What's new

Pinaud scents: 8 mini-reviews

Special Reserve has a bit of ...Orange and spice in it too to me, definitely the one I like to go for when I want it known, I smell Good!

Have to agree with Seattleshave on Vanilla more of a not so sweet citrus with less staying power than most of the rest. This might be more of a summer scent but still similar to Clubman to me.

Nice review. Thanks.

I so want to like VIBR but it has too much clove for me. I will one day try Captains Choice.

Amazon is a great option for Pinaud Value. The other good and often local source is Sally's Beauty Supply. I picked up a 12.5 oz classic clubman (the only scent they carry) for $7 or $8. Masters Bay Rum can be found there for a similar price.

I've decided that I also like Citrus Musk and decided to order a full 12 oz bottle. If you look around (hard) you can find it for $11 shipped.

Lillac Veg and Lime Sec are still not for me but Citrus Musk adds some more variety to the Pinaud lineup.

I'm not even taking my own advice! I guess I want to complete the "collection" :) I just ordered Lilac Vegetal and Lime Sec!

They are not my favorites but really after you put any of these scents on they fade a bit and are acceptable :)

The fun part is finding the best prices (shipped) for each one. I've found BYPLE through the Amazon marketplace and Ball Beauty Sales to be the first places to check. BYPLE usually has good prices and no shipping charge. Ball has good prices and has a low priced and fast shipping service if you only order one bottle at a time. If you order more than one bottle you don't get the option of choosing first class mail and then all the other shipping options are too expensive.

I have been using the vanilla for a little while now. I do like that the scent fades quickly in that I do not want it contrasting with any cologne that I might wear. However, after using it over time, I find that I notice a little more alcohol scent to it in the mornings as opposed to a fresh vanilla. A good scent when first used but have tired of it quickly as I have been wanting to get away from the alcohol scent tang in the morning.

I think one key to the Pinaud scents (for me) is to use a spray bottle for Special Reserve just because it's such a heavy scent and for Lillac Veg (if you use it at all) just to keep it off your hands. Once it's been on your face for a while (I wish it didn't take so long) then it's an acceptable scent.

All the rest I apply simply using the "splash" method.

Funny, to me the Musk smells like a toned down (yet a little more sophisticated) version of "Original". I love both.

I have a bottle of Special Reserve and I keep trying to like it. Every now and again I will get it out and use it a few time... then determine i don't like it and back it goes. LOL. To me its nothing like English Leather. Which I wear fairly often.

SR and Lillac Veg are both ones I try to like but don't really. Since I have all the others I bought them just to try them all out. A big bottle of Lime Sec just arrived today along with the Clubman Talc! The only one ordered but not yet arrived is the Citrus Musk (although I do have a sample size already).

At this point I could open up a barbershop :)

SR and Lillac Veg are both ones I try to like but don't really....

This is me too. I traded for some Veg just to see what all the hubbub was about, and I am quite ambivalent about it. I don't dislike it enough to get rid of it but there's always something else I'd rather wear. The SR is so hardcore that I can't stand myself when I wear it. I decanted a wee dram in the aforementioned trade and I've been milking the remaining drops since a little goes a long way. I may actually pick up some more SR because SWMBO responds favorably to it and then just decant a few splashes and trade or PIF the rest of it away.

I've decided that SR and the Veg don't require spray bottles (for me) and that Lime Sec is the only one that I really don't "need". I'm not that fond of the citrus scents anyway and could eliminate Citrus Musk as well even though arguably it's the best of the Pinaud citrus bases scents.

Since it's so "unique" I'll keep Lilac Veg as my one citrus Pinaud scent. That leaves six scents in the Pinaud line that I'll try to maintain.

Order of frequency used (for me) Clubman, Vanilla, VI Bay Rum, Musk, Special Reserve, and Lilac Veg.

The key to Lilac Veg and Special Reserve are just to put it on and don't judge the scent until you're ready to leave the house. By then it all has a pleasant scent IMO.

Last edited:
I had a business meeting at a country club this morning and in the restroom they had a full suite of Pinaud scents. That was very helpful to quickly scan Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, and the veg. The first two didn't capture me and I tried the veg. Unfortunately, I want chosen. Can I apply a second scents and cover this up???

I've got full bottles of Clubman, Special Reserve, The Veg, Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, and Vanilla. What I use kind of depends on the shaving cream, ASB, and EdT I'm using for the day - If I'm going sandawoodish or vetiverish I go with the Clubman, Special Reserve or Vanilla. If I'm going more citrus I go with the Lime Sec or the Citrus Musk. If I'm going "old timey" (and somewhat floral) I'll go with the Veg or Clubman. I had a sample of VIBR, but prefer Domenica or Captain's Choice for a Bay Rum. I haven't tried the musk -- mostly because I OD'ed on Jovan Musk in the 70's. It was then the (cheap) equivalent of Aqua di Gio today. I find the Clubman and the Veg have the most staying power followed by Special Reserve, Lime Sec, Vanilla and Citrus Musk. The last three are about the same and aren't good for much more than an hour or so. Clubman and the Veg will last through the work day. I'm also a fan of the Eau de Quinine hair tonic - leaves my hair feeling shiny and healthy. Aftershave for the hair. Got all my Pinaud at Drugstore.com. Buy 'em all and you get free shipping. :wink2:

My first was Clubman. Had to try it after the respect it gets on this site. My first thought was that it's the quintessential barbershop scent as you described. But it's too powdery for my taste. Next I tried Special Reserve and I really like that one. I wore it to work and a lady coworker came to my area and said - it smells nice over hear, who's wearing cologne? And i said..well....nothing. I have no idea how to pronounce Pinaud! This was several hours into my day. That stuff does really last! right now I'm trying a sample of the Veg I got from Garry's shop. I'm confused. I feel like i'm getting oscillating waves of sweet floral then urine. it's very strong. I kind of like the sweet floral part...but not enough to overcome the urine. Really, the smell of urine is hard to overcome.

I have no idea how to pronounce Pinaud! QUOTE]
I had the same problem, my French is terrible, and I actually emailed the company to find out. My email went something like this: "Is it pronounced Pin-wad, or Pin-ode?", and got an email back saying "it's pronounced 'Pee-no', like in Pinocchio".

Top Bottom