What's new

I need a new brush and im seeking advice

I'm new at the brush lathering and ive got a few questions

1 right now im using the vdh which seems to work fine but im looking for an upgrade.
2 whats the difference in a custom brush and a name brand besides price.
3 is a used brush better because its broken in already?
4 how do you know if its broken in new or used
5 i have no idea what to look for ive tryed face lather and mug i like them both but is there a certain brush i need for this.
6 if i were to get a big small or medium knot brush made what should i ask for if its brand name what to look for
7 i prefer something soft but is that going to make a difference in the lather

thanks for all the advice everyones given be in my past post so far its helped a lot

Take a look at Semogue 610, 620, 820, 830, 1305, 1800 and Semogue Owners club (comes in cherry or ash).

Last edited:
Brushes are a very personal thing. What works for one shaver may be awful for another.

Can you tell us how long you have had your present (VDH) brush? If it is the boar or badger model and what about it you do not like?

the vhd is boar about a month and i'd like a softer one and one that can be used for face or mug lather but have no clue as to what im looking for

A cutom brush is a one of a kind piece of art made by an artisan, and most are very good quality. You may also be able to specify some or all aspects of it: handle material and shape, knot, loft, etc. I'd say this is something to so once you know more about what you want.

Any brush used for a few weeks will be at least partly broken in. New brushes are not broken in. Badger breaks in faster than boar. Break in is a simple procedure: wash it to get any funky smell out, make a few test lathers, then just use it to shave. It can speed the process to let it dry completely between uses. It's a simple process and one worth experiencing. Buying used can save you some money though.

I'd recommend an average size brush, 55mm or so loft, 22-24mm diameter. Pick a handle you like. Boar is less expensive and takes longer to break in but a good quality boar can be very soft. Boar tends to lather better, especially with hard soaps. Any brush will lather a cream. Badger is a bit more expensive but tends to be softer and more luxurious.

I've had both the VDH boar and their badger. My $9 Omega 10049 was a step up in quality over both of those. For a newer shaver, and it sounds like you're one, I'd recommend a good boar brush. Pretty much any boar brush from Omega or Semogue in the $10-25 range will do and be much higher quality than the VDH. If you want to spend a bit more and get a soft brush, good quality badger brushes can be had for $40-65. Read here and on other forums to get some ideas but don't worry too much about it. Pick one and use if for a month or two. You'll get to know what you like and what you don't and you can always buy more brushes later.

And keep reading the forums. You'll learn a lot.

Scott

For $26(US) you can get a Silvertip Badger Hair Knot in a Resin Handle(20mm, 22mm, 24mm) - $26 from Whipped Dog. I have never heard a bad report about their products.​

Top Bottom