What's new

Help me pick a CCW

Hello gents, I have been faced with a problem. My employer has told me that I can carry while at work so long as I can convince him that there is no chance of a customer seeing it. As you can guess I am ecstatic but am faced with a problem. Currently I only have a Walther PPS and a Norinco 1911. The only way I have managed convince him is a concealment shirt/body wrap rig with what I have. I hate the concealment shirts. So I've decided to do the only logical thing...buy a new gun. I'm looking for something small enough to reliably conceal in an ankle holster or appendix carry, tucked. I'm not a fan of most of the subcompact polymer .380's. So I've narrowed my search down to a couple firearms. I'm debating between the Ruger LCR .357, the Walther PPK, S&W model 60 and the S&W model 340. What is your opinion on the best option? Is there something else I should check out? I'm currently leaning toward the LCR for the combination of weight compromise, outright price and the price of practice ammo.

I like my Ruger LCP...but you said you aren't a fan of polymer .380s. Have you looked at the Kahr CM9 or PM9? They are pretty much the smallest reliable 9mms around.

Devilpup,

You've stated that you aren't a fan of the.380, but the Ruger LCP has been my daily carry due to the awesome concealability that it affords me, either in the pocket or at my side (IWB). Barely noticeable and can do the job. Now, that being said, I am getting a new concealed carry firearm and am considering the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in either 9mm or .40 ACP, or the Springfield Armory XDS .45.

Good luck in your search!

S&W 442 or 642, nice lightweight revolver. Works well on the ankle, in a pocket, or tucked into one of those belly band thingies.

A J Frame 642 or 442 in a good pocket holster would be my choice. You won't have to dress around your gun.

Cheers!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

I can make my G26 invisible very easily as long as I wear a loose button down shirt untucked. Do you have to wear a shirt tucked in? That creates more of a problem. If so you need a pocket pistol, I know you do not want the Ruger LCP but it is gone in your front pocket with a good holster.

I can make my G26 invisible very easily as long as I wear a loose button down shirt untucked. Do you have to wear a shirt tucked in? That creates more of a problem. If so you need a pocket pistol, I know you do not want the Ruger LCP but it is gone in your front pocket with a good holster.

Im afraid so. I have to wear suits but sometimes I'm required to remove my jacket around customers. I've also found that with the width of glocks and their abrupt lines combined with my slight frame (6' tall 135 lbs) I have an extreme hard time concealing them

Im afraid so. I have to wear suits but sometimes I'm required to remove my jacket around customers. I've also found that with the width of glocks and their abrupt lines combined with my slight frame (6' tall 135 lbs) I have an extreme hard time concealing them

What about Glock single stack such as G36? They are slimmer ("slim line"?) than regular Glocks. I know a while back they were available for sale.

A Kangaroo holster has the 'good' of concealment shirts w/o the 'bad'.

Hiding a significant-sized piece (PPS, P9, LCR, etc) is easy, though white shirts are out if you take the jacket off.

An LCP disappears in any pocket. A S&W 642 is more concealable than the LCR (having owned both and carried both extensively) in your particular role, and the 642 is better for carry and practice than the 340, which will make you wish you had no feeling in your hands.

If you have the option:

Full size piece in a locked briefcase. And reloads. For when you're not around customers.

An LCP and a spare mag in the pants pocket, or a 642 and speed strips in similar, if the Kangaroo holster doesn't work.

I don't recommend ankle rigs, even to cops (one reason most cops these days carry backups in vest holsters).

If you're not interested in the LCP then I recommend a S&W 360. Super light frame, can handle .38, .38+P, and .357 Mag and you get the beautiful S&W trigger. I'm a firm believer that revolvers should have usable hammers in case a longer shot is needed, and have never had it hang up on my clothes.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I try to carry my G19 or G23 if the type of weather and garments or type of event permits. In hot, humid weather, or if a suit jacket needs to come off. This is the perfect scenario for the Ruger LCP .380 and an extra magazine stuffed deep in a pocket holster with Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester SXT or your favorite frangible ammo.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hello gents, I have been faced with a problem. My employer has told me that I can carry while at work so long as I can convince him that there is no chance of a customer seeing it. As you can guess I am ecstatic but am faced with a problem. Currently I only have a Walther PPS and a Norinco 1911. The only way I have managed convince him is a concealment shirt/body wrap rig with what I have. I hate the concealment shirts. So I've decided to do the only logical thing...buy a new gun. I'm looking for something small enough to reliably conceal in an ankle holster or appendix carry, tucked. I'm not a fan of most of the subcompact polymer .380's. So I've narrowed my search down to a couple firearms. I'm debating between the Ruger LCR .357, the Walther PPK, S&W model 60 and the S&W model 340. What is your opinion on the best option? Is there something else I should check out? I'm currently leaning toward the LCR for the combination of weight compromise, outright price and the price of practice ammo.

If I had to personally choose a small compact firearm that is extremely capable of concealed carry, and my only choice could be either the long list that you just listed or the excellent, compact, slim, substantial firepower & concealability that you already have in the Walther PPS that you already own? I would choose the Walther PPS hands down.

If you must fix what ain't broke, I will send the money to you via PayPal for the Ruger LCR and you can send me your Walther PPS. :) I have an idea for you that you might not have considered yet. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on another gun, you could buy you an excellent wardrobe and several different concealable holsters that will fit to that PPS of yours which was designed to be flat, smooth, slim and compact in order to conceal.

You already have a great gun for the purpose you seek. I mean, unless it's just an excuse to buy another great gun? Then I understand. :)

S&W 442 or 642, nice lightweight revolver. Works well on the ankle, in a pocket, or tucked into one of those belly band thingies.

The 442 in my humble opinion is the best choice.
Why?
1. A .380 cartridge is pretty much a weak sister in the big picture of carry ammunition. A 9mm is a tad better, close to a .38+ (which is down somewhat from .357 Magnum ballistics but MUCH easier to control in a short-barreled weapon)

2. The 442 creates a WAY tiny (if any) profile with the correct holster. I use a DeSantis Scabbard and don't even know it's there all day.

3. It is easy to service...fun and inexpensive to shoot.

4. Failure to feed, eject, or extract are non existent issues with a revolver

5. The concealed hammer on a 442 is one less thing to snag when drawing the weapon

For what it's worth, the Beretta Nano is just about as good a carry pistol if you MUST have an auto. Only advantage it does offer is a couple extra rounds..but statistically just about every close quarter gun fight is over in something like 2.7 rounds anyway.

The S&W Lifetime Guarantee is a nice thing also.................

Last edited:
I like my Ruger LCP...but you said you aren't a fan of polymer .380s. Have you looked at the Kahr CM9 or PM9? They are pretty much the smallest reliable 9mms around.

+1 on the Kahr. I love my pm9. small, very lightweight and accurate. Great quality.

For what ever it may be worth here...if you are not a fan of polymer .380s, why bother with a Kahr? Unless I sorely miss my guess they all have polymer frames................

Out of the choices you listed I would give a nod to the S&W, then the LCR. I carry a S&W 442 daily as a backup gun in a pocket holster and hardly notice it. As someone else posted, look for quality concealment holsters. Personally for a defensive piece I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .38 or 9 mm. One caveat with a small DA only revolver that I have seem is most carry them often and shoot them very little. I would suggest that whichever you choose if it is a new platform for you get out and train with it... Learn the trigger and put a substantial amount of rounds through it. Snubbies can have a bit of a learning curve.

Top Bottom