What's new

Convince me (or not) to get a Seiko monster

I've got a few modest watches in my collection and like to have different styles to fit whatever mood or outfit I'm in. Well, I'd like to have an auto Seiko in my collection and the the Seiko 5 just isn't cutting it. Here it is:
View attachment 300553
It's a great automatic at a low price point but after wearing it a few times, it's too small and plain for my tastes. I used to be turned off by the Monster's "loud" look to but now, it's kind of grown on me. I'd like to have a solid Seiko automatic for about $200 in my collection and with so many options, it gets confusing. Monster or other Seiko? Here's a file pic of a black Seiko Monster:
$Seikomonster.jpg

I love the monsters (both of 'em - black and orange) - they wear well, are a nice size, tough as nails... can't go wrong, I think. I'm a real fan of Seiko divers - the around-$200 ones, anyway. (Haven't sprung for more expensive ones, yet.)

see my sig, for my final opinion....

I guess I should! :lol:
I've got a Pepsi Orient Mako that I love but doesn't have the presence that the Monster seems to have.

I was recently bitten by the "Monster Bug." I love both of my monsters (black and orange). I have large wrists (8 1/4"), so they seem to fit me well. They also look awesome on a NATO or Zulu strap.
Here is my Black Monster $Seikomonster.jpg

they do look great on Zulus. I have my OM on an orange rubber maratac strap with a deployment clasp. I also have an Anvil bracelet that looks & wears great!

I have a bunch of Japanese divers - Seiko, Citizen, Orient - and as great as they all are, the Monsters are distinctive!

I like my Monsters (black and orange), they are quite heavy and feel very solid on my wrist. I also have a large wrist, 8 3/4", and the large-faced, heavy Monster is a pleasure to wear. I only wear them on the weekends or casual Friday, though, mostly because they are a little too thick for my cuffs on my dress shirts to slide over easily, which makes it hard to slide the cuff back and check the time.

I also started with a black Military SNK809 and than moved to the Orange Monster SKX781. I have nothing bad to say about the monster except the crown does dig in to the back of my hand some, but I wear my watches below the wrist. I think its a fantastic watch at the typical grey market prices...!

I have a black monster and a couple of other seikos, including a spring drive. They make awesome watches at all price points, and the monster is going to be a classic. I believe the new monsters have the new hacking movement as well so that is a nice upgrade. Strap options are also great. I have a collection of straps for my watches porbably in excess of 100... Its a cheap way to add variety to your collection.

I think you guys are right......I must give in. My watch AD has struck again! I'll probably sell this Seiko 5, save some money before getting the Monster. On the other hand, I'm also waiting on an automatic Citizen that's a bit more dressy and should be here in a week or so. I'm working on having a few Japanese automatic watches to complement my "Swiss Made" quartz watches. Here's the Citizen I'm waiting on: Citizen Meccanico NP3010-00A Caliber 4166 movement
$Citizen mecc1.jpg$citizen-meccanico-pelle-blu.jpg

I've worn a Black Monster daily since 2006. I love the watch. The stainless bracelet is one of the most comfortable bracelets on any watch I've ever owned. I picked up the rubber Monster strap about 5 years ago, and use it for a couple of months out of the year just to mix things up. It ran a little fast when I first purchased it, but I've since calibrated it. The Monster is a watch that you may want to put your hands on before purchasing just to be sure. I picked mine up at a Seiko outlet store and they adjusted the bracelet for me. The crystal is hard and doesn't show any scratches or pitting - the raised bezel protects it well. I still get compliments on it to this day.

Cheers!

Legion

Staff member
I've never been a fan of the Monster look, because the bezel is too big for me. I got one of these.

proxy.php

I've never been a fan of the Monster look, because the bezel is too big for me. I got one of these.

proxy.php

I've never been a fan for the same reason, which is why I also picked up one of those, but with a black dial (SKX007). Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with Seiko, as they are great watches for the price.

Top Bottom