What's new

First Post - Need help finding a more aggressive safety razor

Hi all, this is my first post, however, I have been perusing the forums for a while now.

I have been wet shaving for a year now and until recently have used the Merkur 34C which I find to provide an adequate shave although not as close as I'd like. However, I greatly enjoy the heavy weight and durability of this shaver. Recently a friend sent me a 1950s style Gillette flair tip super speed which I have found to be slightly more aggressive as it lacks the substantial safety bar that the Merkur contains. Therefore, I actually enjoy shaving with this Gillette more, however, I really miss the weight of the Merkur. For reference the Gillette is 58 grams with blade and the Merkur is 80 grams.

I have searched this forum and beyond and am slightly overwhelmed by the variety of different shavers and their attributes (e.g., open comb v. safety bar, slant bar v. non-slant, etc.).

I am looking for a heavier shaver that is more aggressive than the 34C but (ideally) has the short handle of the 34C. I have consistently gone back to the 37C as a potential option but I don't know much about brands beyond Merkur and am wondering if there is a more ideal candidate out there.

For reference, I shave every 2 or 3 days, and have very thick, course hair. I vary my blades frequently as I am still honing in on what my ideal blades are but currently I am fond of 7 a.m., Dorco and Sharp blades. For almost the entire year I have been using Taylor of Old Bond Almond shave cream but recently switched over to The Gentleman's Groom Room Mountain Yew shaving soap (produced by Shetland Soap Co.) as well as testing out a variety of other shave soaps and creams.

Try the gillette red tip :) its more aggressive than the flairtip although its a flairtip itself. Or you could try a muhle r41.

Well at least I know my searches were adequate, I actually am looking at several Gillette red tips on eBay currently and I was reading reviews on the r41 which seemed to be viewed positively.

I've used the Merkur 33C and EJ DE89 for a while now. I too wanted a slightly more aggressive razor. After reading countless reviews I just took the plunge into open comb with the Cadet TP-27 open comb razor from shaveabuck. It has a long handle but they also have models with shorter handles. The handles are all brass so they have a nice heavy feel to them. Open comb looks a little scary at first, but after trying it I got one of the smoothest shaves I've had in a while. I just payed attention to blade angle and used a light touch, letting the weight of the razor do the work. And it was only $19.99. Even if you end up not liking it, you've got a nice cheap handle to use on other razors. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom