What's new

Looking for the Best Badger Brush for both bowl and face lathering

So I am gathering that I will like the Duke Simpson brush #3? Not sure what the numbers mean? In superior? or best? Whats the difference? Or should I go for a another brush all together? I appreciate the advice. I am very disappointed in the Muhle Fibre brush as I can't get the darn thing to lather how I like. I think I might just sell it on here. Thanks!

So I am gathering that I will like the Duke Simpson brush #3? Not sure what the numbers mean? In superior? or best? Whats the difference? Or should I go for a another brush all together? I appreciate the advice. I am very disappointed in the Muhle Fibre brush as I can't get the darn thing to lather how I like. I think I might just sell it on here. Thanks!

This is most likely due to your technique. Is the Muhle your first shaving brush.

How do you build your lather? In a bowl? OR on your face?

I find that my Muhle synthetic lathers like a rabid dog.....

If you are looking for a one size fits all "swiss army knife" brush about the only one I have found is the Da Vinci 293 bead handle badger.

Here is my review of that brush: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/297253-Da-Vinci-293-Bead-Handle-Brush-Review

I have all of the Dukes and the Da Vinci is head and shoulders above all of them when it comes to versatility (bowl or face lathering)

The # on Simpsons brushes designates size so a #3 is going to be larger than a #2. Not very helpful if you don't know what they are talking about though :sad:

proxy.php

Hi Turtle, I like you went back to your original avatar! I like it! :) I do both, depends on my mood I guess... but just want to get a brush that I know I can depend on doing either without being hesitant about it. I will look into that DaVinci! Cool video!

The Muhle is my 4th brush, and first Synthetic... I would love to see someone do a YouTube video of lathering it. I asked for advice a month ago on it, and for some reason I just not getting it.

Savile Row 3824

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner :thumbup1:

It blew the D3 right out of my den. Ultra soft, nice flowthrough, comfortable handle and just the right amount of backbone and splay.

not to mention the engraved handle and stunning good looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Turtle, I like you went back to your original avatar! I like it! :) I do both, depends on my mood I guess... but just want to get a brush that I know I can depend on doing either without being hesitant about it. I will look into that DaVinci! Cool video!

The 293 is a nice brush. Stiff enough to face lather with and long enough to whip up a bowl full too. Not too many brushes do both lathering methods as good as this brush does. It is not the best at each but it does not fall on its face when you ask more of it then you can of other brushes.

The Muhle is my 4th brush, and first Synthetic... I would love to see someone do a YouTube video of lathering it. I asked for advice a month ago on it, and for some reason I just not getting it.

I have the small 19mm knot Muhle Synthetic. I bought it to travel with so I have only face lathered as that is how I will use it when traveling.

I had to put it away otherwise I would not use any of my other brushes. Yea it worked that well for me :001_smile

proxy.php

My suggestion is a Simpsons 58 in best badger. I absolutely love this brush. It has essentially the same dimensions as the Duke 3, but it has a somewhat longer handle. You could use this brush for face- or bowl-lathering.

If you go with Duke 3, go with best badger. Many prefer it over Simpsons super badger hair and it is about $100 less.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The best brush for bowl lathering is generally considered to be a large silvertip badger. The best brush for face lathering is generally considered to be a smaller, stiffer brush with good backbone - often a boar as you can find these qualities easily for considerably less money than a badger.

A brush that would be perfect for both would be a big, small, floppy, stiff brush. I'm sure you can find one that does an acceptably good job at both, but why not get two that are perfect for the job at hand and feed your AD at the same time?

Another vote for the Da Vinci 293. It's an awesome brush that, as Turtle said, handles both jobs very well. Good luck with your search.

The 293 is a nice brush. Stiff enough to face lather with and long enough to whip up a bowl full too. Not too many brushes do both lathering methods as good as this brush does. It is not the best at each but it does not fall on its face when you ask more of it then you can of other brushes.

I have the small 19mm knot Muhle Synthetic. I bought it to travel with so I have only face lathered as that is how I will use it when traveling.

I had to put it away otherwise I would not use any of my other brushes. Yea it worked that well for me :001_smile

proxy.php

Turtle - Congratulations! You have cost me my marriage and indirectly added two new brushes to my quiver in one fell swoop. I doubt I'm your first victim on the BB boards.

Top Bottom