What's new

Got my new Cadet OC.

Just got my new Cadet TP-27 delivered from shaveabuck. Ordered it Thursday and came Tuesday. Pretty quick delivery. I've been using DE razors for some years now but never tried an open comb. This seemed like a pretty inexpensive way to try one. Looks like a pretty nice razor considering it was only $19.99!

Attachments

• $Cadet.jpg
    $Cadet.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 294
I got mine a couple days ago. Shaved with it last night, although I used my UFO Kaiser Short handle with it. Very nice shaver. Used a Polsilver Super Iridium in it and got a very close, irritation free shave. No nicks or weepers. Went four passes (WTG, XTG, ATG, WTG) and no problems. I was a little concerned because I heard the some guys have trouble getting even blade exposure with these.... and I can see why. I put the blade in the first time, tightened it up without paying a whole lot of attention and it didn't look very even. I loosened it up and adjusted it a bit and it was fine. The shave went well so I can't complain. Mine had a little ding in the side of the cap that had obviously happened at the factory before plating.... but it's barely noticeable and honestly, I don't expect too much in the appearance department from a $20 razor.

Ben

Shaved with it this morning. Gotta tell you, I was a little apprehensive at first, but I got a really nice smooth shave with no irritation or razor burn. I think it even shaved better than my DE89l. I'm pleasantly surprised! I saw the “Brotherhood of the Open Comb” forum and might post this there.

Ben, I agree, the Cadet OC is a nice razor, but I do have to spend some time with blade alignment before I feel OK with starting a shave. For the money, I can put up with a little extra time to align.

Shaved with it this morning. Gotta tell you, I was a little apprehensive at first, but I got a really nice smooth shave with no irritation or razor burn. I think it even shaved better than my DE89l. I'm pleasantly surprised! I saw the “Brotherhood of the Open Comb” forum and might post this there.
We will welcome u with open arms.:thumbup:

Been shaving with this for over a month now and this has become my favorite razor. I shaved with it for a couple weeks and then tried my DE89 again. I haven't used the de89 since. I get nice smooth shaves with no irritation or razor burn. the de89 was mild but irritated my neck for some reason. Maybe when I get 50 posts I'll put the de89 on BST.

Excellent razor. I alternate between this and the R41 and honestly the Cadet is moving to number 1 as of late.

My Cadet OC TP44 immediately converted me to open combs and became my favorite (over my Merkur 180, and Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty). They're great razors, and a steal at $20.

Since someone said it. Is the blade alignment an issue with these?

i want to get one because the UFO handles fit them, but the whole blade alignment thing has me doubting.

Since someone said it. Is the blade alignment an issue with these?

i want to get one because the UFO handles fit them, but the whole blade alignment thing has me doubting.

When I first put a blade in it I wasn't sure if the blade was aligned or not. So I loosened it up and re-tightned it down. Upon closer investigation it may have been an illusion. I was looking at the amount of blade sticking out past the top cap. When I compared both sides of the teeth the blade exposure looked even. I do hold the razor on both ends with thumb and finger as I tighten it down, and I do check each time I load a blade. But so far no problems.

Of course I might add that I always check any razor that I just put a new blade in to make sure everything looks aligned right.

does anyone know if this is the same razor as the razorock little bastone?
No. The TP-44 has an old style octogon handle. The Little Bastone from Italian Barber looks like it might be the TP-01SS on the shaveabuck site. The RazoRock Jaws on Italian Barber looks the same as the TP-01 from shaveabuck. The RazoRock Black Hammer looks like the same handle on my TP-27, only it is black instead of chrome. It doesn't look like RazoRock has that handle with an OC.

thanks for the reply botoc. i have the razorock oc and wondered if the heads were alike. after using the little bastone for a couple weeks i think it's a pretty good shaver for under $20

Hi, mates!

I also bought a Pearl/Cadet open comb razor some time ago and I have used it a few times:

I found it a bit aggressive but I got with some care good close shaves. But probably I haven't paid much attention to blade alignment, next time I'll be more careful about that issue and will see if it improves my shaving experience.

Anyway I agree with you about it has a superb value for money. I have tried Merkur, Muhle and Gillette New OC long teeth heads and for me this is the best OC design to get a close shave from all of those ones.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The principal failing of modern razor designs, in my opinion, is that we have to tinker with blade alignment.

It shouldn't be rocket science to make a razor in which the blade is always perfectly aligned. Gillette got it right with the Tech, the NEW, and all the TTOs. Why can't a modern company figure out how to do this? It's mind boggling.

I agree. But I am more forgiving on a $20 razor that performs above my expectations than I would be with a $40+ razor.

Always remember "Gentle when stroked Fierce when provoked
We will welcome u with open arms.:thumbup:

+1

Top Bottom