What's new

Help me pick a CCW

Must echo the many recommendations for the Smith 442/642. Light for an ankle holster, sweat resistant for close body love, very concealable in a Bob Mika-type pocket holster and rated for 38+P. Not much that is that easily concealable except for some of those midget .380 automatics which I personally do not recommend.

For what ever it may be worth here...if you are not a fan of polymer .380s, why bother with a Kahr? Unless I sorely miss my guess they all have polymer frames................

The Kahr I am talking about is a 9mm, not a .380. You are right though, they do have polymer frames. I only offered it as a suggestion in case he was more set on avoiding the .380 than a polymer frame.

Seems the carry/concealment aspect will be a significant issue in the selection of your next weapon. Here are a couple images which may help put things in perspective.
Weapons are (bottom to top):

1. S&W 442-.38 sp.cal
2. Beretta Nano-9mm cal.
3. S&W Shield-.40 S&W cal.
4. Para Ordnance 1911 LTC-.45 ACP cal.

All holsters are DeSantis Thumbreak Scabbards

$photo1a.jpg
$photo2a.jpg

As you can see, the difference can be significant. DeSantis holsters are legendary for their concealment capabilities, but even so, no way you will hide that .45 as easily as the snubby revolver or Nano. The S&W Shield fits somewhere in the middle of the spectrum...take your time, do not fail your due diligence and you'll come up with the correct application. Good luck............................

If I had to personally choose a small compact firearm that is extremely capable of concealed carry, and my only choice could be either the long list that you just listed or the excellent, compact, slim, substantial firepower & concealability that you already have in the Walther PPS that you already own? I would choose the Walther PPS hands down.

If you must fix what ain't broke, I will send the money to you via PayPal for the Ruger LCR and you can send me your Walther PPS. :) I have an idea for you that you might not have considered yet. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on another gun, you could buy you an excellent wardrobe and several different concealable holsters that will fit to that PPS of yours which was designed to be flat, smooth, slim and compact in order to conceal.

You already have a great gun for the purpose you seek. I mean, unless it's just an excuse to buy another great gun? Then I understand. :)

Well...mostly the money is burning a hole in my pocjet answer. I love my PPS and its my edc but I've been having trouble finding a suitable ankle holster for it. I've also had trouble finding a good shoulder holster for it. Now I've set out to find a back up gun that I can carry when the PPS isnt my choice or in addition to the PPS on occasion. If I'm being honest its about 75-90% just an excuse to buy another gun ;-)

Oh I understand the need an excuse to buy a new gun thing... So does my poor wife... In my house it usually goes something like this... Hey Honey... So and So bought a new (Insert gun here) and is using it for work... Since I'm a department instructor I should really think about picking one up so I can use it for teaching... She just rolls her eyes, and mutters "Whatever"... I think you really can't go wrong with either of the 2 snubbies you mentioned... As for holsters, check out 5 Shot leather, http://www.5shotleather.com/ I've been changing all of my holsters out to these and you will be hard pressed to find a better quality holster for the money... And the owner is a fantastic guy to deal with.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Seecamp .380. Stainless, front or rear pocket carry if the correct holster is used, DAO so one in the tube is safe. Pricey on gunbroker or the Seecamp forum classifieds and a wait if ordered from Seecamp, but you can have a custom serial #. I believe the recoil is substantial, however.

Personally I carry a Seecamp .32 every day. Some scoff at a .32, but this pistol is for up close last ditch self defence, not target shooting. They don't even have sights, but then accuracy becomes inconsequential under five feet.

They don't even have sights, but then accuracy becomes inconsequential under five feet.
But penetration doesn't. I would not be comfortable relying on a .32 as a last chance tool to save my bacon.

