What's new

Seeking advice on cleaning vintage Gillette (Adjustable) Safety razors

What are some of the most effective and yet least harmful (damaging) methods for cleaning up old Gillette (adjustable or fixed) DE safety razors? I've tried using an old toothbrush and a pipe cleaner with WD-40 and Goo-Gone and then dish soap and water, followed by a short soak in Simple Green. Suggestions or comments, please?

It's all explained in HERE
This is good but I soak nickel razors in a bowl with just enough water to cover it and about 10 squirts of 409 (Scrubbing Bubbles is great too) for a good day or so. You don't want to put too much cleaner in because it can soften the paint in the numbers. Pull it out and scrub away with a toothbrush. If the insides are gummed up (the adjustment won't go all the way from 1-9) and that soak doesn't work, spray in some full strength 409 and let it soak for a few minutes, then work the adjustment back and forth. After it frees up, hold it under the faucet with a small stream of water and keep working the adjustment back and forth for a while until you stop seeing crud coming out. After it's all clean and if it's dull, I use just a little Mother's aluminum polish with a toothbrush to polish it up. Really don't overdo that because you can polish away the nickel and never do it on gold.

Top Bottom