What's new

Next Concealed Carry Weapon Purchase

Which weapon should I purchase?

• Smith and Wesson M&P Shield

• Springfield Armory XD-S

• Neither/another suggestion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Walther PPS in 9mm. It's as thin as you'll find. Makes for a comfortable carry. And more accurate than its small size would suggest.

Rafael... if you're going to post a poll with "other" as one of the options, you are going to get the entire inventory listing of Davidson's :biggrin:

Of course, you left the door wide open saying that caliber is not a big deal, but it would be helpful if you could indicate a few things to help us avoid just giving you "my favorite"

Price range
Thickness (single/double stack)
Preferred caliber
Semi-auto or revolver (I'm assuming you prefer SA, but there are some great CC pieces if you are comfortable with only 5 rounds).

Unless we know what to shoot for, you're going to get 40 different gun recommendations from 30 people :wink:

Personally, I like the G26, in your poll I voted for the XD, but I have no experience with the Shield.

+1 on the 442. I forgot to mention when I'm not carrying my Bodyguard in .380 I carry my S&W 642 (same as 442 except in stainless). If I could only have one gun, it would be the 642. If you are looking for something different, then take a look at any of the snub nose J frame Wessons. The only reason I usually carry the Bodyguard is because its lighter and thinner so easier to carry. But, you cant beat the reliability of a revolver, no safety, no slide, no worrying if you've got one in the chamber; pull the trigger and bang every time. .38 special round isn't too bad either.

I always liked the look and feel of the Bodyguard 380. It might be a consideration if nothing else materializes.

Rafael... if you're going to post a poll with "other" as one of the options, you are going to get the entire inventory listing of Davidson's :biggrin:

Of course, you left the door wide open saying that caliber is not a big deal, but it would be helpful if you could indicate a few things to help us avoid just giving you "my favorite"

Price range
Thickness (single/double stack)
Preferred caliber
Semi-auto or revolver (I'm assuming you prefer SA, but there are some great CC pieces if you are comfortable with only 5 rounds).

Unless we know what to shoot for, you're going to get 40 different gun recommendations from 30 people :wink:

Personally, I like the G26, in your poll I voted for the XD, but I have no experience with the Shield.

Rich,

You're right! I should have been more specific. I actually shot the Springfield XDS, the S&W Shield 40, and the Ruger LC9 today. Was not impressed by any of them. After selling my beloved Ruger LCP, I realized that I really do need portability and love the dimensions of the LCP. So basically I'm looking for something in similar dimensions. Now, being the nerd that I am, I've created a spreadsheet comparison with size being the first hurdle to jump.

After all this, I am considering a Kahr PM9 with tritium Night Sights. I haven't shot it, but it meets the concealable size that I'm looking for and shoots a higher caliber than the .380. When I shot the Ruger today, I was reminded why I don't like DAO weapons with a long trigger pull. I was also shooting my S&W M&P 40c and just love the trigger on it. The trigger on the XDS was my next favorite. Don't get me wrong...all of the guns I fired today were excellent and would hold a place in my collection (if funding allowed), but they didn't meet the size requirement, which is basically something that can easily fit in my pocket. I normally carry my M&P 40c in the winter, but the lightweight of the LCP made it a darling in my mind.

The three pistols shot today were all about the same size as my M&P 40c, so they were discarded from consideration. I am looking for under 6" overall length, and under 5" height. I am discarding the .45 ACP caliber because I want more rounds available. So 9mm and .40S&W are in the running. I would favor the 9mm due to the pricing of ammo, but wouldn't mind the .40S&W because it would then allow me to consolidate calibers.

Thanks for everyone's assistance, thoughts, and opinions, I truly appreciate hearing from fellow gun enthusiasts.

Rich,

I'm not authorized the revolver for concealed carry, only my SA for now (I will once I renew my permit). I did look at the Glock G26, but it is a larger gun than I am looking for.

Don't overlook the Ruger LC9.
Reviews are mixed, as it is DAO and as such has a long pull, OTOH, that might be safer for CC as it would be less likely to be acci... negligently discharged by a nervous hand in a bad situation.

But given the size constraints, I too would be looking more toward the Kahr.

I've fired a M&P a couple of times and I just don't like the trigger pull. The Springfield XD-S is great quality gun and if I had to go with a striker fired pistol, that would definitely be the one I'd choose.

If you are comfortable with DA/SA hammer fired..check out the offerings from FN Herstal, that is what my main handgun is and I absolutely love it.

Yeah, none of my handguns have had manual safeties, so I don't much like the idea of having to fiddle with it in a situation. I am looking at either the Kahr PM40 or the Kahr CM40.

I've been eyeing the Sig sauer P290 lately

From the specs you are wanting. I think it may be worth looking at

FEATURES
- Lightweight sub-compact
- Available in 9mm
- Optional integrated laser
- DAO Trigger
- Removable grip plates
- 9mm

Action Type DAO

Trigger Pull DAO 9.0 lb Average

Overall Length 5.5 in

Overall Height 3.9 in

Overall Width 0.9 (1.1 in with slide catch lever)

Barrel Length 2.9 in

Sight Radius 4.3 in

Weight w/Mag 20.5 oz

Mag Capacity 6 Rounds

Here is a review if interested

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/winning-handful-sig-sauer-p290-review/

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide to get.

Gents, thanks for the assistance and help. In the end I went with a Kahr PM40 with night sights. I got a good deal from a LEO/MIL supplier.

Top Bottom