I realize the debate is eternal. Ford or Chevy?

my 6', 200lb self can carry my 5" 1911 at the 3:30 o'clock in a Crossbreed supertuck. and my G23 works just fine as well in a Crossbreed. either shirt untucked, or any kind of jacket. I haven't tried to wear it with a shirt tucked in only, but their vids look convincing. there are many variations on the IWB holster. I love my Crossbreeds. I have a cop buddy that wears his G36 in it daily, and has rolled (grappelled) and it was rock steady in the holster.

your PPS should fit a pocket hoster just fine I'd think. I would not want one on an ankle whatsoever. guys who have gone that route quickly give it up, in my annicdotal experience.

Last edited:
I have the ruger lcr .357 and it's one of my favorite carry guns, it fits in my front pocket or my back pocket no holster and completely concealed with not much of a print. The only draw back to it is the short barrel and it will buck and roar. I had the lcr .357 in one hand and a 454 casull in the other and the 357 had more punch than the casull. The light weight of the lcr makes the recoil kinda stout but manageable. I love mine and would never get rid of it, it conceals great and the .357 round is sweet.

Knowing a situation (the literal version of the proverbial firefight in an elevator) which happened about 20 years back where a cop and a bad guy went five for five each with .38 snubs at arm's length range......and the famous 'shooting at each other over the countertop' video where the store owner with a .38 and the robber with an auto (PPK?) were swapping rounds at about two feet....

I'd disagree that accuracy is inconsequential at any range. In the elevator case, both cop and robber were hit several times each, and this was before cell phones and near-instant backup. IIRC cop in question had a reload, and used it.

A Seecamp, like an LCP/P3AT is more or less a face gun, intended for near contact distance shooting, but even with the rudimentary sights on any of them (having shot the Seecamp, NAA clone of it, the LCP, P32, P3AT and a couple others) you can get effective AIMED hits in center mass out to about five or six yards in a hurry under stress if you practice. A P9 or similar with practice can hit at 20+ yards.

Go to a gun store and check for two things:

One, can your wrists handle it? I don't mean that to be funny, but I seen a lot of friends go by my suggestions and cry about the kick, or snap.. Some ranges offer similar guns to shoot to what they sell, giving you an opportunity to "test" run.

Two, are there plentiful accessories for your handgun you are considering? You will kick yourself in the butt when you can barely find a good holster.

My suggestion is a .357 snub nose, if you have the ability, carry more ammo and a speed loader, in case 20 people come at you. :lol?

Consider ammo costs going up as well

Last edited:
But penetration doesn't. I would not be comfortable relying on a .32 as a last chance tool to save my bacon.

I realize the debate is eternal. Ford or Chevy?

Many feel the same, but stick the muzzle in an ear, nostril or eye of an attacker, empty the magazine and penetration also becomes inconsequential. Even a .22 is very effective at this range and I have friends that carry .22s.

How does it become self defence at 20+ yards? Where is the threat unless you are being fired upon? Most people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol in a high stress situation at 20 yards. The controlled environment of a range is a different situation entirely. At 5 feet and under the accuracy of the pistol does not matter much, the accuracy of the shooter is vital. Who is going to have time to aim? This is instinctive shooting.

The Seecamp is in fact a near contact or contact weapon, and that is exactly what I expect of it and what I mean by a last ditch pistol.

It may or may not meet the needs of the OP.

Last edited:
I can think of many places I am regularly at where potentially coming under fire from 100m+ is possible and still remaining on private property.

At shorter distances, look down the average Wal-mart aisle. 20-30 yards in many cases. A Costco or Sam's Club is even worse.

While most instances will occur at very short range.......sometimes, they don't.

Plan accordingly.

I think the LCR would work well for you. I had a chance to handle this gun a few weeks ago and its super light. Its also small enough to pocket carry comfortably ...however never shot it. And bet that a LCR in .357 would kick like a mule.

If I was going to carry all day at work I would personally go with a smaller LCP or S&W Bodyguard(although I know you said your not a fan). I own a LCP and its so small/light I almost always choose it over my XD9 or .38 snub(or Glock 35, Springfield 1911 Operator :biggrin1:).

Top Bottom