What's new

Pain in the Neck

Hi Everyone!

I posted earlier today in this forum (titled Day 1) and I received very positive and helpful comments. Thanks to all.

Over the course of the day, the bottom half of my neck has gotten progressively redder and has a few bumps. I'm treating it with an aloe vera gel. It's quite painful and very uncomfortable.

Could this be some sort of razor burn from the DE since this was my first DE shave? Perhaps for some reason I shaved a little lower on my neck than I used to with my disposable razors.

As Niall pointed out in my earlier post, I neglected to perform a proper pre-shave cleaning and conditioning. I will certainly do this in the future.

Overall, I'm enjoying getting into the world of wet shaving. The brush and the soaps and the smells are great. I just hope this neck irritation is very temporary.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

Dirk

p.s. - why does it say "ex-lurker" under my user name?

The neck generally takes a while to figure out. It tends to be a bit more difficult to maintain proper angle and pressure in this area, and it's not uncommon for hair growth patterns to change direction multiple times over a small space or sometimes even swirl.

Keep after it and you'll get it figured out.

C

Ceilteach

Dirk, just go slow and easy with your new DE. As Kyle mentioned, the neck area can be difficult to get a real close shave in the first place. The technique you developed with your previous razor will require a gentler touch with the DE. And that preparation can make or break a shave, so be sure to soften the beard up beforehand. Take it slow and easy and I'm betting you will see a big improvement in your next shave.

Since you are now posting here and no longer just 'lurking' and reading the forum, you have become an ex-lurker. :wink:

Welcome to B&B!

Dirk --

Here's a cut/paste of an earlier post on shaving the neck. You'll do fine, you just need some practice. Here's some tips.

Learning to shave the neck and throat are takes some practice, but in the end isn't that difficult. Everyone is trying to be helpful, and are making recommendations of different products. I suspect that the real issue is that you haven't developed proper techique yet. Recommendations to learn the growth direction of you whiskers is very important --you should map out both the beard direction and the appropriate stroke order and direction for your shave.

The shaving issues resulting in razor burn arise from some pretty common causes; in order:

1. too much razor pressure.
2. improper blade angle.
3. overshaving an area.
4. using a blade past it's prime.
5. product sensitivity.

Understand, there can be other causes, but I'll bet you that you're suffering from one or more of the above five, and from what it sounds like, the issue is not a product usage, but is either too much pressure (item 1) or improper blade angle (item 2).

You just need to mentally review what you're doing, and adjust your technique if you are aware of transgressions of any of the first four items listed above.

Make sure that your shaving strokes are unhurried and deliberate. A 'scuff' (improper angle) produces razor burn. A 'scrape' (too much pressure) will result in a 'weeper'. Overshaving is making repeated strokes, shaving the same area, especially when done without re-lathering, and results in localized irritation. Make certain you are using a good blade, and swap for fresh as necessary.

One of the indications of a bad product reaction is a generalized sunburn-like hotness apparent to the touch of your skin. Razor 'burn' from poor shaving technique or use of a dull blade will subside rather quickly; but razor burn from a product reaction will persist.

You just need to shave daily and gain practice from your shaves. Be very attentive to use a shallow blade angle and make the strokes with a very delicate or neutral pressure on the razor.

I'm confident that you'll quickly learn to shave the neck/throat smoothly without irritation.

The neck generally takes a while to figure out. It tends to be a bit more difficult to maintain proper angle and pressure in this area, and it's not uncommon for hair growth patterns to change direction multiple times over a small space or sometimes even swirl.

Keep after it and you'll get it figured out.

That's a very important point made by Kyle. Check to see the growth pattern on your neck. You might be shaving against the grain and hence the problem.

Top Bottom