What's new

Next Concealed Carry Weapon Purchase

Which weapon should I purchase?

• Smith and Wesson M&P Shield

• Springfield Armory XD-S

• Neither/another suggestion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I'm looking at purchasing my newest concealed carry weapon and am debating between the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield (in either 9mm or .40S&W) or the Springfield Armory XD-S (in .45). Which do you guys recommend, or do you recommend another?

The calibers in my collecton are either the .380 or .40S&W, so I don't have a 9mm or a .45. My daily carry is a Ruger LCP .380 (majority of the time) or if strikes my fancy, my Smith and Wesson M&P 40c. I am not terribly concerned with caliber consolidation.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations and thoughts!

M&P Shield...through good timing, both my son-in-law and I were able to snag one. Both in 9mm. Knowing that most of us make some compromises when it comes to a carry weapon, I think for me the Shield is the best choice for size, weight, caliber, capacity and recoil.

Id probably go with the Shield. I like the XD-S but would rather have it as a 9mm and not a .45. I heard that Springfield will release new XD-S's in .40 and 9mm sometime in the near future.

The shield 40 is my primary now. Sometimes, I forget it is there. Light, comfortable, and a good shooter. I lucked up a couple weeks ago and found one at my local gun shop.

What niche are you looking for this gun to fill?

I see that you have a Ruger LCP. Are you looking for something of a larger caliber?

How do you plan on carrying this one? Pocket, IWB, OWB etc?

Might be able to guide a little better with some more info about your intended use.

Id probably go with the Shield. I like the XD-S but would rather have it as a 9mm and not a .45. I heard that Springfield will release new XD-S's in .40 and 9mm sometime in the near future.

This is true. I was at the SHOT Show here and that was the official news. I think they had one on display, but I didn't get a chance to see it.

What niche are you looking for this gun to fill?

I see that you have a Ruger LCP. Are you looking for something of a larger caliber?

How do you plan on carrying this one? Pocket, IWB, OWB etc?

Might be able to guide a little better with some more info about your intended use.

I appreciate the help and suggestion. I am looking for a slightly larger caliber and since I have some extra money, why not?! :) I wanted to carry both pocket and IWB, but I understand that with the larger caliber it might not be possible to do pocket carry. Thanks!

Between the two, I vote the Shield. Ironically, I got to play with one today in 9mm. Not too bad at all.

For me personally, I prefer to carry .380 for concealed carry purposes. Its just more comfortable for my required dress. But if you're looking for a 9mm or just want a new gun (I myself am guilty as charged here) then my vote goes for the Shield. Might pick one up myself, just because.

BTW, I have never shot the Springfield so keep that in mind.

My vote would be for a Glock 27. I just don't have any confidence in the XD's and I prefer the Glock slightly to the S&W.

I haven't shot the Shield, but I did shoot the XDS today. Nice trigger, good feel, great sights, but very jumpy. If I took my time, I could get my shots right on, but if I was trying to fire quickly, my follow-up shots were all over the place. I'm sure it is controllable, it just might take some practice. That is a pretty powerful round in such a small, light, gun.

I have a S&W Shield, nice enough I suppose but both my S&W 442 and Beretta Nano are far and away better all-day carry weapons. Added advantage is the Nano still for some reason isn't as hard to find and is priced more reasonably than the Shield. The 442 is also a bit tricky to find, but is the kind of all-purpose gun that of the whole lot to me sits on top of the heap

I have a S&W Shield, nice enough I suppose but both my S&W 442 and Beretta Nano are far and away better all-day carry weapons. Added advantage is the Nano still for some reason isn't as hard to find and is priced more reasonably than the Shield. The 442 is also a bit tricky to find, but is the kind of all-purpose gun that of the whole lot to me sits on top of the heap

+1 on the 442. I forgot to mention when I'm not carrying my Bodyguard in .380 I carry my S&W 642 (same as 442 except in stainless). If I could only have one gun, it would be the 642. If you are looking for something different, then take a look at any of the snub nose J frame Wessons. The only reason I usually carry the Bodyguard is because its lighter and thinner so easier to carry. But, you cant beat the reliability of a revolver, no safety, no slide, no worrying if you've got one in the chamber; pull the trigger and bang every time. .38 special round isn't too bad either.

Top Bottom