.

It was time to check out Paris, but funds were crazy low. I had been surviving on a diet that almost solely consisted of beer and croissants because they were the cheapest things to eat and drink. Because funds were low I checked into a internet cafe and looked at hostel prices for Paris. I was shocked to see that it wasn't as bad as I thought, so I reserved a bed at one that was within my poor man's budget.

3 Ducks Hostel it was.

When I checked in they were booked up solid, but had a bed reserved for me. The lady looks at her screen and then looks at me a bit concerned and says, "All we have are Co-ed rooms, is that ok?" I had been in co-ed rooms in Germany and had no problem with them. Usually 10-15 beds per room and you just had to tune out the sex noises every so often. No big deal.

I go up a set of tiny stairs to my room and find that it's actually quite small. There are two sets of bunk beds and that was about it. Very cramped, but pretty comfortable for a hostel.

I left my gear and went for a beer, and then headed back to my room. I slid the key in and opened the door and came face to face with three hot women wearing only their underwear because they were all changing to go to a bar in a bit. I'd later find out it was an Australian girl, a Kiwi, and a German.

There was an initial squeal of a group of half-nude women wondering what a strange man was doing barging in on them. Apparently they all thought they had a women's only dorm so they never worried about privacy. I averted my eyes and offered to ask if I could be put in another room. That's when they all laughed in unison and said that it wasn't a big deal at all. The Australian girl said, "If you don't mind sharing a room with 3 women in their underwear, we don't mind you."

I unconsciously muttered the following words aloud:

"Dear Penthouse, you'll never believe what happened to me..."

They all laughed again and invited me to the bar with them.

I will always love Paris.

Well I could tell you one of my fantastic stories of travel and adventure but sadly none of them include shaving. So what I will do is tell you my plan for when I fly to Kamloops next week to see friends then go skiing with my family. I set out on Feb 18th, and my buddy will pick me up, we are going to share a hotel room since he is also from out of town but his work has a deal with Best Western. I'll be sorely tempted to shave before my flight but I will hold of, you may be saying Justin you love shaving why would you hold off? Well my friends I will tell you, my friend is on the cusp of wet shaving, he just needs to know how awesome it is first hand. So when we get to the hotel I'll tell him that I need a shower and a shave... after which I will go on and on about how fantastic my shave was. Enough to convince him he should give it a shot. So I will tell him how it all works and let him get to work. Boom new convert to our side and beers and delicious food! Next day I'm planning going to some second hand stores to see if I could find some old razors, pens, and estate pipes. Then more beer and food! Day Three I recover from a hangover and wait for my folks and uncle to come to Kamloops to take me up to Sunpeaks. From there I go on and on about how amazing my shave is with my razor, and convince my dad and uncle to try it out. Then I ski until I fly back on Sunday. If everything works out I should have three new converts to wet shaving. Maybe a new pipe smoker or two... All in all I predict a good trip out of the flat lands and in good company!

Cheers,

PS Very interesting PIF and I like what you are giving away since most of it I have never tried!

PM sent.

Thanks Joamo. I will be travelling to see family next weekend. This is perfect timing.

This'll be part of my travel kit. It'll be my first time trying Arko. I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Congrats KindestCut, and great PIF Joamo! KindestCut, you'll love ARKO, it's a great-performing soap. For the money, there's none better.

Top Bottom