What's new

Do you use straights all the time?

How many of you use straights all or almost all the time and have been doing so for a year or more?

I got into both DE's and straights about 2 months ago. I concentrated on the straights and have gotten so it all works out pretty well except it always needs a little touch-up around the chin and upper lip areas.

I don't cut myself but get, as they say, little "weepers".

On the other hand I can get a pretty smooth all over shave in one pass with a DE. I think for me I'll consider shaving with a straight as just a hobby and just something I'll do every now and then to keep up the skill.

I enjoy shaving with a DE and kind of look at straight shaving as pointless in the sense that if it takes longer than 2 months to get a completely smooth shave...why bother? :) Shaving shouldn't be brain surgery :) Maybe there was a reason people moved on from straights to DE's. :)

Shaving with a straight is enjoyable and I don't intend to stop doing it entirely.

I guess my question is...are there really all that many people who shave with a straight every day and continue to do so for years (after the initial interest has worn off)?

Last edited:
I guess my question is...are there really all that many people who shave with a straight every day and continue to do so for years (after the initial interest has worn off)?

Looks like there are at least two. ;-}

Shaving with a straight is much more enjoyable to me. I get close shaves and I use razors I have restored or made. The whole karma thing is working. The DE is faster but I end up with longer lasting shaves with the straight - mostly because I love shaving with them and probably pay much more attention to getting a great shave. If I'm in a hurry, I'll use the DE for touch up so I can buzz out the door but even then, it is minor touch up (my lip area mostly). Haven't used the DE in a while, though.

I started with more DE than straight, but have been gradually shifting to more straights. It's just more enjoyable to me.

I tried my DE (or was it a disposable cart? I can't remember) months ago and nicked myself just like I used to. Other than that, I shave 6-7 times a week with a straight.

I use straights exclusively at home and have done so for several years now. I do keep a single DE for what little traveling I do. If I were a regular traveler or was headed somewhere for an extended length of time I would take a straight setup.

The toys are cooler (honest and blades) and for me the shave is a bit smoother and long lasting.

Last edited:
I have only been at it for 6 months but, I started with a DE and after getting my first straight razor shave right, I was hooked. Almost exclusively with a straight for that time period.

I use straights all the time. I don't own a DE. When I travel I bring a simple set up with me.

I've been primarily a straight user for almost a year and a half, and I still keep the EJ89 and some blades around just to spice things up on occasion or when I'm feeling to lazy to bother stropping, etc... Which isn't very often thank God.

The more you use a straight the better you'll get and eventually you should be able to shave just as fast as any other method.

I do still use both occasionally, but mostly straights. As long as they are honed well and stropped, the shave they give is usually less irritating than most safety razors can be.

Pretty much. It's been a few months since I've used a cart on my face... that only happens when I'm not feeling well and don't feel like focusing on shaving, but MUST go out so I can't skip it.

I normally use a Mach-3 on my head, but weekends and holidays if we don't go out, I'll skip it completely, and once I've got 3 day's growth, I'll mow my head down with a straight because the cart clogs too easily.

I used to shave with straights almost exclusively but it has become less and less due to me preferring the Artist Club razors, in fact most of my collection of straights has found new homes where I'm sure they get much love.

As a newbie learner, I don't even use a straight for a complete shave. LOL.

I had shave no. 4 last night and I'm still finishing the shave off with a DE. I want to get good enough so it doesn't matter what I pick up to shave with.

I'll be doing this for some time until I get my techique down.

I have shaved daily with only a straight razor since joining the forum the exception of the first couple weeks. Never looked back either.

Top Bottom