What's new

Advice please

Hello

Need advice / help choosing a Thiers Issard .

I'm really interested in the EVIDE SONNANT EXTRA and THE SUPER GNOME.
Both appeal to me as they are plain and simple ,as opposed to the more ornate gold etched versions.
I'll be ordering tonight from CLASSIC SHAVING so any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Also I think I'm going to order one of the Russian leather /canvas strops they stock . Does anyone know if these are good quality ?.They look better than my Dovo .

It's 16.30 here in the Uk so times ticking and I'm itching to order !:001_smile

P/s HAPPY CHRISTMAS

They are both basic, no frills quality razors and should give a good shave. They are just a tad on the light side if thats an issue with you. As far as the strop goes you would do better ordering one from Tony Miller. The Dovo's are good I've had one but for the money Tony's are a much better deal.

They are both basic, no frills quality razors and should give a good shave. They are just a tad on the light side if thats an issue with you. As far as the strop goes you would do better ordering one from Tony Miller. The Dovo's are good I've had one but for the money Tony's are a much better deal.

Completely agree on buying a strop from Tony - even his basic strops are much better than the Dovos (not saying the Dovos are bad, just that Tony's are better).

Tony also sells starter sets with shave-ready razors (as in professionally honed) razors for very good prices:

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=91

As for the TI razors you're looking at, the Gnomes are 1/2 hollow, which means they're a litle heavier/stiffer than the Evides, which are full hollow. Its really a matter of preference as to which of these razors to get - you'll get good shaves from either. If you do buy a TI from Classic, you'll have to hone it yourself of spring for the hand honing option - which I think costs an extra $20 (which is why the set from Tony is such a good deal!).

Hope this helps.

How light ?.I have a Dovo 5/8 ''special''as a bench mark .Are we talking lighter or about the same .

I was hoping the super Gnome would be a bit beefier with it being a 1/2 grind.

Completely agree on buying a strop from Tony - even his basic strops are much better than the Dovos (not saying the Dovos are bad, just that Tony's are better).

Tony also sells starter sets with shave-ready razors (as in professionally honed) razors for very good prices:

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=91

As for the TI razors you're looking at, the Gnomes are 1/2 hollow, which means they're a litle heavier/stiffer than the Evides, which are full hollow. Its really a matter of preference as to which of these razors to get - you'll get good shaves from either. If you do buy a TI from Classic, you'll have to hone it yourself of spring for the hand honing option - which I think costs an extra $20 (which is why the set from Tony is such a good deal!).

Hope this helps.

I agree the strops look amazing .The razors are Dovo though.Got a Dovo.

How light ?.I have a Dovo 5/8 ''special''as a bench mark .Are we talking lighter or about the same .

I was hoping the super Gnome would be a bit beefier with it being a 1/2 grind.

The Gnome will be beefier - you might also want to consider going to the 6/8 as well.

I really like the heavier grinds and if you already have a 5/8 full hollow, I'd definitely try a 1/2 hollow to mix things up a bit.

I agree the strops look amazing .The razors are Dovo though.Got a Dovo.

His strops are amazing - even his $45 strop makes the Dovos look sickly - (and I've had a Dovo). Do yourself a favour, make your next strop a Miller - you won't regret it.

The Gnome will be the heavier of the two. With the different grind the result will be a stiffer shave. It will behave more like a wedge on the face. When I said light I didn't mean light in weight I meant on the lower end of the scale of the TI razors or more modest models. It will still give a great shave though. Great bang for the buck.

+1 on Tony's strops. I have both (DOVO Best Russian and a TM Artisan) and find Tony's more pleasurable to use and just over all a better strop

Cheers folks.Though the more I look at them the more confused I get...they are all lovely.:confused:

I also now like the EBONY HANDLE SINGING MODEL and the BLONDE HORN .
Thank you non the less for the replies

Agree With the TM strop, they are the best to me. I have a few of them and would never Hesitate getting another. Plus his customer service is excellant, he will answer any question about his strops anytime.

Phil

Top Bottom