What's new

I Got a cadet OC

I returned from anual meeting late last night and saw the box sitting on the table. Its strange how I forget things I'm eager to receive that are hobby related.
The razor is well built. The fit and finish is superbe. I think compared to a "10" like a feather or any stainless razor, it's an 8, like my EJ, and a 6 for my merkur 25C and HD classic.
The threads are nice and smooth and progressively tighten up the closer it gets to being together. The blade needs to be aligned before tightened all the way. But it is perfectly straight.
I put a personna in it, lathered up with tabac soap and started. The first pass was exceedlingly efficient. No need to do another first wtg pass. This cadet oc puts the blades leading edge a significant distance from the bottom open comb plate. I used the lightest touch possible. I like that the weight of the razor facilitates a smooth and "robust" feel, despite using zero pressure. With this razor, you must be aware of proper angle at all times. I have never used a Muhle R41. But I'd imagine this is a similar type of aggressive. I am glad that I can still achieve a smooth shave with an aggressive razor.
The XTG and ATG passes were both exceedingly "efficient" but in a different way. Still plenty of "feel" and control.
I ended up with the perfect bbs shave. My best shave since I started Dec 2011. Unfortnately, I had significant burn and irritation on my neck. It calmed down after a while, and ill just be more careful next time. I also look forward to using it with my ikon handle for added weight.
In summary, I LOVE this razor, and think I'll use it uninterrupted for a few months before altering routine. A great value for somone that does not have technique problems, and KNOWS what they're doing.

I enjoy my Cadet OC head on a Parker 98R handle.

proxy.php

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

There are many different models but the heads are the same. Some even come with a plastic case. Check out Shaveabuck. Joe is terrific. And I have only tried the open comb, but Jhamlin nailed it above - it is a superb shaver.

Well, I ordered a Cadet OC on Shave a Buck and then I picked one up on BST. So I emailed Joe at Shave a Buck back to see if I could change the order to a closed bar head (the razor I ordered had the option for both open comb or closed). So, hopefully I'll be getting one of each in the next few days. I'm not a big fan of the looks of their handles.... but I just got a couple UFO handles today so I'm mostly just concerned about getting the heads. Glad to hear so many like these razors. They are definitely priced right. I haven't read too much on the closed bar head..... so it'll be interesting to see how it shaves.

Ben

I can't speak for all the handles, but the one I bought is solid and attractive. Far superior to the FaTip and Muhle.
I look forward to your opinion on the solid bar head, it looks similiar to the Edwin Jagger head.

I have the Razorock version (I think it's still the same razor) and I really like it. Maybe I'll give it a run-out tomorrow morning....

Well, I ordered a Cadet OC on Shave a Buck and then I picked one up on BST. So I emailed Joe at Shave a Buck back to see if I could change the order to a closed bar head (the razor I ordered had the option for both open comb or closed). So, hopefully I'll be getting one of each in the next few days. I'm not a big fan of the looks of their handles.... but I just got a couple UFO handles today so I'm mostly just concerned about getting the heads. Glad to hear so many like these razors. They are definitely priced right. I haven't read too much on the closed bar head..... so it'll be interesting to see how it shaves.

Ben

I don't have a UFO handle but I use the Weber handle on mine and enjoy it. The Cadet open comb I got had the long handle which I'm not a big fan of as I use all short handle razors. I just ordered one of the new ones with a short handle which should be here any day now.

The Cadet is one razor I'll use when I take a break from my R41 just to mix things up a bit :)

That was my impression just looking at the photos.... that it's similar to the Muhle and EJ solid bar heads. I figure for around $20 it's worth a try, if nothing else.

Ben

The Cadet/RazoRock/Matador razors are extremely well reviewed, you shouldn't be disappointed.

I found the closed bar razor to look great, and to shave great; it's just slightly more aggressive than I like, so I parted with mine.

Top Bottom