What's new

First Time Wet Shaver, Last Time Cartridge Shaver

Hi all. My initials are SPF, hence the screen name.

I began wet shaving two weeks ago after reading "Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving". (I highly recommend this book, for new and experienced shavers alike)

I'm loving it so far. I had a bit of trouble at first with getting the lather right, but I experimented with different quantities of water, and eventually found a perfect middle. Right now I have a Parker razor, but I bought it before I knew very much about wet-shaving, and on the whole I regret it. The blade doesn't align itself properly, so I have to shake it to one side before I lock it down in order to get the blade parallel with the head. This leaves me with one side of the razor more aggressive than the other. I'll be getting a new one as soon as I have the money. I'm hoping for a Super Speed, or a Merkur.

Right now I'm using Shark super chrome blades, and they are working great. I bought a sampler pack, and will try it when I feel my technique is better.

Welcome to B&B! Both the SS and Merkurs are excellent choices, and you really can't go wrong with either. I would also recommend giving the Edwin Jagger's a look. That was my first razor, and 2+ years in it's still one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B... Keep your eyes on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, as very often you may find a slightly used shaving item (pretty much everything from brushes/razors to creams/aftershaves) for a discount price. Maybe you might find your next razor there.

By the way, "Last Time Cartridge Shaver" = awesome.

Welcome! I am also new to wet shaving, and have just finished to book. It is phenomenal, and if anyone is interested in my copy, PM me. I suggest the Edwin Jagger, I debated the Murkur, but in the end, the Jagger was just too cool looking!

You and I took the same route, SPF. My wife got me Grooming Lounge's shave kit and Leisureguy's book, and it took off from there. I also made the mistake of getting a Parker 3-piece razor, although (thank heaven!) there weren't any alignment problems with the razor. Like Chonax said, keep an eye on the BST forum for a user-grade razor. You'll be AMAZED at how inexpensive they are. If one doesn't come up that strikes your fancy, post a WBT (Want To Buy) and you will be deluged with offers.

Welcome! I am also new to wet shaving, and have just finished to book. It is phenomenal, and if anyone is interested in my copy, PM me.

PRO-TIP: hang onto the book and reread it every now and then. Go through it with a highlighter and use it as a reference source. And yes, it is simply outstanding. That's what made me realize just how good shaving can be.

I've been wetshaving for a while, and I'm just now reading LeisureGuy's book. His advice is very useful, and (as he always points out) YMMV.

Merkurs and Superspeeds are both nice, of course. But for me, there is nothing like a vintage Gillette. Get a Superspeed in your rotation! Don't you want to be like these guys?

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvUhJZtnjg

Last edited:
Welcome. I am a newbie as well. I have the Edwin Jagger 89 and it's amazing. Everything is perfect from the handle to the alignment. I couldn't be happier. I am still working on the lather myself.

Good luck!

Welcome. I've been wetshaving a little over a year and my first razor was a Edwin Jagger 89 also. Great razor. Personally I have found the Shark blades to be a perfect mate for the EJ too.

Welcome. The book is definitely an enjoyable, eye-opening read. Lots of razors from which to choose, but you have the right idea, stick with one thing, be it blades or razors, till you're certain of your technique. Just pick one, be it new or vintage, and get the feel of it. It takes time, and since starting up last May, my shaves have gotten consistent and good, sometimes BBS. By no means do I think the learning has stopped; in fact, it probably never ends. Enjoy your shaves!

Welcome aboard B&B. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Practice and patience will pay off with better and better shaves.

Top Bottom