What's new

What's Your Favourite "Rock Oriented" Christmas Music?

For me, the top by far is "I Believe In Father Christmas" by Greg Lake of ELP fame. After that is Jethro Tull's "Christmas Song" and John Lennon's "Happy X/Mas(War Is Over)".

While I don't have one of their CDs, the Trans Siberian Orchestra I think made a special delivery to Santa for me, and IMHO their music may just be the best crossover between rock & classic since Rick Wakeman of Yes.

So, list your favourites here, what do you like to listen to this time of year???

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Being from NJ I have to give a nod to Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

Also:

Mellencamp: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Keith Richards: Run Run Rudolph

Bryan Adams: Run Run Rudolph

John Lennon: Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Paul McCartney: A Wonderful Christmastime

Paul McCartney: I'm Carrying

....so many more

Trans-Siberian Orchestra. No contest.

Saw them front row center this year and was blown away. Now I'll be listening to rock-oriented christmas music all year!

Awesome responses everyone!!

Thanks and keep 'em coming!! I've started a Playlist on my iPod for all these.

Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight) - The Ramones
Oi To the World - The Vandals
Little Saint Nick - The Muppets version

Mine is a bit odd, but it's Fairytale of New York by the Pogues

It was christmas eve babe
In the drunk tank

It's so charming

Good calls on Blue Christmas, The Waitresses, Ramones, Pogues, and Little St. Nick

----
The Chipmunk Song. FU. It's great.

Run Rudolph Run -Chuck Berry
Christmas - The Who
Jesus Christ - Big Star
Pretty Paper - Roy Orbison
Father Christmas -The Kinks
Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC
U2's version of (It's Christmas Time) Baby Please Come Home

Not really rockin', but you need a place for "Christmastime Is Here" and "Linus and Lucy" from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I always associate Al Green's and Annie Lennox' duet of "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" with Scrooged so it gets extra play around now.

The climax of the Chambers Bros' "Time Has Come Today" is an extended reverbed freak out structured around the melody of the "Little Drummer Boy"

Anything from Chicago's Christmas album. This is one instance in which I don't think Terry Kath and Peter Cetera could make it sound better...Scheff and Champlin have the voices for a bit of Christmas music.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Mannheim Steamroller.

A lot of the stuff from "A Very Special Christmas."

And in a "I can't believe I'm admitting this" moment, "Last Christmas."

I'm way to old fashioned for this thread. I generally don't like folks messing with my Christmas Carols. The closest I'm going to get is something by The Vince Guaraldi Trio (What child is this or Hark the Herald Angels Sing) :thumbup1:

Top Bottom